Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, newbie here. I just got my car and I'm in the process of cleaning it up.. so far its bone stock. The engine bay is kinda dirty from years of neglect, so i was wondering how to go about cleaning the engine/engine bay to look more "showroom"

solution 1:

My brother who is a mecanic recommends I take some concentrated simple green and spray the whole motor/engine bay down let it sit for a few minutes then hose it down.
He then follows thru with several rags of just wiping the engine down......

I have a 26 gallon air compressor and I can sure use that to dry the engine bay and all....

What do you guys think? Can I clean my motor this way or should I have it professionally done?

·
no rainguard clips...FML
4,132 Posts
personally, i just do the simple green way, but you should probably cover up your alty and dizzy and maybe plug your sparkplug holes and wrap up the wires. you can also try those aerosol cans from autozone and stuff, but simple green has been working just fine for me.

welcome to g20.net! any pics of your ride you wanna share with us in the member's rides section?

·
Registered
180 Posts
simple greeeen is some baaaaddd assss shit i use it all the time great stufff especially on the engine when the engine is worm though

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
junknstuff said:
personally, i just do the simple green way, but you should probably cover up your alty and dizzy and maybe plug your sparkplug holes and wrap up the wires. you can also try those aerosol cans from autozone and stuff, but simple green has been working just fine for me.

welcome to g20.net! any pics of your ride you wanna share with us in the member's rides section?
i've posted a few pics up already in the member rides section.... under my p10 hooptie

·
Registered
430 Posts
hmmm i would steam clean or use brake cleaner followed up by contact cleaner and youll have that thing spotless with almost no residue.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when the weather gets warmer I'll try this.

·
Registered
430 Posts
btw never spray anything on the engine when its warm youll warp the head and the cylinders then youll really have problems.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
i would not hose it down. brake cleaner and contact cleaner both dry very quickly and do not harm elctronics as bad as water would. also water on top of the engine will lead to green death(corrosion) on any electronics as most of the components on top of the engine do not see much water.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for the informative posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
shouldt be more that 20-30 bucks. it only takes about ten minutes to do. 15 if its real dirty. i do these every day on school busses and co-workers cars.

·
Registered
180 Posts
4dollarg20 said:
btw never spray anything on the engine when its warm youll warp the head and the cylinders then youll really have problems.

so u are telling me with a spray bottle of water and also simple green lightly spraying the engine and brushing and cleaning it off in the same time frame will = warping off the head?? the amount of liquid coming out of a spray bottle is not cold enough or even cool enough to bring the temp of the engine down dramatically enough for the head to become out of shape b/c of temp change much less. off course certain things will have to be wrapped in plastic bag before cleaning begins. i have done this many and many of time and have yet to have problems and always came out with beautiful out come not to mention motor running fine with all electrical components working great.

·
Registered
430 Posts
no i meant like hosing it down. i spray water on engines all the time to diagnose ignition problems. but i have seen it where even just driving over a puddle woth the engine hot has caused heads to warp and blocks to crack. depends on age and temp of engine. and how much liquid is being put on it. lightly spraying it should not damage it but even then i would still do it with the engine cold because im paronoid like that.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
I know people who do it all the time just do it right.... ive hosed mines down as well, right b4 i do a tune up. Cover the electrical items the best u can. I use engine cleaner while the engine is cold, Then i let the car sit or a few minutes... Grab a hose, and spray away, being careful around the electrical areas. Don't drown the engine of course. Let the car sit for a few more minutes, the start the car up to operating temperature to dry everything up. Never had a problem, here... Again, don't drown the engine with water... But you know that im sure.

·
Registered
430 Posts
that is precisly the way to do it. i wasnt trying to get on anyones nerves here sorry bout my confusng way of posting.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anyhow, everyone seems to have their own opinions of cleaning the engine bay. My G20 may take some work to get its engine clean, but luckily for me my EVO's engine bay is still squeaky clean, due to the fact that I wipe it down with a moist rag and a nice blast of compressed air after every hand wash...

Anyhow, my younger bro has cleaned his S2K's engine and other peopless engines with simple green and some running water and each time it comes out almost 99% showroom new looking....

·
Premium Member
6,140 Posts
Simple green is the way to go. I don't how safe brake cleaner is to be spraying it on various types of materials under the hood let alone on paint. Doesn't say on the side of the can not to use it on paint? And yes, only do it on a cold engine. Also if it's real dirty, use some elbow grease to clean the particularly dirty spots. Go to a dollar store and pick up some cheap plastic brushes to do the scrubbing with. Then using a power washer (advantage is it's high pressure using little water) start rinsing away the simple green. The trick is adjust the nozzle so the spray pattern is not all concentrated into a fine point, but rather a wider pattern much like a straw broom. And don't hold the nozzle too close in one spot too long in sensitive areas and i.e. the alternator, distributor, etc. Keep it moving - move the nozzle as if you were sweeping. Typically, these are items/part that don't get caked in dirt/grease/grime anyway. It's typically around the shock towers and sheet metal inside the engine that get real dirty. I think of you look take the time and look around the engine bay to know where the sensitive areas are, you'll be fine. And if you want to blast it with compressed air right after to help remove some excess water, that work too. But again, be careful where you aim the air too. You don't want blow water into the sensitive areas that you carefully avoided getting soaked in the first place! LOL

I learned how to do it by watching my mechanic washing other engines! The trick is keep it moving! Don't drown your engine with water and you'll be fine!!

Here's a pic of my engine bay:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts