Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start off, please help me here, this noise is driving me crazy and I don't know what to do about it. The write up is kind of long but I need some help from some people who know these cars.

OK, I find a way to mess up all of my cars and I think I did the same to this one; my 99 G20t 5speed with 95k.

After I got it this summer, I wanted to do everything to make sure it was in perfect running shape. I didn't get very far, I got stuck on the oil; every time I changed it, it was black again in a couple days. So I kept changing it, pretty much every week, in an effort to clean it out. Then I got impatient because I wanted to put my Redline synthetic in.

I used a half a bottle of Gunk motor flush for a couple minutes before I did my second to last change. I was very hesitant to do it and knew it was a bad idea but did it anyway because I can be an idiot sometimes. After that it started to make a disturbingly loud rapping, high revving sound, at start up.

A week later I dropped the lower oil pan, cleaned it out and put it back on... Of course, to complicate things more, when I put the oil pan back on I spun one of the bolts. I haven't noticed any leaking so I haven't done anything about it yet. I put synthetic in and the noise didn't go away.

That was about 5 months ago. Since then I changed the Redline to Mobil 1 and noticed no difference. The noise actually seems to get worse every day since it started. It only makes the noise at dry startup and the car runs fine after.

The noise is a loud rapping, revving sound at dry start up. It sounds like there isn't any oil in the engine. It last about 5 seconds and then disappears.

So here's my list of what I think could be wrong:
1. Gunk motor flush raped the inside of my engine so it makes a start up noise now.
2. Only using half a bottle of the Gunk motor flush freed some big pieces of sludge but didn't do a complete job so maybe a piece of sludge got stuck in one of the oil passages and clogged it. Maybe, it's prohibiting the oil from getting where it needs to be at startup.
3. Something else?? I know about the timing chain noise but this noise sounds a little too violent to be the timing belt, and it didn't make the timing belt noise before I did the oil changes. I could be wrong.
4. I wonder if botching the oil pan reinstallment may be contributing to it.

If anyone has any idea on what this is or how to fix it, please help. I've asked a couple mechanics but they all say change to 5w-30, I tell them it is 5w-30, and they're stumped. I feel like one of these days the engine is just going to seize right up. The noise makes me not want to drive my car anymore... and I love my car.

Thanks - Matt

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Oil always turns black after a couple days, sounds like you were being a bit paranoid about that one. :confused:

But anyway,

As far as the sound, it only makes it at startup? Mainly cold startup, etc. Does it sound like a metal grinding noise?
I have a feeling that you're being hit by the normal SR20 starter grind. Just the timing of when it started is making you think it's something you did wrong. It's not your fault, replace the starter..

do the noises described in this thread sound familiar at all?
http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30970&highlight=starter+grind

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
Well most sr20's have a lil noise on start up due to oil not lubricting the top end right away. I have gotten rid of mine for a long time buy useing the engine flush machine at work and useing royal purple oil with one bg moa. but now recently only on cold mornings i can hear it a lil bit.

·
♥
3,947 Posts
p10det said:
Well most sr20's have a lil noise on start up due to oil not lubricting the top end right away. I have gotten rid of mine for a long time buy useing the engine flush machine at work and useing royal purple oil with one bg moa. but now recently only on cold mornings i can hear it a lil bit.
+1 royal purple took the chain clatter away for me in my white p11. i have another pos gold p11 that i only run reg mobile 5w30, and it clatters every time you start it. this isnt a problem tho unless the sound is anoying you.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oil always turns black after a couple days, sounds like you were being a bit paranoid about that one.
Yeah, I get real paranoid with my cars and over maintain them. I have a little bit of a problem with letting even the smallest problem go... usually it isn't even a problem. :paranoid:

As far as the sound, it only makes it at startup? Mainly cold startup, etc. Does it sound like a metal grinding noise?
It only makes it at startup. Pretty much every time I start it up in the morning and usually when I get out of work if I didn't take it somewhere for lunch. It's kind of a grinding sound, it's so tough to describe sounds in words. I wish there was a way to record it and post it on here. You said you think it's the starter, and I never even thought of that but it might make sense. Can a starter be that loud? I looked at the link you provided and I wouldn't say my problem sounds like that. I definitely wouldn't call it a squeal.

An engine flush machine... does that work well? If I knew that existed I would've done it instead of dumping that flush through.

+1 royal purple took the chain clatter away for me in my white p11. i have another pos gold p11 that i only run reg mobile 5w30, and it clatters every time you start it. this isnt a problem tho unless the sound is anoying you.
I had Redline in there, I consider it the same as Royal Purple and it still made the noise. Maybe I'll still try using some RP.

Thanks for the help. :thumbsup:
-Matt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts