1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to let you all know that the Stillen Hi Flow Intake
kit for the 1999 Infiniti G20 is AWESOME. I went directly to Stillen
so I wouldnt have to wait for delivery via UPS, etc... I installed it
in about a 1/2 hour (and a few beers) then reset my ECU. Waited about 1.5 hrs then let the car idle for 25 minutes. Worked like a charm.

The most noticeable thing is the sound. Everyone takes notice at around 3,500-4,500 rpm. Can't wait for my Remus exhaust....

All the directions were there, really easy too.

I would recommend this product to anybody. It is a simple, inexpensive and quick fix to the restrictive stock airbox.

-Chris

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
resetting ECU

In order for your car to function properly after altering the "breathing", you must reset the ECU so that it can re-learn
the proper settings for optimal performance.

Your ECU and car do all of this for you provided you turn your car
off, disconnect the negative terminal on your battery and let it sit
for at least an hour. I let mine sit for an hour and a half. Then you
will reconnect the battery and start her up....

Let the car idle without revving it for the first 15 minutes so the car can warm up while the ECU resets. You can then start giving it a little gas to hear that awesome sound that b*tch will make.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Re: resetting ECU

longbeachgdub said:
Your ECU and car do all of this for you provided you turn your car
off, disconnect the negative terminal on your battery and let it sit
for at least an hour. I let mine sit for an hour and a half. Then you
will reconnect the battery and start her up....
It's been acknowledged that the SR20 ecu does not reset just by disconnecting the negative terminal and allowing it to sit 15 mins or even over night.

You have to reset the ECU at the ECU screw.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
re:

Do whatever...

The Hi flow was easy as hell to install. I didn't have to cut any holes in my car and it was under $200. The whole experience
was worth it to me.

My car has all leather and wood trim so I am trying to keep the
luxury look of the car without modifying too much.

I am getting a 2.25" Remus exhaust w/ cat and that will be about
it.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
G20 SpoRt 2002 said:
So it sounds good huh. Damn I want to get one but I was thinking of buying HS CAI!?

To each his own...

Do whatever...

Blah...Blah...Blah... :tired:

The HS CAI will most definitiely give you much better performance gains than a standard $tillen Hi-Flo or JWT POP (same exact design). The POP is the most commonly purchased for ease of installation, nice increase in performance, and price. Where the CAI cost more, there is more involved with the install, and as longbeachgdub stated, you have to cut a larger hole where your current intake baffle is.

I personally have the $tillen/K&N and have had it for over 7 years. Can not complain. It has been a very wise investment, but if I knew about JWT back then I would have pobably purchased from them since they where the original designers of the POP and theirs is priced lower.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow... you sound like you know what you are talking about...

NOT!!!

This guy can't even install his own stuff (read his webpage) yet he knows every intricate detail about parts he doesn't have on his car.

If you read my original post, I was letting you intelligent readers
know that the Stillen Hi Flow Intake was a good thing for my 99 g dub, not a 96.....

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Re: wow... you sound like you know what you are talking about...

longbeachgdub said:
NOT!!!

This guy can't even install his own stuff (read his webpage) yet he knows every intricate detail about parts he doesn't have on his car.

If you read my original post, I was letting you intelligent readers
know that the Stillen Hi Flow Intake was a good thing for my 99 g dub, not a 96.....

Hey dumbass! You just come on here with 6 or 7 posts, install one freakin' item on your car and you are a master guru at installing parts on a Nissan.

Do some freakin' research before you come onto a forum as a newbie and try to tell some one what's what with attitude.

And if you knew what the hell you were talking about, you would know that the Stillen Hi-flo for the '99 is the same exact intake as the '96 and has the same exact effect as the '96. Minor differences in how it bolts up but it is practically the same exact unit I have.

G20 SpoRt 2002 was thinking about buying the CAI, but heard your excitment so he was looking for some info. I let him know the CAI will be a better upgrade than the Hi-flo and POP, but that it cost more and all that blah blah blah...

You know what, this is a waste of time. If you can't share knowledge, if you have any, without attacking someone elses knowledge go piss on someone elses parade.

:mad:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Re: re:

longbeachgdub said:
To each his own.....

What did I reset then ( aside from my radio presets...)???
Actually, I can't stop now. There was some research done a while ago on this. Some have found that the ECU will keep part it's memory, if not all, just like a battery in a computer keeps the date and time even when the computer is off and unplugged. So, by disconnecting the negative for a little while then reconnecting it, letting the car idle and all that might not be as effective as doing it properly as stated in the FSM.

For those of you who are the intelligent readers, I'm sure you know what that is, for the others or other, singular, that is a Factory Service Manual.

So, you might have just onlyreset you radio presets as stated!

:p

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Hmm? Let's see what else I don't know. Hmm? Let me go do a search on my id and see what information I don't know about.

Boy, theres a lot of threads I post to that I don't know a damn thing about isn't there? Geez!

Oh, that's right, I cracked my oil filter bracket. Guess I don't know what I'm doing. Darn!

EVERYONE, FEEL FREE TO VISIT MY SITE AT ANY TIME AND READ ABOUT HOW I DON'T INSTALL ANYTHING MYSELF AND HOW I DONT KNOW WHAT I AM DOING. THAT IS WHY I MADE IT AVAILABLE ON THE WEB, SO ALL CAN SEE HOW I DONT KNOW WHAT I'M DOING!!!!

HERE: http://nismopc.tripod.com ENJOY!

·
Registered
562 Posts
I aslo know that the ECU doesn't fully reset just by disconnecting the negative battery terminal nor disconnecting the ECU from harness.....You do have to use the screw...(my guess from my trial and errors). I have been getting Service Engine Lights (MIL) and I can't reset it just disconneting anything....I need to use the little screw on the ECU to check the code and turn the MIL off...I think it also resets everything...

personally, I don't think its really necessary to reset anything only by doing the intake. Doesn't the ECU always keeps learning? I heard that it learns how the driver drives the car and such...but also could be bunch of BS.

I don't know and I don't care....if it runs fine... leave it alone...

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yall boys need to be a lil nicer to one another. Me and Ty know about this from previous experiences.

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
Boy...boys....do we really need this kind of BS floating around.

Ill Agree with Nismo, there is data proving the CAI will give you more ponies than the POP on both the P10 and P11....keep in mind they have the SAME motors.

Ill also agree with longbeach, the install is so simple with a POP (Stillen or JWT) a monkey could do it. With the CAI you do have to mod some of the metal in the engine compartment. We just got done doing Jons this weekend in AZ and it is some work.

Either way, to each his own. I personally run a HS / JWT POP short stack. Which is the first section of tube from the CAI, modded to fit the JWT POP. Clean and simple....

On the ECU resetting, you do have to reset it with the screw on the ECU itself. Pretty easy and simple to do.

This isnt a name calling forum so dont make yourselves look like fools. :evil:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
re:

Thanks...

I never said the POP was better, I did say it was easier. I have previously installed a CAI on a '93 Integra I had... what a pain.

As far as resetting the ECU, thank you for the info.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I think people take you the wrong way LongBeach cuz you made some bad impressions in some other posts. Anyways...good luck all...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts