Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-after redoing my front suspension (koni & eibach), checking my bushings, tightening all my end links, and so forth and so on...i still have a clunking coming from the front drivers side.
-the sound is a mix between a clunking and knocking, i can feel it through my pedals, and it occurs when ever i go over a medium to large bump, or go over a number of small bumps in a row. it sounds as though it is being caused by something that is loose or floating around...but i really dont know.
-also, i have brought my car to 3 performance/auto repair shops and none of them have been able to solve the problem...
so i really need some help here!
anything you guys might be able to think of would be appreciated

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the exact same problem with my 99'. Ever since I had the clutch replaced about 8 months ago I have had the same clunking/knocking sound from the front driver's side that I can also feel metal to metal contact with through the pedals. Hopefully one of us can figure out what the deal is because I have heard of other 99's having this same problem. Loose clutch cable?

·
Premium Member
6,140 Posts
Take a closer look at your front stabilizer links. I had the same issue. As soon as I replaced them, they knocking has gone away. The best way to check them is to jack up the front end, grab the stabilizer link and shake/twist it. ther should be no play. My drivers side was really bad. As soon as i grab it, it could make it sqeak.

As for hearing the noise after doing the clutch, take a close look at any support brackets/ holders. Whoever did the cluctch may have loosenedremoved some for extra clearance to replace the clutch, but forgot to reattatch/tighten the bolts holding them on! As the last SOG meet while we were looking in my engin bay, one of the guys looking pointed out that a bracket was loose! I think there might be another one they forgot to tighten as well. however, why they would have had to loosen this one bracket is beyond me, but hey, I've never replaced a clutch on my own, so I wouldn't know.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
unfortunatly my car isnt manual, so i know its not a clutch thing for me
when i took my car in recently, they found a loose sway bar end-link...so i got
all excited and thought that would solve my prob...but of course the clunking still there.
i had my car up on blocks last night before i started this thread, i was grabing everything
i could and yanking on it to get stuff to move...and still nothing. i even tried socking down
my drivers side engine mount, but didnt get anywhere with that.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
This is typically the sway bar end links (which must be replaced, not "tightened down"), or the upper top most link, which must also be replaced. If this is occurring on a high mileage car, you should check the lower ball joint for wear. If it is worn, then you will have to replace the lower control arm (which includes the ball joint).

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jjacob said:
This is typically the sway bar end links (which must be replaced, not "tightened down"), or the upper top most link, which must also be replaced. If this is occurring on a high mileage car, you should check the lower ball joint for wear. If it is worn, then you will have to replace the lower control arm (which includes the ball joint).
thanks dude
im goin to give that a shot

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
The top suspension bits seem to suit them self when they start to stark knocking...... Mine started @ 25K ........ I eventually found a 3rd party link that shut it up & it has remained quiet for thew past 15K or so ........... I found wit hthis issue OEM is far from best :)

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
J..M said:
The top suspension bits seem to suit them self when they start to stark knocking...... Mine started @ 25K ........ I eventually found a 3rd party link that shut it up & it has remained quiet for thew past 15K or so ........... I found wit hthis issue OEM is far from best :)
John,

What was your third party source? Please share!

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
I'm in the UK so I guess it wouldn't be a lot of use to you ......... Theys mighty heavy for postage :(

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
J..M said:
when you figured out your problem, were you able to go under the car and pull on stuff to make it move around or knock?
please let us know what that 3rd party link was!

·
Registered
288 Posts
sounds like stabilizer links. i gotta change mine right now, these are tricky to diagnose. when i raise my car on the hoist and checfk all links for play, they seem tight.
try this:
with the car on the ground turn ur wheel so that u can see the link. hold onto the bottom of the stabilizer link where its connected to the stablilzer bar and get someone to either rock the car or push up and down on the fender. you should be able to feel some play.

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
njprimera said:
when you figured out your problem, were you able to go under the car and pull on stuff to make it move around or knock?
please let us know what that 3rd party link was!
The way I diagnosed teh problem was to nip to the closest bar on a friday @ lunch time & looked for a grease monkey wearing a Nissan Overall..... £10 in his hand & a 3 minuite drive round the block & voilla he said upper links are knackered, Don't buy the Nissan ones they are crap & its good practice to change both ...... Look on the web :beard:

So with that I went to This Site & bought a set of these Right hand & left hand

[/IMG]

·
Registered
288 Posts
J..M . .... those upper links don't cause knockign when they are worn, they only cause a highly annoying squeeking noise, i had to change both of mine last year, they were pretty expensive
the stabilizer links arre what knocks, and thankfully those are MUCH cheaper than Upper links.

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
I had my car in at the local dealers when it was still on warantee & they said the play is within tollerance....... So & moaned like hell & they changed the bushings, which lasted six months (Warantee out) So then I used my own methods ;)

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
Lemute said:
J..M . .... those upper links don't cause knockign when they are worn, they only cause a highly annoying squeeking noise, i had to change both of mine last year, they were pretty expensive
the stabilizer links arre what knocks, and thankfully those are MUCH cheaper than Upper links.
I'm not going to get in to a argy bargy about it ....... Nissan tech said thats what it was & changing then rectified the fault ......... :-\

·
Registered
288 Posts
njprimera, yeah, sway bar is actually called stabilizer bar, same thing i guess :)

j..m, i suppose it would start a knocking noise after a while, but on most that i have checked, the upper links start squeaking ANNOYINGLY loud and ALL THE TIME to the point where ppl look at my car when i drive by. lol. anyhoo, yeah no point in arguing it, knocking CAN come from there, but its not a likely cause.

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
I think we need pictures, so we are all singing from the same hymn sheet so to speek :)

1 - 20 of 117 Posts