Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you have any opinions or have ever used a stainless steel air intake filter? I know with regular filters you have to get a special cleaning kit for it but the stainless steel filter, all you have to do is rinse with water. Anybody know how it performs compared to the regular cone filters?

·
Registered
89 Posts
stainless steel air filter?

The only thing I know of that sounds remotely like what you describe is an oil bath oil filter system – but that was waaaaaaaay back!

It involved a large, deep, covered pan device containing stainless steel mesh. A liitle oil was poured into the pan and turbulence would coat the s/s mesh which was supposed to catch particulate matter in the air flow. The were standard on the Rover 60,75,80,90 etc around the late 1950's!

Oil I can understand, but I cannot imagine what the water is supposed to do. Given the airflow to the engine, it would evaporate in a matter of seconds.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: stainless steel air filter?

Gaz said:
The only thing I know of that sounds remotely like what you describe is an oil bath oil filter system – but that was waaaaaaaay back!
Nah, thats not what I'm talking about. Think K&N filter, but with stainless steel mesh instead of the cotton stuff. I've actually tried it before with my old car and I couldn't really tell the difference in performance between the two. I just know that it is much easier to clean then the usuall filters.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
air intake ...

I strongly doubt there is a difference in performance... The whole idea is behind making them stainless steel instead of cotton is probably, indeed, for cleaning purposes... The basic to the filter remains the same in all cases, filter out the dirt/particles in order for CLEAN (cold/hot) air to enter the Throttle body/engine... The performance lies between the fact that the more air you suck, the better you performance... Filter-wise, one may be more resistant than the other (Cotton vs Stainless steel)... If the same amount of air penetrates both filters... performance cannot be an issue there.... :knockout:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I know exactly what you're talking about. I ran the stainless steel filter on my Integra for about a half a year. I hated cleaning the K&N because our driveway at the time was gravel and it made my whole engine bay really dirty. Well I can say that there will not be much difference you will feel but you do gain a horse or so. The problem is that you will get more dust in your motor, only due to the fact that there is nothing but the mesh to catch the particles and the mesh is not as fine as a paper filter. If a K&N needs oil to catch debris, that without it you will obviousley get more of it. And in actuality the K&N gause filter element prevents more debris even without the oil than the stainless steel one. I wouldn't put one on my G :). Well I would If I wanted a DET ;)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I assumed the stainless was Ok recently cuz I saw a twin turbo Supra in Super Street or something and it had 2 stainless steel air filters. Look very nice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts