Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a thought, but wanted some opinions before proceding.
A guy is dropping off a used, stock catback exhaust at my office today, and it's to replace the one on my gf's Golf that has rusted through the body of the rear muffler. The guys says there's surface rust on it, so what I was thinking, and PLEASE let me know is this is stupid...

1. sand off all surface rust being careful not to make any "holes"
2. wrap all "joints" in Muffler Bandage
3. spray entire thing with hi-temp engine paint (flat black)

Is this going to make it WORSE in the long run, by causing moisture inside the exhaust system to rot through even quicker (somehow)?

Or will this simply be a waste of money in paint and bandages?

I know the alternative is buying a new exhaust or aftermarket, but those are not options right now.

Thanks for any feedback!

Jeff

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sandblasting it, so I know I won't get 100% of the rust...I suppose even if I WERE sandblasting there is likely rust on the inside that I wouldn't manage to get rid of anyway.
The only reason I considered doing this is that
a) VW exhaust is very expensive for OEM or even jobber parts
b) I don't want to get this installed only to have the exact same situation 2 months from now
c) if I'm going to install less-than-perfect exhaust, I figure if there's something I can do for $15 to get an extra 3-4 months out of it then why not?

I'm thinking the joints are especially crucial, since those tend to bear all the stress over bumps etc, and crack first.

Unless you guys have a definite reason why this would really makes things worse, how about I do it and make sort of an experiment out of it? I'll post before/after pics, and let you know when it bites the dust.

;)

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would the paint do the same thing you think? (Trap moisture.)

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh sorry I never answered your question about wrapping joints...
It's almost like a fiberglass type thing in 2" wide strips to repair damaged exhaust. It's meant to take the heat etc...but I thought it might make the joints a bit stronger.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool, thanks man. :)

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Nelson said:
Rust is like the plague! Get that rusty part out of your presence before it spreads to other stuff!
so your going to buy his girlfriend a new exhaust huh? the car already had 1 exhaust rust through. I wouldnt sand too much, just clean, remove any loose rust and dry and coat the surface rust

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Catalytic converters run at very high temperatures. I doubt any paint of any type that you put on will survive. I would just leave it as is.

·
Premium Member
6,140 Posts
Personally, I'd leave it as is. Typically, the stock system already has some sort of corrosion coating applied to it. By sanding it down now, you'll only remove this stock coating/plating and expose fresh unprotected metal! The rust will thank you! Let's face it, any type of coating/painting people do themselves can never be up to par to factory applied coatings.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some valid points raised both for and against the painting...
I think I will only sand the VERY corroded parts (at the joints) and if they seem weak, wrap them. Then I will spray the whole system excluding the cat and forward, in matte black BBQ or engine paint.

I agree about leaving well-enough alone on the parts that are not yet rusty, because they very likely DO have some built-in rustproofing.

Thanks for all the well thought-out responses, guys.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SgtDGun said:
i think his rust problem is back around the muffler, thats where the rusting usually happens
I should put up some pics... Unfortunately it has been so crappy here that I have not even been able to assess the car's CURRENT exhaust line from the rear muffler towards the front! For all I know, the one on the car is perfect except for the one joint that broke!

As for the newly-purchased line, each joint has mild to medium bubbling around the welds, but the straightaways are clean as hell.

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
Get her to fit it herself ....... Problem solved ;)

Just paint the ferker ....... Wrapping it is waaaaaay tooooo Hillbilly :)

·
THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!
13,766 Posts
OK i got a question about rust on a test pipe. i might grab a used test pipe to replace the cat. it has rust inside and out. is this OK to use, or should i at least sand away the rust on the inside?

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
Just blow it out wiv air ......... Unless its completely caked & got rust hangin off inside ..... Then bin it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts