Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it calls for platinum spark plugs in the owners manual but the last time they were replaced it cost $64! Can I run non-platinum plugs such as NGK and will i improve performance?

P.S. Will Mangecor wires also help performance?

·
Registered
194 Posts
It's possible to run for a while without NGK platinums, but I wouldn't recomend it. If you look through some of the threads in the engine forum you'll find that you're not going to be able to improve upon the NGK PFR5B-11 spark plugs. As far as wires go, I would stick with NGK as well. I know that there's a problem with cross-firing with a number of aftermarket wires including the Magnecor wires. If you have the tools and supplies, you can do the replacement yourself. It takes very little time and will cost you a lot less. The PFR5B-11 plugs can be had for less than $17 each online, so there's another way to save money.

·
Registered
138 Posts
for the money you spend on the regular plugs and the magnecor wires...you might as well get the platinum plugs and keep the OEM wires...and besides OEM wires are better anyways.

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
sitck with stock stuff on this one. Buy the parts from Infiniti of Scottsdale www.infinitipartsusa.com

INF-22401-1P116 - Plugs - $8.25
INF-22440-0M702 - Wires - $44.70
INF-22157-0M512 - Rotor Head - $6.29
INF-22132-0M811 - Distributor Cap - $10.86

This is what I paid, you may get a different price.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Direct Ignition...?

Wait...has anyone ever thought of using the Direct Ignition system on the RWD SR20DETs found in the Silvias? I know that all SR20s have distributors except for the SR20DETs on the S13~15. Just wondering if that would be considered a worthwhile upgrade...

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
PA96InfinitiG20 said:
Can I run non-platinum plugs such as NGK and will i improve performance?
The owners manual also states that you can use Conventional Spark Plugs and lists NGK - BKR6E
V-Power Copper Spark Plugs as an alternate plug for the SR20DE. Atleast, the owners manuals I have read does.

If you do buy the copper NGK's, there are a few things to make sure of:

1. The gap on the coppers is 0.031-0.035
2. The coppers only last 30,000 miles
3. Do not buy the BKR6E-11. They are for the GA16DE.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i just replaced my spark plugs because of some random stalling and low idle speeds. whoever had the car before had some generic ass plugs in, and they were corroded as hell. i had advance order NGK platinums for 9.50 each...since they were listed for the SR i just dropped them in. i remember someone saying that plugs listed for a certain engine will be gapped correctly. anyhow, with the NGKs, shifts are smoother and the idle is strong...no more stalls.

anyhow, what 'should' the gap be for some NGK laser platinums. i wanted to pull them out and measure them. i'm somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to tinkering with my SR :smoke:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts