Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just installed a SR20DET into a 1991 G20 but I am having a hard time finding an intake pipe. (From turbo to Air Filter) At the moment I am using the inercooler that came with the engine. I was very supprised to find there was just enough hood clearance to use this cooler. It will still need to be replace in the near future to achive proper cooling.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Sometimes I see in magazines some tuners running turbos with no air filter at all. You can see this in some import magazines like Option and such like that (Turbo Magazine recently featured an RX-7 with a Supra motor in it, the turbines were just open under the hood, sucking air without a filter)...but what if a little grain of sand gets sucked in there? I'm no turbo expert but I think that you can fabricate something custom made for your intake. I'm thinkin that maybe regular cone filters like the JWT POP and such will also fit if you can get piping (I'm guessing).

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is true any car will run with out any kind of air filter on the turbo or air intake system. The issue at hand is how to pipe the turbo intake to the mass air flow sensor. (MAF sensor)

Example, most Honda cars have the MAF located with in the throttle body, therefore all you need is the intake pipe from the trubo to the throttle body. However nissan cars use a MAF located in the air box. Therfore your intake pipe needs to have an adaptor to mount the MAF.

As far as not using an air filter, just plain STUPID. Any air going into an engine or turbo should be filtered.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
First of all, Hondas use MAP sensors, mostly, not MAF sensors. ;) MAP sensors' only requirement is that it be pneumatically connected to the intake manifold after the throttle body, a nice advantage to that system type.

The best thing to do would be to have an exhaust shop fab something for you. That's not cheap, though. I think it'd be cool as hell if somebody found out that you could take a cheap CAI from a Honda or something, cut it in half for the MAF sensor, and use it. I'm dreaming, though, I suppose.

The stock Bluebird or Pulsar pipe also works okay, but I suppose you didn't get one of those. Maybe you should talk to Andreas Miko, JGY, or SR20DEvelopment to see if they have a bluebird intake tract just lying around?

·
Registered
41 Posts
noz13k said:
Hello, I just installed a SR20DET into a 1991 G20 but I am having a hard time finding an intake pipe. (From turbo to Air Filter) At the moment I am using the inercooler that came with the engine. I was very supprised to find there was just enough hood clearance to use this cooler. It will still need to be replace in the near future to achive proper cooling.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
What kind of car did the SR20DET come out of?? I am thinking of doing the same thing with the SR20DET out of a GTiR.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Well, None, just make sure you get the full intake tract from the air filter to the compressor. ;)

'R swap...fun. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I just learned something interesting on SR20DEForum.com; a CAI for a '90-93 Accord should work pretty well, except that it needs a 1" bung for the CBV installed. Something along these lines:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i just finished the first part of my project the p10 is running very smoothly and very fast with the sr20det. i'm very impressed with the power it has.
this car will have alot of potential.
thanks ever

1 - 9 of 9 Posts