Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
you might be in a pickle hear. i hope you were useing a 10 mm allen socket. and some times you have to tape the socket in all the way.
well the only idea i have for you is to take a hammer and pound a 12piont socket on the out side f the bolt or strip nut soket and hope it grips.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
p10det said:
you might be in a pickle hear. i hope you were useing a 10 mm allen socket. and some times you have to tape the socket in all the way.
well the only idea i have for you is to take a hammer and pound a 12piont socket on the out side f the bolt or strip nut soket and hope it grips.
Yea thats what I did for one of them. I hammered it on, and it came out. Now its stuck in the socket and not coming out, so I cant get the last one of the head bolts out.

·
Pining for "DMSentra"
5,558 Posts
If you can get that socket off try a couple real heavy whacks with a big hammer. You may need to put a solid chunk of bar on the head of it to reach it. The whacks tend to un-"set" the treads. A light hammer will only dent the bolt head where a heavy hammer will jar the whole thing.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I can get the socket and headbolt undone from eachother the thing will be out. I may just have to go buy 2 more 17 mm sockets. One to replace the one I have a headbolt stuck in, and the other to get another head bolt stuck in. LOL.

·
Registered
59 Posts
use a dremel, cut slits in them so they are now like flat head screws. If that fails, see if its possible to drill a hole through them then stick a bolt through it. If all else fails you can drill into the screw then re-tap it so that you essentially screw another screw into it. then remove it.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I almost had a problem removing one of our head bolts, but i got it with a cut off t-handel when a 10mm socket hex didnt fit.... goodluck bro.

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
do you have a bise put socket in secure and take a rod or srew driver knock the bolt out from the other end. or find something to screww the bolt into and take a ratchet and try working it side to side it should come out

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tried that. I cranked the socket down in my vice and took a 1/4" extension and hammered away. Bent the extension in a 45* angle. Granted it was a cheap Chineese extension and not a craftsman or anything, but you get my point here.

·
'Luke'
5,319 Posts
Tried heating it up ? This will cause expansion of teh bolt which might loosen the other parts just enough to get it out.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ended up just getting another socket to get it out with. I have 2 sockets that have headbolts in them now. Im going to throw them away. They are 8 bucks for a deep and quite frankly, arent worth my time to bother with getting them out.

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
nooo dont throw them away keep them as reminders. but yes better to damage a cheep tool then an engine. I have sacrificed some craftsman stuff to make tools to get the job done.

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
well, after destorying 2 10mm 3/8" drive craftsman allen head sockets removing head bolts...here is what I do now...

grab a 10mm ALLEN WRENCH!!!, make sure its craftsman or something better, make sure its a long one too. Now cut this sucker into 1"-2" sections. Then place the cut off allen wrench section into the head bolt and then take a 1/2" drive 10mm socket and put it on top of that. Use this combination to take the headbolt off...heres why i think it works better.

The 3/8" drive craftsman allen head socket necks down from 10mm to 8-6mm as it goes into the socket and produces a stress point right there causing the allen portion to bend/twist. Not to mention, a 3/8" drive ratchet just does not give you the leverage you need to undo head bolts. Another reason is that the forged allen socket does not fit *tightly* into the head bolt, giving room for the sucker to strip easily...(ive done that too)

Now using a section of allen wrench, 1) its an exact fit, 2) I feel its a harder material, and 3) using a 1/2" drive socket you get tons more leverage to break those head bolts loose. Lastly, if you do bend the small section of allen wrench, you have more to use. So far I have not bent one of these using this type of combination, and thats after doing a hand full of head gaskets.

Anyhoo, just another tip for you guys.

Oh one more thing....if you do strip the head bolt and cant get it out, loosen all the others, then drill the head off the offending head bolt...once it breaks off, you will hear a loud *POP*, remove all the other bolts pull the head and the bolt will just screw out by hand with no tension on it anymore.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yahnozha said:
Oh one more thing....if you do strip the head bolt and cant get it out, loosen all the others, then drill the head off the offending head bolt...once it breaks off, you will hear a loud *POP*, remove all the other bolts pull the head and the bolt will just screw out by hand with no tension on it anymore.
My way took far less time. ;) Granted Im sure it would be less expensive to drill it out, but isnt time money anyways? Its the most expensive thing we have. Once spent, you cant get it back. Money you can.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts