Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
on to the next one..
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, finally installed my SSAC header (the 2.5 downpipe one ;) ).

Now I hear loud clicking/knocking under load. I've looked but I can't see that it's hitting anything. I was thinking Exhaust leak??? It smells like exhaust/gas too but I was thinking that was because the header deletes the precat.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Did you see my thread? http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55367
i had some noise problems too. Havent had time to really try to figure them out but I am gonna get a chance this friday to go to my uncles garage and were are gonna fix that junk. But if you figure out what yours is then just let me know so i can check it on mine

·
on to the next one..
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
posted it up on sr20forum too

the noise is like a woodpecker

im pretty sure its an exhaust leak. one of the bolts was rubbing on the welds of the header and i dont think it sealed right. im going to use a smaller bolt to clear the welds and retorque all the bolts. hopefully that will help.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm experiencing the same noise, the EGR was animalistic to get it to fit. i'll check that out. It is really only under WOT or close to it for me.

Also, somewhat on topic, my Oxygen Sensor hits my fan blades. For now I have one of the fans unhooked for the winter and zip tied to itself.

I'll get some slim fans and maybe run them as pushers in the summer.

·
The Emo Kid.
6,673 Posts
i can tell you its in exhaust leak if its ticking. i know you fixed it, but for future people. if sounds like a jackhammer kinda only not as loud. i can tell you this cause i have the leak now :p it wont cause any harm, its just kinda obnoxious. actually at first i kinda thought it sounded cool =)
the hard part is pinpointing where it is. just gotta retorque the day after. maybe one more time a few days later to make sure its snug. make sure to do all bolts.

·
on to the next one..
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah the jackhammer noise is gone, it was the egr. i just pluged it.

but i now have a grinding, metal on metal noise that happens between shifts under load. i think it might be a leak between teh downpipe/cat flange. or it might be my rear 02 sensor hitting the sway bar, i noticed it was really close to it when i installed it.

im going to take off the sensor and see if thats the new noise. lol

·
on to the next one..
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2000 G-Twenty-T said:
i can tell you its in exhaust leak if its ticking. i know you fixed it, but for future people. if sounds like a jackhammer kinda only not as loud. i can tell you this cause i have the leak now :p it wont cause any harm, its just kinda obnoxious. actually at first i kinda thought it sounded cool =)
the hard part is pinpointing where it is. just gotta retorque the day after. maybe one more time a few days later to make sure its snug. make sure to do all bolts.
do you think its coming from your egr? i know the egr was a problem during the install. mine was a problem too, i just took it off and plugged the bung. try that

·
on to the next one..
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
damn this shit is starting to annoy me

okay i have a leak on the downpipe/cat flange. i can see black spots around the flange. and when im driving i get a headache from all the carbonmonoxide (sp?)

anyways ill fix that tomorrow morning before i eat :)

but when im driving especially when engaging first gear i feel as if the header/downpipe is hitting the car or hitting something. i think it might be the 02 sensor on the sway bar but i dono if that is possible. any other p11s experience this???

·
*BANNED FROM G20.NET*
4,911 Posts
damn making me not want to get mine...at least I know what to do if I experience this haha

·
The Emo Kid.
6,673 Posts
just retorque your bolts hard and you should be fine ugly

mines just between the header and downpipe, i know that much. im just too lazy to get under there and tighten em. its all wet outside, and cold.

·
*BANNED FROM G20.NET*
4,911 Posts
you see dude, Im too fat to even get under there. I jacked the car all the way up, set it on stands and only my head and the top of my chest made it through before getting stuck. :scream: I had to have my skinny friends get under there to change my O2 sensor for me!!! :p

·
on to the next one..
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
okay, figured out everything.

the rear 02 sensor has been hitting the front sway bar causing the clunking and the feeling that something is hitting the body/suspension when i engage first gear.

because it was hitting the 02 sensor it caused it to come loose, thus causing the 2nd exhaust leak.

so im going to plug up the hole with the bolt that it came with and relocated the rear 02 sensor after the cat. this will also clear my CEL. :) cheers

·
on to the next one..
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well kinda wierd, but my CEL went out today all by itself. i have my EGR open and no 02 simulator mods done yet.... car is running awesome now.

·
Administrator
5,071 Posts
Cryss,

I also am hearing the noise you are talking about from my SSAC 2.5" header. While the car is running, if I blip the throttle.. I can feel air coming out of the bung port where the EGR pipe fits in. It looks to me like the EGR pipe just connects in at a bad angle. So this weekend while I'm installing my cams.. I'm going to see if I can't either get the EGR pipe to be at the correct angle, or put in a spacer (or something) to get it to match up correctly. Oh, and the threads on my EGR port are bottomed out.. so it's not like I haven't tried to tighten it enough. :)

BTW Cryss, do you have more pics of your car? I looked at your website, but there weren't many pics of your car mods there.. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts