Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

421 - 440 of 447 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #423
I will not let this die. I will be in the process of updating the images, not sure how long it will take, but I will try.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #425
Well, I'm back. I am done with school and have some free time now. I have some parts to go on the car this year to move closer to the end game. This year includes some power upgrades. The first part of this is a new header. Awhile back I went back and forth with Snickers and came up with specs. It will be a 4-2-1 with a higher powerband than the current header. A friend and I will be building it. Not sure when yet, it won't be in the next few weeks as my schedule is a little busy.

I also have a new fuel rail and injectors to go in. I also have an ethanol sensor to go in to be able to run E85 and monitor the ethanol content to feed into the ECU. The car will also need some new tires, going to more aggressive than I have been running and go with a 200 treadwear rating tire since I work a little closer to home.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #426
I drove my car all last summer without any hiccups, the car has been great to me. A little more than 22K on it since the rebuild and I love it every time I get in. I am hoping to finish up some of the loose ends this year while gaining some power.

After the header is built, I am changing over to an E85 friendly fuels system. This includes a new top feed fuel rail, ID850cc injectors, some -AN connectors, fuel tubing, and an Inovate ethanol sensor.

I installed the gauge last year as I was not happy with how the other 3 were installed.

Just waiting for the weather to warm up. I have been updating the pictures in my other posts as well, it will take some time as I have over 400 pictures to update.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #429
Last Sunday I was able to mock up the header with a friend of mine doing all of the welding. He has build turbo manifolds before and he welds at his day job. It was a learning experience for the both of us but I think it went well. I am hoping it will shift the power band up and broaden it out. Primaries tuned to 8500-9000 and total length tuned to 6500-7000. He should have it finish welded sometime next week.

I got a set of new tires, some Nito NT01s in 205/50/15 instead of the 205/50/16 I was running. I also went in for an alignment, things have been a bit off, I think the new spring settled slightly. It handles much better now and really grips, the car is predictable and rotates nicely now. The slightly shorter tire is better for overall gearing as well.

It will be nice to have all of the loose ends wrapped up this year, the header has been on my list for a long time, as well as the parts I can put on when it is on the car.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #432
Thanks, the header is 304 stainless, but I might wrap it to try and contain the heat. I had to take out the stock radiator fan so I will be going with a front mount slim fan. There is just enough room between the header and the radiator to get the header out so a little heat protection would be good.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Ceramic coat that beast. Don't wrap it. Your state uses salt. Even the environment is enough to warrant coating vs wrap.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #435
The car doesn't see the winter so no salt to worry about. The VRS exhaust I put one since day one is still perfect, but the ceramic coated mild steel header is showing signs of wear. It does see some rain but not much so I think the wrap will be the best route, plus it will be cheaper to do now and to replace down the road if it starts looking ragged.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #436
I had some time this weekend to install the header. The motor pulls all the way to red line now with no signs of letting up. Low end still feels good too. I installed a new wideband O2 sensor but forgot to calibrate it so I don't know where the AFRs are at. I am curious to see what difference there is at idle and low throttle due to the Mazworx header never being fully sealed. The exhaust is much quieter as well, more sound was coming from the leaky header than I thought.

I also installed a new slim fan radiator fan and mounted it on the front. This cleans up the bay a bit and makes more room for the header.

I also figured out why the old radiator fan never came on. The ignition switched wire coil of the relay would dip to 0v when ground was applied so it would never close. I ran a new wire to it and everything is working fine now.

Hoping to drive it to work tomorrow for an extended shakedown and log some AFRs. Not sure when I will have time to install the injectors and ethanol sensor yet, but hopefully soon.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #439 (Edited)
Viprdude is correct, radiator fan, although not installed in those pics, is now a pusher mounted in front.

I was able to get a log last night and the results look good. The car starts to lean out above 7500 RPM indicating it is moving more air and thus making more power. The overall tune is off about .5 an AFR point because the old header was leaky before the wideband O2. I added some fuel in the upper RPMs and will log my way to work. I am not going to tune much now until I get the new injectors installed. But my butt dyno and log results show the header is doing what I wanted.

·
Questioning Answers
6,853 Posts
nice man,

I hope to get my car running by the end of summer....but Ive said that for the last 5 years.....

421 - 440 of 447 Posts