Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had tried a spray-on soundproofing product on their G. It's definitely a quieter car than my Sentra, but it's still a little louder than I'd like at highway speeds. I'm going to line my trunk with some sort of soundproofing material, but I was thinking about using something like QuietCar to spray inside the wheel wells and (possibly the under-carriage?). I just wanted to check and see if anyone had tried anything like this. I'd rather not rip out the carpet to line the interior, if spraying underneath the car or the wheel wells would help almost as well. I haven't found much info on G20.net regarding soundproofing, so I thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hamzter said:
This stuff makes the car quieter and is not quiet as heavy.

Parts Express Lightweight Vinyl Deadener

Check it out... I got one big sheet for the trunk.
That stuff looks great. I'd really like to line my trunk with that. I'd also consider using some in the door panels, too. At .05" thick, it seems perfect. Do you think that it could be used on top of the wheel-well plastic liner? Just a thought.

Oh, and in your case, did you just focus on the trunk? I know that it is obviously the least unsulated part of the car, so it would make sense that lining it with sound deadening material would make a big difference. I'm assuming you bought the 27" X 40" sheet for the trunk, too? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Yes. I would also consider lining under the rear seat and some parts of the top under the headliner.

I would nix doing inside the fender wells.

What are you trying to achieve again?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hamzter said:
Yes. I would also consider lining under the rear seat and some parts of the top under the headliner.

I would nix doing inside the fender wells.

What are you trying to achieve again?
I'd just like to isolate the cabin from road noise as much as possible. A lot of my driving is on the highway (and a lot of the Tulsa area highways are pure crap) so the road noise is pretty loud.

I was just thinking about the fender wells because they're definitely a thin, uninsulated surface that let's a lot of road noise in. But I'm not dead set on doing anything to them. Lining the trunk and various interior parts would surely help.

Under the rear seat seems like a good idea as well.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
KwikyMAN said:
would you say this stuff is comparable or better than dynomat?
Comparable yes...

Better yes due to $$$ difference.

It is light also... I have not found any light version of Dynamat comparable in price.

Also my friend pulled his door panels, headliner and all the columns A, B off and lined the inside with dacron/pillow stuffing and the interior was incredibly quiet.

Don't forget that if you are using aftermarket tires with larger wheels round noise could be more prominent.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I was inspired to start working on this yesterday - and I was impatient too, so I went with Frost King air duct insulation (from Lowes). I found some websites (inlcuding a Corvette forum) that said Frost King was as good or better than original Dynamat (then some crazy Dynamat supporters stepped in and started a brawl). I'm not going to make such claims - but at $1 a square foot, it's far cheaper than the cheapest "soundproofing" materials that are essentially the same thing. It's got a rubber side that is slightly sticky and a foil side that helps it form to irregular shapes. It doesn't stick extremely well, so I used duct tape to seal the seams.

As for now, I've lined my trunk (bottom, sides, behind the jute carpet on the trunk lid) and it's already more quiet in the cabin. Not as quiet as I'd like to achieve, but better. I'm not sure where I'll insulate next - possibly under the rear seat, seems like a fairly easy place to get to. I'm going to take a look at the wheel wells tonight after work - they still seem like a problem spot. The guys at the Corvette forum were pretty adamant about them needing insulation. If I find a way to do it/think it's necessary, then I'll post some pics of how it went.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I thought I'd update since I've gone even further with the sound proofing. I took out the rear seat bottom, and from there, unhooking the rear carpet is very easy. So I went ahead and pushed up the rear carpet and Frost King'ed the rear floorpan, over the 'hump', as well as portions of the rear seat pan. I was able to hold the carpet up enough to allow me to slide a long piece of insulation up under each of the front seats. The difference is very dramatic. Road noise hasn't been canceled out entirely by any means - and my next task will be to line the front floor pans - but the rear floor + trunk insulation have drastically decreased overall interior volume. Also, the stereo is 'louder' as it fights the road noise less, and bass (from the stock system) is more evident at highway speeds. It feels like the trunk is somewhat of a solid chamber for the bass now, instead of a lossy metal can.

Oh, and for anyone worried about added weight - each roll of Frost King is 3 lbs. I've used 2 so far, and I don't think 6 lbs (or 9 after the next roll) is terrible for a quiet interior.

·
Premium Member
6,140 Posts
Mack20 said:
.....Oh, and for anyone worried about added weight - each roll of Frost King is 3 lbs. I've used 2 so far, and I don't think 6 lbs (or 9 after the next roll) is terrible for a quiet interior....
Thanks for the update! Just a few questions:

1. How many square feet per package?
2. Can you send me a pic of the label and/or label of the actual packaging ([email protected])
3. Has anyone seen this at Home Depot? More specifically, somewhere in Canada??

Thanks!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
slimlou said:
Thanks for the update! Just a few questions:

1. How many square feet per package?
2. Can you send me a pic of the label and/or label of the actual packaging ([email protected])
3. Has anyone seen this at Home Depot? More specifically, somewhere in Canada??

Thanks!
1. 15 square feet per package (@ $14.99/roll = $1 per square foot - not too bad!)
2. Pic: (from http://mikemercury.home.att.net/sound.htm)

3. I believe it can be found at Home Depot, too, but I am not 100% certain.

I was reading up on Frost King the other day, and apparently it's one of the few materials approved for use in insulating/soundproofing small aircraft. Who knew?

·
ʎןןnɟ˙˙ǝdo&#6
2,773 Posts
I think I may be tackling this kind of project on Friday. I'm so tired of the road noise I get. I'll have an update posted after I get through all it. I'm planning on doing most of the firewall, front floor, rear floor/seats, rear deck, all the trunk, and doors.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Awesome. You should really try doing the door panels also, that will make a huge difference. Keep up the work and updates!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Right on...

You found another well worthy alternative for sound control...

I am definitely going to look into this once my turbo gets installed...

how much did that roll weigh?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
deftapcubus said:
I think I may be tackling this kind of project on Friday. I'm so tired of the road noise I get. I'll have an update posted after I get through all it. I'm planning on doing most of the firewall, front floor, rear floor/seats, rear deck, all the trunk, and doors.
Hey, I know I haven't provided any hints so far - but I was wondering if you could share some hints/tips for getting to the firewall, getting the front carpet up, and possibly the door panels too. I've got the FSM, which should come in handy for the door panels - but sometimes there's just one more hint that really helps the interior parts come apart (without breaking things).

I've done my entire trunk and the rear floor pan, but I'd really like to do all the door panels, front floor, and firewall too. Getting the carpet up in the back was pretty simple - I just dug in and figured it out. I suppose it would be that way for the front, but I haven't looked into it yet. By the time I'm done, I want every square inch Frost Kinged!

·
Registered
11 Posts
aybe I'm not understanding this, but you said that the self adheive on one side of Frost King doesn't stick well, so You ducktaped it. Did you ducktape the foam directly to the floorpan or you just ducktaped two pieces together and then put the carpet over it etc. It wouldn't shift positions over time, would it?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
YoungFlyG20 said:
aybe I'm not understanding this, but you said that the self adheive on one side of Frost King doesn't stick well, so You ducktaped it. Did you ducktape the foam directly to the floorpan or you just ducktaped two pieces together and then put the carpet over it etc. It wouldn't shift positions over time, would it?
The stickiness is just so/so. It wouldn't, say, stick by itself upside-down from a piece of metal (such as within the trunk) for an extended period of time. I just duct tape the seams. The stickiness actually seems to increase with age - an older roll I had sitting around had become quite sticky (heat also causes the adhesive to become more tacky).

I just pulled up the carpet and placed sheets underneath, duct-taping the seams. Even without the taped seams, there should be very little migration of the sheets underneath the carpet - there's just not much room for it to travel and the stickiness is sufficient to grip it to the floorpan, especially under the pressure of the carpet and people's feet.

deftapcubus - any updates? I was wondering if you've attempted to frost king your G yet. I insulated the rear doors, which was really easy, and it helped. I was wondering if you had any tips for the firewall or any other problem spots.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Did you clean the surface before applying?

That is part of the prep work for sure. I use Acetone to clean and prep the area for adhesion. In some cases I wash with soap and water and then acetone prep the are before applying. During cold weather I use a heatgun to the area I am applying to.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hamzter said:
Did you clean the surface before applying?

That is part of the prep work for sure. I use Acetone to clean and prep the area for adhesion. In some cases I wash with soap and water and then acetone prep the are before applying. During cold weather I use a heatgun to the area I am applying to.
Yep, cleaning is a must. Just a little dust will render the adhesive mostly useless. Even on a clean metal surface however, especially inside a car that will be getting very hot (like inside the trunk) I'd recommend taping some of the seams if you use frost king. One thing that helps, though, is that the metal side can be formed to the surface your covering - which helps hold it in place. The adhesive on the frost king just isn't very aggressive, which is okay, since removal (if needed) is easier and cleaner.

Unfortunately, areas like the trunk basin and floorpan are irregular and there are few flat surfaces to just strech a sheet out. The more irregularities, the more you need to reinforce the insulation's coupling with the surface.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts