Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago i saw a jap market only p11 SR20VE/T,but i cant remember what web sit it was on.It had a slightly diffierent body kit and a bigger rear spoiler.Has any body else seen a pic of this car,if so can you let me have the web site address.Cheers

·
Registered
65 Posts
uh, yeah, if anybody knows where to get a VET, lemme know. 280 horses sounds like a great idea for my p10

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
SR20VET is for a RWD vehicle and won't readily drop into the P10 or P11. It's in an SUV called "X-Trail," (why an SUV of all things is beyond me) and it'd probably more easily drop into an S13~S15 than anything else.

There have been people who have MADE SR20VEs with turbo...effectively a SR20VET. Try the search function... I had asked a question about this a couple weeks ago. Basically though, it's an SR20VE with DET pistons, squirters, etc. and the turbo of course...:rambo:

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
It's actually an AWD motor. right now there's on turboed VE in the US right now and it's in an NX2000.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Wow this is a really old rehashed thread. Yeah actually lemme expand on the correction (I didn't have the right info at first)

The SR20VET is a transverse motor, and as JustinP10 said, it comes only attached to an AWD tranny in the Nissan X-Trail (I've actually seen one of these things *mexican license plates*... they're very nice looking. The one I saw didn't have the VET though, it was a 2WD model). So technically speaking, if you happened to run across one of these, it WOULD pretty much drop right into your car. At least if faces the right way.

But consider how many other people are killing for this motor. As soon as an X-Trail hits the junkyards, you know someone's gonna raid it for the motor before we (all they way here in the US) will ever get a chance to touch it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
sr20vet

Actually i believe you also could get in Japan a SR20vet in the 96' and newer Silvia's. There is a guy who is dropping one in a 240 near here. He bought a clip from a dealer in Washington for $3200. It is a RWD motor.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
yeah, I've seen an X-trail in Tucson a couple times. 2wd QR25DE powered. Looks sorta like the Toyota Highlander or whatever it is....

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I didn't know that the X-trail came with 280hp (SR20VET) i tought that the GT Model had the VE not the VET...

Can someone confirm this, because we do have a lot of X-trails in the DR, and I have only seen them with the QR25DE.

Carlos

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
CarloSR said:
The S-15 Nissan Sylvia comes with a SR20VET.

No it doesn't. It comes with the SR20DET. I don't know where this rumor started buy everyone seems to think the S15 has VVL, as I've read this many times on the VE forum. I belive it comes with VTC, like the GA16 Sentra here in the states. The only VET powered car is the X-Trail and it's an option for the car only in the Japanese market as far as I know.
Nissan never made a RWD VE. You can modify a RWD block to accept a VE head, but it never came like that from Nissan.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
No, this will not happen. The S15 Silvia uses an SR20DET which in itself, is quite different from other SR motors. Besides being RWD, it also has direct ignition (no distributor cap) and has a sort of VTC, but I believe on the intake cam only. This is NOT Neo-VVL, like the SR20VET is. If anything, it is most similar to what JustinP10 said... somewhat like the old Sentras, and maybe somewhat like the ol' VE30 engines in older Maximas. Read!

Next up, the next Silvia will probably NOT be V16. That would make no sense. Nissan changes their chassis designations, (ie, the S130Z was followed by the S30Z) but the "V" designation is already being used by the Skyline/G35. (V35 vs. R35) V16 would not work as a chassis designation if Nissan maintains its system.

Finally, the SR motors are being ousted. Great as they are, they are also very very old. They have greatly influenced the four cylinder engine market (GM Ecotec 2.0, Honda K20, etc. are all 86mm x 86mm bore and stroke, just like the SR20) but it's time for the engine to go. It will NOT pass future smog regulations, and as it is, the SR20DET already FAILS the new smog regulations in Japan (these are the same regulations that contributed to the final manufacturings of the RX7, Supra, Skyline GT-R, and the aforementioned S15 Silvia).

The SR20VET is something of a celebration for one of Nissan's greatest motors: think of it as going out with a bang. Unfortunately, it's available only in AWD X-Trail SUVs (2WD versions use the QR motor). An SR motor of any kind in a future Nissan model is highly unlikely. Nissan's new god motor is the VQ. They have made that quite clear.

·
Registered
375 Posts
the VQ is definately a good motor. its won several award and been one of Ward's top motors since it came out in 95.

i am severly disappointed Nissan didn't bring the SR20DET or VE over. the G20 was suppose to compete with cars like lower class 3 series, C class, and IS300 yet its way underpowered.

i still remember the old car and driver review:

"Born in Japan, educated in Europe, needs to work out in an American Gym."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts