Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I spent the past couple days replacing my timing chain, water pump, guides, front main seal, fresh RTV, and I have to say, the engine on my G20 is much less noisy and isn't a leaking mess anymore.

However, I still have some noise coming from the head. It is not rod knock, trust me, it is NOT rod knock.

I haven't pushed on the lifters yet, but I suspect they are causing the annoying tapping noise I've been hearing for the past couple thousand miles. When I had my motor torn down for the timing chain install, everything was visually in the head appeared to be in good shape.

To my question now, has anyone gotten away with pulling their lifters and just bleeding them to remove the noise? How long has this held up until the lifters started making noise again? Does it matter if you bleed them with lighter/heavier weight oil?

The other more expensive option would be to replace the lifters, which I'm not opposed to, but don't want to take this route if I do not need to.

So I'm asking for some help and advice, I want to have my car running rock solid before the winter. Any hydraulic lifter experts please chime in.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Did you remove your chain guard? Could be your new chain settling in and hitting on that. If you didn't already, I'd start with removing that since it's a quick and easy job. If you already removed the guard, you could try bleeding your lifters next like you mentioned...I would imagine heavier oil would hold up longer. I bled mine when I swapped my motor, and it helps some, but I've just resigned myself to the fact that the SR20 has a really noisy drivetrain.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did, I tore down the motor, replaced the timing chain, and replaced the guides. I'm not running a guide on the top.

My lowport on my P10 seemed much smoother than the DE in my P11. I'm hoping I can get away with bleeding the lifters, and not having to worry about tearing this motor apart again until 200k. That would be ideal.

·
Registered
424 Posts
You should order some Kreen from Kano Labs. People swear it quiets lifter noise. I've been using it on another car of mine to stop/slow oil usage. It's working for me. Do some research on what Kreen can do and not do for you. It's easier than removing/replacing lifters.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.