Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Part numbers for the shortblocks themselves from Nissan are also different...

B15 101037J4H0
P11 101037J4M0

So there is something different. FYI the short block doesnt include water pumps/oil pumps

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ok, I guess I should have said they are both 53J / DE style / Non girdle blocks. The cranks are both 4CW same bolt pattern. Pistons are 2J 2 castings.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
What do you think are different between the pistons? I don't think Nissan would assign 2 different part numbers to the same part...

Also in your compression ratio calculations, what cc have you been using for the dish on the RR pistons?

Edit:
While I have both 00 P11 long block and a 01 B15 long block, I'm not keen at the moment to pop the heads off to check the dish volume. Eventually the P11 one as it is dead, but the B15 is a good motor so I am going to use that soon.

·
Registered
782 Posts
What do you think are different between the pistons? I don't think Nissan would assign 2 different part numbers to the same part...

Also in your compression ratio calculations, what cc have you been using for the dish on the RR pistons?
Maybe the head is silghtly shorter on the B15 head to increase compression ratio. For the part number difference, that could simply be the reason of the parts are located and assembled at different parts of the world? P11 being Japan-made and B15 being Mexican-made? The fact that a supercession chain leads to the same part number would be further evidence that they are the same block. (or now they have been modified to be the same)

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
A little more digging on the part numbers suggest the pistons on the US B15 pistons are unique. The USDM P11 piston part number is available in Japan (used only in W11,V10, C24 chassis), but the B15 one only appears available in North America. Oddly, the JDM P11 piston part number is A2010-2J210 for grade 1, which is different from both US P11 & B15. Perhaps for a different compression ratio...

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Maybe the head is silghtly shorter on the B15 head to increase compression ratio. For the part number difference, that could simply be the reason of the parts are located and assembled at different parts of the world? P11 being Japan-made and B15 being Mexican-made? The fact that a supercession chain leads to the same part number would be further evidence that they are the same block. (or now they have been modified to be the same)
Perhaps, but usually there is a seperate part number if the part is in fact different. There is no supercession on the head part numbers and Nissan provides the same part number for both cars. Remember I also did a combustion volume check on a P11 head (had approx 140k on it, which a yard pulled for me), which comes out to roughly what he found on the B15 head.

The locale difference is a valid point, imo. Maybe a different supplier, I've seen that before.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I just started from the factory specs and used this calculator:

http://www.cbperformance.com/v/enginecalc.html

All the numbers I used are on the #1 post.

It all make sense that they would keep the blocks/pistons/rods/crank the same and tweak the head and cams for the application. Also if anyone noticed the head casting numbers are different, maybe if we can get more people verifying original engines to their car and head casting #'s we could tack down more.

If I get more time I can do a volume check on the P11/B15 pistons but I'm pretty sure they are physically the same part. Part numbers, application, market, Japan, Mexico, and manufacturer may all remain a mystery... Part # could change for something as simple as piston skirt coating but now that I think about it my 02' P11 piston laying around I don't think had skirt coating and the 00' B15 and 00' P11 did... I'll have to check on that also.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
That is good idea. Here is what I have. The head I measured I gave away last year so I don't have that one available.

The casting numbers I have

01 B15 is 2J2 8R
00 P11 is 2J2 3L

Edit:

I found the casting number in my photos of when I CC'd the combustion chamber....

Another 00 P11 - 2J2 8R

·
Registered
782 Posts
I just started from the factory specs and used this calculator:

http://www.cbperformance.com/v/enginecalc.html

All the numbers I used are on the #1 post.

It all make sense that they would keep the blocks/pistons/rods/crank the same and tweak the head and cams for the application. Also if anyone noticed the head casting numbers are different, maybe if we can get more people verifying original engines to their car and head casting #'s we could tack down more.

If I get more time I can do a volume check on the P11/B15 pistons but I'm pretty sure they are physically the same part. Part numbers, application, market, Japan, Mexico, and manufacturer may all remain a mystery... Part # could change for something as simple as piston skirt coating but now that I think about it my 02' P11 piston laying around I don't think had skirt coating and the 00' B15 and 00' P11 did... I'll have to check on that also.
I have three 54C heads with different "alternate" numbers on them as well. (like 2R or 2L, I have to re-check to see the exact number used and I will report back). There are no difference between the three heads. In the past 25 years of getting parts from Old Man at the stealership, Nissan vs Infiniti will utilize different part numbers for the same part, sometimes. Not always. Lots of interesting things I have found out trying to order parts for Infiniti vs Nissan when they all use an SR20 engine in differing chassis'.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I will chime in with the head casting number on my sister's '00 once I delve into working on it. The numbers are on the back of the head, correct?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The head casting #'s are on the drivers side of the head. The 2J2 can't be seen without removing a mounting bracket, but the important #'s are under the distributor. I added a pic on post #1 with the autotragic head #.

Added my autotragic car to the list of heads. 2000 B15 SE Automatic casting # 5R

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
That is good idea. Here is what I have. The head I measured I gave away last year so I don't have that one available.

The casting numbers I have

01 B15 is 2J2 8R
00 P11 is 2J2 3L

Edit:

I found the casting number in my photos of when I CC'd the combustion chamber....

Another 00 P11 - 2J2 8R
Hmm, so your 00' P11 and 01' B15 had the exact same head #'s... Do you know if they were the original engines to the vehicles? The dash VIN should match the engine block VIN plate that is on the block under the axle carrier bracket.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Sounds correct, so far the verified sentra heads end with a R and the P11's end with L

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Well we don't have a good enough setup to accurately profile the cams. We will have to make something when we have more time, a bunch of stuff came up and we aren't going to be able to play with car stuff for 2-3 months :( ... We did find out that the 2000 G20 2L head has the same cam color ring markings as the 2000 B15 2R manual engine that we are building. So the only different color cams I have run into is from our 2000 B15 SE 5R head Auto that the intake color rings are different. Pretty sure the "R" heads are all going to be 44cc 9.8:1 but won't know until I find a few more heads and have time to go pull them.

Updated the cam colors on post #1

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Interesting. I should check the color bands on the cams I have too.

The only thing that catches me on the 9.8 stuff is that you don't calculate for the dish on the piston and it seems you use the deck height to compensate for it. I'm assuming you used the calculator to calculate the deck height assuming 9.8 was correct...otherwise the combustion chamber volume would be cylinder head volume + piston dish + head gasket volume would equal the total combustion chamber. If you read on the dash, there are accounts of the 44cc combustion chamber so I don't doubt that part. I really urge you to check the piston dish from a RR, I don't have one readily available otherwise I would do it.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
If I can ever get out to grab that 01' B15 engine I probably will just to verify everything. The service manual shows the .3 compression difference and having CC checked the heads myself just a simple calculator proves that the 2cc difference in the heads equals what the FSM shows. I guess the dish could be slightly different but then the head gasket would also have to be a different thickness unless we are getting back to saying the FSM is wrong...

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I love the fact you want to get everything verified, as I wanted to do so to. I would hate for more misinformation if we assumed the FSM was correct in all respects...so far with your checking of the cams the color bands being the same may signify that the FSM is in fact wrong...so its possible the compression # could be wrong too.

Anyway - the gaskets I am pretty much positive they are the same....the only different ones I am aware of are the metal ones found on the 20v/VETs

21 - 40 of 43 Posts