Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quite correct Vegas, a front mounted ic will cool better than
an top mounted ic stuck in an heated area.

Ball bearings has lower friction than the regular ones,
which makes the turbine shaft spin easier.
This makes a little more responsive turbo in the lower
rpm range when you haven`t got so much exhaust energy.

You could swap the engine yourself whith some basic tools?

·
Registered
952 Posts
The Corrado's are nasty lil things. I have a close Friend who is a big Volkswagon buff He used to have cruises in Hawaii with over 100 cars driving. He had a Golf GTI with a 1.8t supercharged. Then when he wrecked that he was like the first person in Hawaii to start hooking up Audis. It's funny you see all thes VW's and in the mist one supped up Audi is chillin. He parted out his GTI and you see it all over other cars (ex. the rims, the body kit, the custom hood) Can you Imagine 100 SR20's crusing around PCH (Pacific Coast Highway, for you eastcoasters) Man !!! What a naughty time we would have.:monkey:

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
haavja said:
You could swap the engine yourself whith some basic tools?
I wouldn't say "basic," but it's been done in home garages before...

·
Registered
952 Posts
i would feel more comforatable having someone who is familiar with nissans do mine.

·
Registered
137 Posts
GDubinVegas said:
All you people in other states are more fourtunate than I. I live in Las Vegas Nv and need to have my car shipped to another state to have it worked on for a swap.:monkey: Hopefully I can find a good shop in Arizona or California.
McCarran airport ( excuse my spelling) is an international airport and japan airlines has flights going in and out if ur gonna get it from japan. thier rates are ok...its trying to get it thru customs is a pain...lol

·
Registered
137 Posts
Or on second thought u can probably get one from sr20development or McKinney in san diego just to avoid the hassle just take the I 15 south...its somewhere down there and theres some in LA too. AZ might be closer for you tho but i dont know the sources there.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
humm, well looks like it got to this thread after all the questions were answered :)

i my self am probly going to get a u12 det, just for cheepness and the tmic. uless i can get some more money together for a u13 and fmic. or if i have even more cash the aviner with a bb t-25..mmmmmm

also someone asked about if fmic was better then tmic. well yes heat can be a problem on a tmic and you def shouldn't run one with out a hole/scoop in your hood. but the thing about this is a u12 will almost always come with all the tmic equipment and piping, where as a u13 or aviner will only come with the turbo facing forward and no intercooler parts at all.

then the ball bearing vs non ball bearing, this is all about spoolin response, with a ball bearing center section there is a lot less internal friction in the imputshaft on the turbo so it spins much more freely, giving you full boost at a sooner rpm. also makes the turbo more efficent and can free up a few ponies.

and fraychild, have you tried to mess around with your buddies corrado? my boy had one that had a few bolt ons and i would kick his ass in my nx which was also very lightly modded :) i my self am not impressed with and vr6's there all slow.

-Dan

·
Registered
476 Posts
holy cow this is an old thread, it was started over a year ago.

anyways, corrosion, why not get the u13, jgy sells them at the same price and it's newer. if u want that top mount so bad u can buy mine....i promise it'll be cheap cuz it's just lying around anyways. but the best alternative is to pick up one from the junk yard. i was lucky and i got my evoIII fmic for free..heheh

·
Registered
12,427 Posts
Well i don't know if a 94 and later p10 is any diff for swaps but you should check out my GTiR how too. Thats everything i had to do to make mine fit, Its not really that hard, just patience and ask if your not sure.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
haha i didn't even notice this was so old ;) oh well.

i'm on the ropes. i do want fmic of course, but i'm tryin to do this cheep ;) hehehe

isn't the compressor outlet on the u13 facing forward? so i would have to recock the compressor housing to use a tmic which sometimes screws shit up.

but i still have the rest of winter to figure it out :)

thanks for the offer for the tmic i may take you up on that in a few months.

-Dan

·
Registered
476 Posts
you can turn the compressor housing on the avenier and u13, but u need to use the wastegate from the u12. i've also seen people modding the front motor mount cuz it hits.

·
Registered
952 Posts
man this is a old ass thread. I havent been actively posting in a MINUTE! then this pops up in my mailbox. Well I jsut applied for a second job tonight so that I can turbo my SE-R and maybe pu a VE in my G20 I dunno...Just stacking th chips first of all.

·
Registered
91 Posts
This sure is an old thread but hey I'll post my 2c.

The T28 in the GTiR is a wee bit more special than the one in the S15...cant remember exactly what off the top of my head but it produces ALOT more grunt than the Silvias.
The inside of the engine is also REALLY different...smoother and a better flowing head...yes it does have the quad throttle body set up and the frontmount conversion is REALLY common down here too...im starting to think i have one of the only topmount GTiRs in the country!

In General the GTiR is a special wee car and goes like a bloody rocket when the attention is paid to the right areas!

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Ha ha ha

Keyword is "old ass thread" indeed... man... I remember when I posted this... almost about 2 years ago :paranoid: ... I was still a newbie in the game!! :lol:.... Thread Revival People!!! ;)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Dodgysam said:
The T28 in the GTiR is a wee bit more special than the one in the S15...cant remember exactly what off the top of my head but it produces ALOT more grunt than the Silvias.
It's the turbine. The compressor housing is smaller, but the entire turbine section on 'Rs is bigger. An ideal turbocharger setup using all-Nissan parts is an 'R turbine, center, and compressor wheel, with the compressor housing and adapter ring from a Silvia. I'm really suprised that more Silvia guys aren't catching onto this.

·
Registered
12,427 Posts
CowboyDren said:

It's the turbine. The compressor housing is smaller, but the entire turbine section on 'Rs is bigger. An ideal turbocharger setup using all-Nissan parts is an 'R turbine, center, and compressor wheel, with the compressor housing and adapter ring from a Silvia. I'm really suprised that more Silvia guys aren't catching onto this.

The next step up from that is a GT28RS which has a larger comp wheel....

·
Registered
72 Posts
It is not only the turbos there is different from the BB DET to the GTI-R DET engines! Also A LOT of internals have been changed! fx. the GTI-R engine has much larger bearings, better pistons and the intake isn't the same.

·
Registered
1 Posts
holy cow this is an old thread, it was started over a year ago.
*Laughs in 2021

But honestly very useful all this! I wasn't even 6 months old when this was created. But great to know. Putting an avenir T25 Sr20det into me ol SSS Bluebird U13

21 - 38 of 38 Posts