Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

Steering wheel change?

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  CarloSR 
#1 ·
Has anyone changed the steering wheel? I was at the junkyard earlier and the steering wheel in a '92 Stanza caught my eye. It's a three spoke that looks very similar to the steering wheel from the JDM Primeras I saw in my Hyper Rev Book. Besides that, there a great Momo steering wheel I've been wanting for a while.

So am I going to run into any problems removing the current steering wheel with the airbag? I'm not worried about steering wheel removal, but I'm wondering if I'll get some electrical error for having the airbag removed. Thanks for any help!

#2 ·
airbag

i recently aided in the removal of an airbag steeringwheel for a momo competition. it was on a miata.....but, the process should be similar. the airbag light came on full time after removal, because it was not the only air bag in the car, we put a resistor on the wire, tricking it into thinking that it went through the once complete circut. with a proper wiring schematic, you ought to be able to find out what size resistor to place on the open ended circut. sorry about and spelling mistakes, just trying to help...oh yeah, i will be geting a momo competition soon, nopi sells the mounting brackets, and well if i complete first i will post yoou with my results

#3 ·
Re: airbag

madefourblue said:
the airbag light came on full time after removal, because it was not the only air bag in the car, we put a resistor on the wire, tricking it into thinking that it went through the once complete circut. with a proper wiring schematic, you ought to be able to find out what size resistor to place on the open ended circut.
Anybody (with more electrical engineering expertise than me) know what size resistor to use on a P10?

#6 ·
I did some searching on the net for this, and it looks like most car brands use a 2 to 4 ohm resistor if I wanted to do the trial-and-error method. Here's some other info I dug up:

"If the 3 ohm, 1/4W resistor doesn't work, you can figure out what size is needed by using a potentiometer (pot). Set it to zero, hook it up to the two leads running back to the airbag computer, turn on the car's ignition so you can see the Air Bag light blink in the instrument panel, and start turning up the pot. Once you turn it enough that the light goes out, stop, and measure the resistance across the pot with an ohm-meter. Buy a resistor of the indicated resistance. 1/4 watt will be fine."

#7 ·
anyone though of a g35 steering wheel on the g20? the g35's is pretty nice. had the chance to drive one for a day when my g20 was on repair

RCNV

#8 ·
I just changed my 94 to a Momo steering wheel. Took a bit of looking to find a T50H (hollow middle) Torx bolt but got the airbag off safely after following all the precautions (battery diconnect, then wait a good while).

It's pretty easy to take off the instrument panel itself, so I just cut the wires to the airbag light and took it out.

I'll post some installed pics soon in the gallery next week.

#9 ·
dsigns said:
I know Mep recently added an aftermarket steering wheel to his ride, you might wanna talk to him...
Hey MEP when you read this ... PM me if you still have original steeting wheel .....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.