Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There isn't much information on the US roller rocker engine differences. Most just say they are all the same engine. This started about a year back when I swapped a 68k mile P11 roller rocker in my girls B15 and then it felt slower. Then I took her old B15 roller rocker and rebuilt it to factory spec and put it in my P11 turbo car and it felt quite a bit perkier... I thought to myself maybe Nissan used different cams because I was pretty sure the paint marks on the cams were different between them, But I wasn't curious enough to rip the cars apart just to find out.

Since then we just started my brothers new build with a B15 engine and I have my old P11 RR engine sitting in the garage so we can find out! So far we have CC'd the head and next we will degree the cams.

The Head:

2000-2002 Infiniti G20 P11 cylinder head

86mm Bore
86mm Stroke
.087 in Deck height
46CC chamber
9.5:1 Compression
1998 CC Displacement

2000-2001 Sentra SE B15 cylinder head

86mm Bore
86mm Stroke
.087 in Deck Height
44cc chamber
9.8:1 Compression
1998 CC Displacement

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Verified head #'s
2000 Infiniti G20 Base automatic - 9L
2000 Infiniti G20 Touring automatic - 2L

2000 Sentra SE automatic - 5R
2000 Sentra SE Manual - 4R
2000 Sentra SE manual - 2R

----------------------------------------------------------------

The Cams:
If you look up part numbers on both engines you will only find 13020-7J501 Intake and 13020-4M810 Exhaust

2000-2002 Infiniti G20 P11

2000-2001 Sentra SE B15

We did find that the head chambers are different for sure. The Sentra got a compression bump and looks to be different cam specs from the FSM.

2000 Sentra SE Auto RR head - Y2KG20 Autotragic car

2000 Sentra SE 5 Speed RR head - JamesJVO car

2000 Infiniti G20 automatic RR head

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cam Info:

Working on cam colors - probably like VE/VET cam colors...
2000 P11 T Auto - Intake Orange/Black - Exhaust Orange/Black
2000 B15 SE Auto - Intake Orange/Green - Exhaust Orange/Black
2000 B15 SE Manual - Intake Orange/Black - Exhaust Orange/Black - Prod Number 102965
2000 B15 SE Manual - Intake Orange/Green - Exhaust Orange/Black - Vin 3N1BB51D0YL102028
We are still verifying the cam info - To be continued....

·
Registered
13,187 Posts
very interesting indeed. ...all I can remember is the former b15 RR 2001 we owned felt like a dog compared to our prior 99 p11 and I suspected the extra emissions crap slowed it down more so than the RR engine change...

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the 2000+ log manifold catalytic converter doesn't make it any faster :) But when I changed our 2000' B15 engine with the low mile 2000' P11 engine it lost some spunk. The car was and still is completely factory stock. Also the swap involved the complete engine,cat manifold,intake,injectors, and accessories. The only difference I found in swapping them was the sentra uses a different model AC compressor.

I really believe the cams are going to measure out differently because feeling a power difference by the seat of you pants can't just be from a little higher compression.. (9.5:1 to 9.8:1)

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Interesting. I was under the impression that they were the same engine.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting. I was under the impression that they were the same engine.
Me too. I always thought why would they make them in the same years any different right? I have a feeling the JDM roller rocker may be identical to our US Sentra engine.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Interesting indeed...

Over here in Europe we also have different types of camshaft in several vehicles equipped with a RR engine.

Following cars have SR20 RR in Europe:

Primera P11 and P11 GT ('96-'99)
Primera P11-144 ('99-'02)
Almera N15 GTi ('95-'00)
Almera Tino V10 ('00-'06)

All of them are said to be 10,0:1 C/R

Primera P11 has 131 hp, GT-version has 150 hp and different camshafts and exhaust manifold.
Almera N15 has 143 hp but same camshafts as P11 GT.

P11-144 has 140 hp and Almera Tino V10 has 136 hp. Both have same camshafts as P11 GT, but they have a newer style intake manifold, more like the US-RR-intake with the smaller plenum.

So if they used different camshafts over here in EUDM cars, it's also possible they did on USDM cars.

Don't you US guys have something like http://nissan4u.com/ over there? It's great for looking up partnumbers and interchangeability.

·
Registered
425 Posts
In inspection and adjustment at last few pages in engine mechanical in the FSM it should tell you cam height. It does for my 96.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Part numbers for the jdm and USDM cams are different p11 or b15. I detailed about a year ago in one of my threads, but you'll also find the 00 and 01 b15 cams are also different. The p11 exhaust cam has the most duration iirc so I paired it with a b15 cam I have forgotten which year however. One is slightly better than the other. Also the the b15 is 9.5:1, that is a typo in the FSM.

Also contrary to belief the USDM and jdm valve springs are the same if you compare part numbers you'll find that out. The low redline on the USDM car vs the jdm (eudm as well) is because of the smaller cams, there is just no power there.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's why we are measuring everything personally. The 2000 B15 head came out to 44cc chamber and the 2000 P11 head came to 46cc. Running the head chamber calculator they came to 9.8:1 and 9.5:1 compression ratio. I have pictures of the casting numbers and I'm going to add those to the thread also. That's why we are going to degree the cams and make sure it all matches the FSM. There seems to be a lot of information out there but it's hard to tell whats right. I would love to catch a 2001 B15 SE in the junkyard sometime...

I'll have to look for your thread and read up everything you have gone through. To some it may be minimal difference stock parts to stock parts but if you are starting a engine build from scratch you might as well use the best for your application.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Hmm. Because I got 44.7-45cc on a P11 head. I guess it could be possible that the head I got was decked.

I just checked the part numbers for the B15 and P11 cylinder heads and the part number is the same...
You are right there though is a lot of misinfo on the forums. A lot of people have written off the RR too so there isn't much solid knowledge from people.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm. Because I got 44.7-45cc on a P11 head. I guess it could be possible that the head I got was decked.

I just checked the part numbers for the B15 and P11 cylinder heads and the part number is the same...
You are right there though is a lot of misinfo on the forums. A lot of people have written off the RR too so there isn't much solid knowledge from people.

Yeah, I have read quite a bit in the last year on the RR stuff but kept getting conflicting info. That's why I have been waiting for the next RR build so I could find out for sure. Both heads were from the original car they came in (I pulled and checked them myself) and had the factory head gasket. Even the oil pans on them were never dropped. Hopefully one day a 2001 SE will end up in the yard one day so I can add it to the list.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe there is a 2001 SE at Robert's near me. :)
Do they have a website? Where in Arkansas are they exactly? I would seriously think about grabbing it just to measure everything out.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Do they have a website? Where in Arkansas are they exactly? I would seriously think about grabbing it just to measure everything out.
http://robertspartsupick.com

It's in Moffett, OK on the other side of the Arkansas River, which is 2-3 minutes from downtown Ft. Smith. The website lists the year and model, not the sub-model or engine size, but if I remember correctly the '01 is in the first 10 rows and is an SE. I'm heading out there tomorrow to pick up an FPR, so I can double check for ya and I may also be able to meet you there to pull the engine if you decide to do that.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks man, If you could get the info on it I would appreciate it. If you can see the engine block number (or snap a pic) and vin plate I would be curious if the engine is original to the car.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thanks man, If you could get the info on it I would appreciate it. If you can see the engine block number (or snap a pic) and vin plate I would be curious if the engine is original to the car.
I'm not going to be able to make it out today after all, sorry, but I should be able after work Saturday. I still have your number, so I'll text pics to you as soon as I get them.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The shortblocks are the same. Same pistons, rods, crank and block. So far the only thing we have verified is that the sentra head casting is 2cc smaller making a .3 compression difference. I'm sure the cams are probably different since the service manuals show it but we are going to check them anyway.

So to answer the question: swapping the head works (G20 head 9.5:1 or B15 head 9.8:1)

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
The shortblocks are the same. Same pistons, rods, crank and block. So far the only thing we have verified is that the sentra head casting is 2cc smaller making a .3 compression difference. I'm sure the cams are probably different since the service manuals show it but we are going to check them anyway.

So to answer the question: swapping the head works (G20 head 9.5:1 or B15 head 9.8:1)
Are you sure the short blocks are the same?

The part numbers are different from P11 and B15. The new superceeding part number is the same however.

Pistons Grade 1
2000&2001 B15 A2010-7J400
2000+ P11 A2010-5U010

Superceeding number is A2010-4M860 for both.

The differing pistons would lead me to believe there is something different with the pistons on the B15 on original blocks. You might want to check the dish on those.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts