Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Starting another SR20 swap! Updated

Day One-it is almost one o clock in the morning, and i just decided to call it a day. I have been pulling the engine out of my G20 since about 9:00pm (bought it dirt cheap with a rod knock). I still have to drop the shift linkage, and the exhaust as well as disconnect the A/C lines and the power steering lines, but thats it other than mounts. I should have the engine on the floor with another hour or so of work. I am having my wrecked '91 SE-R (the engine donor!) towed to the shop in the morning and hope to have the engine out of that car as well by the time i quit. If everything goes well I would like to have the SE-R engine and trans installed and running in the G20 by the time i knock off on sunday. Sounds like a pretty full weekend huh?! If i dont get everything done on this schedule i'll live, the drivers side axle i ordered wont be here until tuesday anyway, but it's good to have goals!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Day two- All went as planned until about 2:00. I got the engine and trans out of the G20 with suprisingly little effort, so i got the SE-R towed to the shop and went to lunch. I came back and started cutting the body away from the engine with a titanium blade in a sawzall, and after about 30 minutes i got the blade stuck and it kicked the sawzall back, crushing my left index finger. So i spent the next 4 hours at the hospital. End result is i shattered the bone before the first knuckle and squished all the meat out of my finger through a little hole in the fingertip, and tore two 1" long gashed by the knuckle. five stitches and a hole drilled in my fingernail for draining purposes and i'm out. Luckily i was wearing gloves, the dotcor said i would have lost about 1" of my finger if i wasnt....

·
Registered
844 Posts
jesus man be careful. if you mess up your finger you'll regret it for the rest of your life. my right pinky is all messed up and it still hurts years later.

·
Registered
137 Posts
you're like me. i can't do anything without getting cut or bruised. never crushed anything though.

good luck, i'm puttin another engine in my g to. i don't work as fast as you

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
392 Posts
broken finger and still typed this up. Very nice. Get well soon.

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
thats pretty grizzly man. be careful. its gonna be hell installing that engine with your finger like that now. thats gotta be tender. good luck.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So my finger is healed up for the most part and i started work on the SE-R again today. Man, cutting an engine out is WAY easier than pulling them out trying not to break anything! I had that thing on the ground 2 hours after i started! I'm going to spend tonight and tomorrow cleaning up the engine and doing some maintenance and hope to have it in the car running on sunday. I still need to source a G20T axle, so if anybody has any leads, drop me a line! I'll take some pictures tonight or tomorrow and post them up!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm back in the full effect on this shit! The engine is out of the SE-R and almost prepped for the G20, just waiting on a few parts that should be in from Nissan today or tomorrow. I've found everything except the drivers side G20t axle... any help would be appreciated. Here are some pictures of what your garage should look like.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
dang dude, sorry bout your finger... I've had a couple misshaps before but never too bad... You think you got enough engines there ;)

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All the parts came in today, with the exceptions of the plug wires and the CV axle. Problem is that the clutch that Nissan sent me is for a GA16.... so i'm going to be held up for a few more days. Bastards...

·
Registered
162 Posts
very nice garage!

be carefull by work ;) i wreaked my right knie on a bowling-evening two operations, the last operation at 14.02.07 in april i can work again :(

-chris-

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Did your finger look like this?

This came from a little run in with my Gen 1 4Runner's front torsion bar. Sorry about yours man. If it is any consolation, the fingers and hands tend to heal very quickly. Good luck with your swap when you get it going again.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The second clutch i got from Nissan was damaged and had to be sent back, so i got another clutch in yesterday and skipped work today to do the clutch and put the engine into the G20. It took from like 11am until 7pm but everything is in and it runs good. I havent driven it yet because I still dont have the D/S axle, it is supposed to be here friday... so i'm probably not going in to work tomorrow either :) I'll hopefully have some more pictures up tomorrow.

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
what stealership are you gettin your parts from man?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts