Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
alrighty guys... just pulled the SSAC header install this weekend and had a little bit of trouble with it.

First i cracked the radiator overflow nipple (the one that connects to the hose that connects to the overflow tank) while i was trying to pry the exaust gas recirculator pipe onto the header. now i got little green splatters all over the engine bay from where i test drove it (poo) and will have to spend all afternoon cleaning.

Secondly. When all was said and done (finally) and i had that sucker on there and rollin, I noticed that the engine from 3000 to 4500 RPMs was extremely loud. so loud that when i was driving it home up a hill and i had my wife with me we had to practically yell to have any conversation. In high RPMS or in low the sound is not unbearable (in fact, i kinda like it) but it really does get annoyingly loud during that section. Is that to be expected?

HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO HAVE A SLEEPER when i make that much NOISE :)

Anyway, the power gains are great, especially in those hard to reach areas (2500-4000 rpms) really helped the driveablitiy. pulled big hills from top to bottom @ 80mph no downshift :teeth:

·
La-illaha Il-lallah
2,034 Posts
I don't think its suppose to be that loud. Are you sure the bungs you are not using are sealed up well????

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
You have an auto dont you...

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
^ that makes a difference in how loud its supposed to be? :confused:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah...auto....and yea...........um.............relative?

·
Premium Member
6,140 Posts
I installed my SSAC header on about a month ago, but I haven't noticed any increase in noise. For the record, I've got a MT and the rest of the exhaust is bone stock, including the cat. I'm sure the sound level will increase though once I replace the exhaust (cat-back) with a larger 2 or 2.25" sized tubing, a new resonator, and then a bolt-on Remus P11 exhaust (will need to get the Remus direct from Europe) in the springtime.

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
YouthPastorG20 said:
yeah...auto....and yea...........um.............relative?
ChickenWing said:
^ that makes a difference in how loud its supposed to be? :confused:
Actually it does, you tend to focus on the sound more as there are only 4 gears and the revving is quite different when you have 5 gears. The car tends to stay "in gear" before it automatically shifts making the sound more noticeable. I know, I remember when I had the stoneracing headers on the stealthg20 which was an auto P11, when I then had some hotshots on the Maui P11 5-speed it was a whole entire different thing. There is a sweet spot though around 3900-4100RPM's that it completely quiets down, but thats on the highway

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^^^dang i hope not. lemme check and get back to you guys

·
Registered
978 Posts
Mine is loud but not that loud. It has to be a leak somewhere like everyone else says. My headers actually made my AEM intake quieter. It does roar though when you gun it :) - and I have an auto as well.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
new developments.....no roar when in neutral. odd huh? i rev to that peak noise area and I have no noise. Checked everything as best as i could (without stands) for leaks but will be taking it to an exaust place today for full checkup.

seems that it is only loud WHILE DRIVING and pulling hard. I guess that might be because of vibrations or something but i don't know

·
Registered
844 Posts
sounds like an exhaust leak to me. i have an exhaust leak and it is only noticable when under load (not neutral) but mine is tiny so it just ticks. can you get a video or audio of it up? its kind of subjective to say its loud. might be loud to you but normal to someone else.

when i installed mine i did notice more vibration which cancels out sound in the cabin such as talking but it wasnt really loud per se.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Sorta off topic, but what kind of "custom cat-back" do you have? Like what diameter is it? Also, is it VRS, mandrel bent from some1 else or crush bent?

·
Registered
60 Posts
mine isnt that bad at all i just recently put the same header as u on my G and its not loud at all have a video of the sound where everyone made fun of me runnin in the background to the car to rev it lol wut can i say i do it for you guys here it is n if that how urs sounds then yea u got ur thing ryt if not i dk wut to tell ya chek it all out n c if u missed sumtin..
http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n13/d_right5/?action=view&current=100_0555.flv

1 - 20 of 35 Posts