Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a squealing noise coming from my rear right tire/wheel.

It sounds like some metal to metal grinding. It is also more noticeable and louder when going in reverse. It is not very noticeable from inside the car, especially with the radio on.

It is quite cold here in Chicago if that may effect it.

I have noticed some grinding/rubbing sounds when starting to drive before, but this is the first time I have noticed the squeal.

Sometimes it may get a little louder with the brakes applied, but it still occurs without using the brakes.

Any idea what this could be? I assume the worst case is a bad wheel barring, if so, how hard and how expensive is it to fix.

Also, since it is so cold, I won't be able to try anything for a while, so is there anything simple I can try or do to find out what is wrong or fix it temporarily until I can do a better job when it is warmer.

Thanks
________
Portable Vaporizer Reviews

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
ZaRPGfreak said:
may be the heat shield rubbing. get a large screwdriver or pry bar and just push it back and see if it helps. maybe you need new pads?
The heat shield, do you mean the metal going around the rotor? I will try it, I really hope it helps.

My pads checked out fine not to long ago, and why would I get the noise when my foot is off the brake. I will still check it out.

Thanks
________
Dyna

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Check your pads again, especially the inside pad. it could be worn down and rubbing on the rotor. Yes, sometimes they'll make noise when your foot is off the brake, and get worse when applying the brakes. with it being so cold, the caliper might not be fully releasing properly. if the pads are fine, try getting some brake cleaner and cleaning all the dust out of there, I've noticed that helps also.

that's my :2cents: hopefully is not a bearing...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
After trying again I noticed some more. Today, I only had the sound in reverse. Applying the brake did not seem to make a difference.

I did notice though, that if I applied the E-brake and backed up slowly that I would not hear anything. What I don't know is if the wheel was spinning or was still from the brake in the slippery conditions.

Could the E-brake be causing the noise?

Also, as far as checking the brakes, is there any way to do that without taking off the wheel and or the brakes or should I go to a shop for that. This is once again the cold issue. I would have a hard time with anything specific wearing gloves and an impossible time without gloves.

Also, anybody think a car-wash might help something. It might clean out the problem spots if that is the issue, but there is the problem of the water freezing.
________
Vaporizer volcano

·
drunken master
10,098 Posts
take that wheel off nd turn the hub by hand. if you have oem pads installed chances are it is the wear indicator bar hiting the rotor as on oem pads instled right only the right rer wheel wll have the indicator.
you could also have damaged brake or caliber hardward(thin metal thingys) i have seen them brush the rotor as well
just take you wheel of and roatate the hub and find the noise then correct it

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I had my pads checked. And it seems my pads we worn and specifically one of the caliper slides was frozen so the pad was locked, which is the noise and wear.

I changed the pads and had the calipers lubricated. I do have some squeaks when braking when backing up at first, but that should be from the new pads. So I'll wait until they break in.

The brakes are generally quiet under normal driving and braking and interestingly, break much better.

I think that maybe by new front pads are so bad that my rear pads do a lot of the braking which is why they wore out so fast. Does that make any sense.

Next step is to put good pads in the front.

Thanks everyone.
________
DC MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY

·
drunken master
10,098 Posts
well cheep quality pads even though new or broken in generlly squeek.
if youwere ti get oem pds they do not squeek. If they did my customers would be fliping out as soon s the drive their car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.