Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 99 G20 that decided not to start this morning. I have my suspicions of why but I figured I'll throw it out there for everyone else to give me some feedback.

It turns over normally but doesn't fire up...it's getting close but just can't quite finish the job and get the car started.

The starter was replaced a few years ago, maybe 40-50K on the new one.

Any ideas or suggestions???

Thanks-

·
Registered
462 Posts
1. Is the battery fully charged? 12.75 volts or better.
2. Cables are clean?
how often does this happen? under what condition? do you have any warning lights on?
3. You got gas in the tank?

Honestly 100 different things could cause this! please provide more info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Battery is fully charged and the cables are clean.

This happened for the first time this morning. It turns over, starts to fire then doesn't catch. The car hasn't been driven for a few days and it is cold and wet but I have never had any problems like this before. I did not have any warning lights showing the last time I drove but now with the key in the ignition and the car not running I see a service engine soon light. I'm not sure if this being lit up now means anything or if it will go away if/when the car fires up.

And yes the gas tank is ~3/4 full, I'm dumb but not that dumb.

Hope this answers your questions-

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
the SES light comes on if the engine isn't running and you have the key "ON" so that probably isn't telling you much.

I know you say the battery is charged, but can you have someone give you a jump any way? Sometime in cold weather electrical systems can be finicky...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had someone try to give me a jump and I have the same problem. The car turns over but won't fire up. It keeps coming real close and almost "sputtering" but it won't go all the way. I'm hoping it's a cold, wet, finicky electrical issue but that doesn't seem likely. I live in Oregon and we deal with that all winter and the car is usually fine. I'm just wondering what could be going wrong now.

Thanks for all the help, it's better to have several trouble shooting this rather than just me.

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
If it turns over fine but won't start it's either fuel or spark that you're missing. Check that you have fuel pressure; if you do, then check your plug wires, distributor, etc.

·
Registered
430 Posts
no fuel. could be sensor or if its cold just not enought fuel. check your fuel sytem for leaks, clogs, crimps

·
Registered
462 Posts
check the fuse for fuel pump to be sure. Do you smell fuel by the exhust when you keep trying to start the car? If so then fuel goes in but no spark.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, I actually managed to get it started but I still have no idea what was causing the problem. When I was trying to start it up I could smell fuel in the exhaust and the fuse to the pump was fine. I also pulled the plugs and checked them over then put them back. After a bunch of mindless fiddling it was still reluctant to start but did eventually fire up. So I drove the car around for a few minutes and then came back home and shut it off. I just went back out to try starting it again and it fired right up as normal but it is warm and sunny now. The weird thing is now the service engine soon light is on?? Any ideas on what could be causing all of this? I'd like to avoid bringing it to the shop if it's something I can do but I'm having trouble pinpointing the problem. I'm going to give it another go tomorrow morning in the cold and wet and see if it happens again.

So any suggestions or things to look for are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
Get the code read at AutoZone. Ask them if it will be free first, because some of them have started charging for the service.

·
Registered
472 Posts
first of all it wouldn't be the starter if it turns over one question how cold it up there, becuase if its really cold if i imagine the fuel could freeze in the lines and not send it, if the car is turning over normally battery and starter have nothing to do with it. it has to be the cold

·
I Gots More NISMO Then U!
2,913 Posts
wow theres tons of ideas out there.................................. but what prob. happened is you flooded the car. Let me guess you park outside? Your telling me everything that has to do with flooding the engine (with fuel) Still dont think thats it pull out your oil dip stick or oil cap smell the oil, if it has a fuel smell to it you flooded it. I would do any LOF. thats what we tell people when they come in with the car on the tow truck because they flooded there car.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
and go get your code read that will tell us more. if it was moisture in the dist. then after turning it for awhile it would have evaporated the water around the rotor but there may sstill be moisture around the inner base of the dist. also the erratic spark patterns could have set off your knock sensor.

·
Registered
462 Posts
okay,Since you had the smell of fuel, there is no freezing fuel line and all that. Too much gas without spark does casue the engine to choke but clears up with in 10 min. Fuel problem, Clearly not your case! Here is what you need to do, check the engine for any codes first and check the wires, cap and rotor for proper resistence. A somewhat faulty wire would do the trick in normal day but in a cold day would not cut it. Also old plugs can be your problem as well. So change the plugs if they got over 40K on them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts