Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a dreamer! Have SR20VE -VVL purchased off ebay.Item number: 8041019961
Going to install in a 1994 G20T with 5 speed. The motor came complete with harness, MAF, distributor and ECU. ECU is for a SR20VE with Automatic Transmission. Can anybody speak with authority as to if this will work O.K. with the manual transmission. in my car. I've done all my homework reading other VVL threads and understand the plus and minus points of the stock harness vs. wiring up manual triggers etc. Trying to keep it simple at first and get away without the purchase of a new Wolf ECU until stage 2 mods. Just want to get this set up running first. Regards from the Seattle area!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
You can't use the VE ecu as it is OBD I, and your car is OBDII.... It wont plug in!! You could if you get an OBDII to OBDI Harness adapter to do that.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FYI: 1994 G20T is OBDI equipped. When I first purchased the car in stock trim I tried to have Autozone read it for me which they do for free. Pretty generous! They could not plug into my ECU. Can only ready OBDII which is 1996 and newer as they explained it to me. Will try Calum as suggested. What is a "safc" Thanks for your input

·
Registered
253 Posts
Phatg20 is right 94g20t is obd2 the plug is on the passenger side not the driver side

·
Registered
127 Posts
Save yourself the hassle and just use your existing engine harness and ecu. The engine will run fine. Set timing at 20 degrees btdc. You can temporary run it until you get a chipped ecu from Calum or Jwt.

·
G MERA
5,199 Posts
masterlink said:
FYI: 1994 G20T is OBDI equipped. When I first purchased the car in stock trim I tried to have Autozone read it for me which they do for free. Pretty generous! They could not plug into my ECU. Can only ready OBDII which is 1996 and newer as they explained it to me. Will try Calum as suggested. What is a "safc" Thanks for your input
Where did they try and conect the scanner to? I know that my local autozone will just automaticly become lazy and tell you "oh no we can't read it" not even checking to see if your pre 96' vehicle is OBDII.

You could run it on the DE ecu for a while, but don't count on having any fun.

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
masterlink said:
safc is an "air fuel computer". you can use it in conjunction with your stock ecu and adjust the amount of fuel in relation to the amount of incoming air and also compensate for different sized injectors and different maf. usually you need to do some tuning with a wideband or on a dyno.

also like everyone else already stated... the 94 g20 is obd2 equipped

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Autozone tried to plug in from fuse box. Getting enough response from those of you in the know to believe this is OBDII. I studied up and figured out how to read out codes from stock ecu prior to starting the swap. A simple and good education for any rookie like me! ECU was on passenger side of console. Most everything is loose from the engine bay and I hope to have the stock motor on the ground tomorrow. Would like to think that I could use the stock harness and ecu short term as "5speed" suggests just to see the VE motor run and know it is healthy etc. Obviously no valve switching will occur. Should I expect stock performance? Everyone else good with that approach? Hope to have some pictures posted tomorrow. Thanks to all for your input. Please hang in there with me through this process!

·
G20 OG
6,684 Posts
masterlink said:
Autozone tried to plug in from fuse box. Getting enough response from those of you in the know to believe this is OBDII. I studied up and figured out how to read out codes from stock ecu prior to starting the swap. A simple and good education for any rookie like me! ECU was on passenger side of console. Most everything is loose from the engine bay and I hope to have the stock motor on the ground tomorrow. Would like to think that I could use the stock harness and ecu short term as "5speed" suggests just to see the VE motor run and know it is healthy etc. Obviously no valve switching will occur. Should I expect stock performance? Everyone else good with that approach? Hope to have some pictures posted tomorrow. Thanks to all for your input. Please hang in there with me through this process!
i think it would be less tha stock performance as the duration on the small lobe is a lot less than stock cams.. throttle response would be better because of the better flowing head and higher ocmpressiion

·
Registered
41 Posts
masterlink said:
Would like to think that I could use the stock harness and ecu short term as "5speed" suggests just to see the VE motor run and know it is healthy etc. Obviously no valve switching will occur. Should I expect stock performance? Everyone else good with that approach?
Do exactly as 5speed said, and you will be fine. Use the USDM harness and distributor (grind down the tab), set it to ~20* and you will be fine. The car will run a little rich while it adjusts to the injector size (you could use the DE injectors if you want).

I wouldn't use the VE ecu since it has a lower rev limiter anyway. Plus use Summit switches or a GReddy MSS to switch the cams where you want, and not where the factory set it.

Without the cams, you should feel a touch more than a DE; but cams are where it is at. If you are using the stock DE manifold, then that will be a bottle-neck, but the car will run.

Josh
->(VE, MSS, DE MAF, and I originally had my DE ecu at 20* - ran like this for a couple thousand miles, so I'm not just speculating).

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
O.K. I will stay with the factory harness and ECU (short term) Will keep stock VE injectors installed. I do have the VE distributor but should I use the DE distrib as advised? Curious as to why or the differance - because of the ECU? I have the article explaining grinding down tab down to fit. I also have the VE MAF - same question should I use the DE MAF because of stock ECU or what is the real decider on these issues?? When I upgrade the ECU would I then switch back to the VE distributor and MAF?

When I get to the valve switching there seems to be at least 3 options:
1. MSD8969 2. Summit 830449 and 3.GReddy MSS.
Greddy unit will switch both solenoids in a single unit vs. buying two each of the others. Also looks like it would mount inside the car. Is the GReddy the trick set up? Are the other options any easier to install or do they have other advantges?

Really appreciate the input. Please keep it coming!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
There are riostats inside the summit boxes, that set the rpms. One sets 1000's the other sets 100's. You just turn the little screws' to set ur RPM"s

If you have a OBDI car or an OBDII to OBDI adapter you can use the stock VE ECU.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts