Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just wondering if anyone would know if it is possible to swap the engine in my 93 g20 with a silvia turbo engine meant for a 90+ 240sx

·
Registered
562 Posts
try searching for it on the forum... by pressing the search button up at the top in red

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Old Ninja Lady said:
i was just wondering if anyone would know if it is possible to swap the engine in my 93 g20 with a silvia turbo engine meant for a 90+ 240sx

It is not feasible to install a RWD SR20DE(T) into a FWD car. However, the AWD SR20DET is pretty simple drop-in. Right now with the G20 the biggest issue is intercooler plumbing. Nobody makes a kit yet. So, your plumbing would have to be custom-made. That's not that hard though. I made all of mine, including the downpipe.

There are 3 AWD platforms that offer the SR20DET:

Bluebird SSS
Avanar (sp?)
GTi-R

The Bluebird and Avanar are pretty simple. The GTi-R requires some modifications to install.

For more info, the archives will answer a lot of your questions. Anything you can't get answered there we can certainly help you with. Most likely the archives will help you ask questions that will get you more helpful answers.

·
Registered
201 Posts
geo, if you use a awd det, does that convert our cars from fwd to awd?

man, i don't know shit about turbos. i need to search archives and read tons before i get serious about this (i also need a couple more dollars:( ... like $5K )

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
greekman said:
geo, if you use a awd det, does that convert our cars from fwd to awd?
No. The AWD block is almost exactly the same as the FWD DE block. Our FWD gearbox will just bolt right up to it. Almost all of the internals are the same as well (piston coolers and sodium filled valves).

·
Registered
201 Posts
thanks geo. little by little i'm gaining some knowledge about turboing the sr20

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
www.jspecauto.com

if you check out the silvia turbo engines it says that they are available in rear and front wheel drive, is that a typo? I really dont know a whole lot about this.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Re: www.jspecauto.com

Old Ninja Lady said:
if you check out the silvia turbo engines it says that they are available in rear and front wheel drive, is that a typo? I really dont know a whole lot about this.

A typo or they just don't know what car the engines are coming from.

The Silvia is only RWD. Those engines won't work.

The Bluebird, Avenar, and GTi-R are AWD and that is probably what they are getting their "FWD" engines from. But, if they don't know that, I'm not sure I would trust them to get me what I need. I wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of them sending me the wrong thing.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Were there any international names for the Avenar? Just I've never heard of it....

·
Registered
1 Posts
No international names, the Avenir is a Japan-only vehicle. OBDII, BTW.

Not suitable for what I have in mind for my swap :)

James
Toronto ----> moving to Kingston

·
Registered
311 Posts
I see. Out of interest, what needs to be modified on the GTiR engine that doesn't need alteration on the BB det?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
xenobait said:
I see. Out of interest, what needs to be modified on the GTiR engine that doesn't need alteration on the BB det?
You need to add ballast resistors in-line to the injectors. The flywheel must have the bolt holes redrilled larger. There are a couple of other things that are not coming to mind at the moment.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Geo said:

You need to add ballast resistors in-line to the injectors. The flywheel must have the bolt holes redrilled larger. There are a couple of other things that are not coming to mind at the moment.

Thanks!
All these things I have to bear in mind.....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Avenir

The Avenir motors originally came with front-mounted intercoolers, so most of the time you don't get an intercooler when you buy one of these motors since it usually stays with the donor car. I think the Avenir are '97+ motors. The BB DET usually comes with the stock top-mount intercooler. That is something to consider when looking at one of these motors. In talking to quite a few people, the BB DETs are becoming more and more scarce so you will probably have to look a little harder for a BB.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Re: Avenir

Dshaft96 said:
The Avenir motors originally came with front-mounted intercoolers, so most of the time you don't get an intercooler when you buy one of these motors since it usually stays with the donor car. I think the Avenir are '97+ motors.
Actually, my Avenir motor is a '96. Also, talk to your importer about how complete the engines are that they sell. If you get a good importer, a lot of times you get everything - I got the original front-mount intercooler with my Avenir engine.

Also, another small difference, Avenir wastegate springs are set higher than Bluebird wastegate springs, so they run a little more boost, and get rated at 230hp or so. Also, the Avenir's turbo faces downwards (for the FMIC) so there's just a couple tricks to get it to clear the crossmember on the car.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Avenirs are rated at 230bhp? So basically a stock avenir has more power than the GTiR engine. Thats worth knowing. Can anybody confirm this?

In which case, the avenir engine, does it have the same things as the GTiR engine that need adaptation. The main reason for this is that once I get the funds together for a turbo swap (which will be a long time away, assuming I ever do) I'm fairly certain that I will want to be getting some aftermarket parts for the engine. It's a lot easier, in this country at least, to get a hold of GTiR tuning parts. How compatible are these? I know they're all SR20DETs but I also know that the injectors, for example, aren't just a straight swap.

By the time I get around to doing this, the Avenir engines will probably be my best hope as the BB det's will be all but gone. The GTiRs are going to be getting rarer and the Avenirs are the most recent so probably my best bet.

thanks for all the info so far

·
Registered
48 Posts
An Avenir engine is not like the GTi-R engine, it is almost exactly like the Bluebird engine. It only has more power because it's turbo is set up to run hight boost - so you would get this extra power out of a Bluebird enigine using a boost controller to match the stock boost level on an Avenir (I think my Avenir was set to like 7.5 or 8 psi of boost).

So basically, at the same boost levels, the Avenir and Bluebird engines will give similar, if not the same power levels, because they are basically the same engine with the same turbo (the Avenir's turbo just points downward instead of upward).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Oh, and one last thing to note - the *very newest* (1999 and newer I believe, but I am not positve) Avenir engines have a ball-bearing T25. However these newer enignes are extremely difficult to find (or so that's the impression I've been given)

·
Registered
311 Posts
So basically, GTiR tuning parts aren't necessarily avenir tuning parts. Definately worth know that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts