Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
CH0DEmobile
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any idea how to either turn the ignition or break the steering wheel lock without a key? The G20 I'm taking apart right now was an abandoned vehicle. It sat at an apartment complex for several months, then the owner of the complex finally got a locksmith to make a key, but when he tried to move it, the motor threw a rod. He had it towed out to some of his property way outside the city, where it's been sitting for a year or two. He comes into the restaurant that I work in fairly often, and I guess noticed my car a bunch of times in the lot. Well, he asked me about it the other day, told me about the 92 sitting out in the middle of nowhere, and told me to go get it if I wanted it. He's trying to find the key he had made for it, but isn't having much luck. I don't really need to be able to crank the vehicle, but I'd like to be able to move it around my yard, and that's pretty hard to do with the wheel lock on. The dealers around here won't make a key off a VIN unless you've got a title in your name, and I don't want to spend the money to get one AND the money to get a key for a car I'm never going to drive. So, yeah, any tips/ideas would be appreciated.

·
Prince of Joy
4,614 Posts
Remove the clamshell trim around the steering column. Then remove the two bolts that hold the ignition cylinder to the steering column. You'll have to either drill out the bolts or use a springloaded punch to work them off as there are no heads on the bolts.

The ignition cylinder clamps onto the steering column and has a plug that pops up and locks the steering column in place.

- Greg -

·
CH0DEmobile
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MrFancypants said:
Remove the clamshell trim around the steering column. Then remove the two bolts that hold the ignition cylinder to the steering column. You'll have to either drill out the bolts or use a springloaded punch to work them off as there are no heads on the bolts.

The ignition cylinder clamps onto the steering column and has a plug that pops up and locks the steering column in place.

- Greg -
Sweet, thanks man, I'll try that tomorrow.

·
Registered
593 Posts
you have to be supeer strong to do it but i have done it before. get you and a buddy one in teh car and one outand grab the wheels and turn that mofo whith all the muscle you got. eventually youll both fall (thats the funny part) and teh pin will break free and wall ateh wheels turns.but liek isaid you need some good muscle i have done it to variuos cars so im sure a infiniti is no diffrent.other wise its very tedious chizzling away at the bolts to get the ingnition assembly off

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
ON my Van when they tried to steal it, they pulled the ignition, just where the key goes, then He could try a screw driver to turn the key out of the steering lock position.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Easier way to pull the ignition cylinder is to take a dremel or something like it and just cut two slots in the heads of the screws and use a screwdriver to remove them. Easier yet, pull ador panel off and remove the lock cylinder then take it to a locksmith and have a key cut from that (which will also turn the igniton)... took me 15 minutes including breaking into the car and only cost $12. Dont feel too bad about the key by VIN thing, almost all the records of key code to VIN translation before '94 have been destroyed, so you more than likely wouldnt be able to get the keycode if you had the title.

·
CH0DEmobile
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I didn't get a chance to try anything on the steering wheel lock today, but I did manage to get into the trunk by drilling out the cylinder with a 3/8" bit. The electric release wouldn't do anything, it just made a soft click and the trunk was still shut.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts