Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Note: This is really long. Cliffnotes at the end.

Some of you may remember my thread from two weeks ago where my catalytic converter got ganked off of my car while it was pulled over on the side of the road. If you don't, the thread is right here: http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57711 . At any rate, with the help of my new friend Joel (Pauley01 on the forums) and a mom and pop muffler place downtown, I finally got my G back up and running. After getting my car back from the muffler shop, I drove to work. Everything was running perfectly (and actually a lot better than before, probably because of the new cat), until I started to drive home. By what I can only describe as a stupid twist of fate, my car started acting up again at the exact same place where it originally broke down at the beginning of this entire fiasco.

Directly under my shifter (where the catalytic converter was located), a rumbling noise began abruptly. My Brake and Battery lights came on, and the sound escalated into what could only be described as the sound of metal scraping on asphalt (not good). I quickly pulled the car over, fearing for the worst, and went outside to inspect the damage. To my surprise, my exhaust was still perfectly in place. For whatever reason, the sound persisted even when my car was idling. At this point, I was only a few miles from my house, so I decided to chance it. There was no noticeable performance loss that accompanied the sound, so I have no idea what it could have been. It sounded like something broke off inside my catalytic converter and was just bouncing around. After driving for 2 miles, whatever was in there decided to shoot out forcefully (I was still going about 65, so I didn't get a good look at whatever it was). However, my brake light and battery light are still on, even after turning the car off and restarting it. I'm definitely going to take this back to the muffler shop tomorrow, but does anyone have any idea what in the world could have just happened to my car?

Cliffnotes: Just got Catalytic converter replaced, drove about 15 miles, something started bouncing around in there, shot out at high speeds, and now my brake and battery lights are on. What in the world is going on???

·
The Emo Kid.
6,673 Posts
probably some honeycomb from the header if it was that far up? couldnt be anything in the muffler if it made noise in the front..
something musta come off and made its way back

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never replaced the header, though. I think this was something that was either dropped in the cat or broke off from it, because it was bouncing around for a while...and it was REALLY loud.

·
The Emo Kid.
6,673 Posts
if you replaced it you wouldnt have the problem, the stock one can fall apart some. it cant be a piece from the cat, because you replaced that, so the piece cant still be there? so must be chunks from the stock header

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I remember someone having a catalytic converter with a bolt in it.... it happened after he replaced the header, he drove around with it and heard it rattling, finally took the cat out and there was a bolt in there....

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
check to make sure you didn't like spit out your alty belt!

that would be what normally turns on your brake and battery light, a failing alty. the noise sounds like maybe the belt was coming off the pully and then snapped and flew off your car.

sounds and noises can be hard to track down exp in a older car. could sound like its coming from one place. when its coming from anoter.

·
G20 OG
6,684 Posts
Corrosion said:
check to make sure you didn't like spit out your alty belt!

that would be what normally turns on your brake and battery light, a failing alty. the noise sounds like maybe the belt was coming off the pully and then snapped and flew off your car.

sounds and noises can be hard to track down exp in a older car. could sound like its coming from one place. when its coming from anoter.
yup those lights are for alternator problems.. maybe a bolt came off or like corrosion said a belt..

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
yea actually thinking about it a while back in one of my nx's the lower alty bolt broke. it make a hell of a lot of racket. i thought i spun a bearing. then i got the brake and batt light.

give it a look over before you go back to the shop

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, it was really dark last night so I didn't have a chance to check under the hood. Going now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The thing that caused my car to shut down the first time was a dead battery. It was dead from the store. I've since gotten a new battery and everything is working fine, except for now. I went to look under the hood today, and I noticed that my alternator is sitting a lot lower than usual and the Alternator/AC belt was loose enough to the point of me being able to pull it off just with my hands. After searching, I think what happened was my lower Alt. bolt breaking and falling off, but I'll be damned if it wasn't making a whole lot of ruckus. How tough is this to fix? Should I tackle it myself or just take it to a mechanic?

·
Registered
430 Posts
it should be realtivly easy to fix just go and buy th bolt and slip it in. its be a good idea to buy a new belt too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To be honest, I don't know what to look for. I only came to that conclusion because i've heard of people having that problem

·
Registered
640 Posts
wow...that stinks man. If you need a point of reference, your more then welcome to come take a look at my G. Maybe you can see how it "should" sit and if the bolt is easy to get off- then take mine to the store (Lowes) to match it up.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
sweet at least we figured out what the problem was =)

the bolt could have broken or just fallen out. see if someone can come by and check it out for ya. anyone with some car know how should be able to help!

gl.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
k, so what you have to do to access the lower alternator bolt is take off the passenger side wheel and the splash guard. This will allow you to look at the alternator *hinge* bolt. You're lucky cause you're not going to take out the alternator so you don't need to remove any of the coolant lines. First make sure you're tightning screw isn't the one that came loose, this one would be the silver colored one near the front passenger side. after you get a clear look at everything you'll be able to see what should be wrong. If you need more help I'll do a better write up

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all your help, guys. I'll definitely take a look at all of this tomorrow (it's too dark now) and will report back. Unfortunately, I don't trust my car to get me up to your place, Joel, so I think I'm gonna look for any glaring problems. As always, though, thanks a lot man.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts