Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I start the car in the morning after a cold or cool night the car idles fine. When I put it in drive, it's fine. However, the car has zero power (pedal all the way to the ground and it's hard to get it to 10mph) and when I come to a stop after accelerating the front end of the car vibrates severely and sometimes cuts off. If I use the remote start and let the car warm up for a few minutes before driving it, it's fine...

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
its natural for SR20's to have alot of vibration.
mine does the same thing (almost). but my car is still pretty fast
even when i dont warm it up. you might want to check out your tranny
and motor mounts.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
You definitely have a problem. It is not normal. It sounds like maybe you have a failed ECU coolant temperature sensor (or it got disconnected), or you have a vacuum leak somewhere.
Could also be a head gasket leak. Cylinders are getting oil and coolant in them over night.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hopefully it is not as bad as jjacob said.
Does the car rev normally when not it great? And when it is in gear does it rev but not move or it just does not rev up at all or slowly. Do you have an Auto transmission?

Where are the revs when it shakes and stalls. Can you press the gas or shift into neutral to keep it from stalling?

Just asking for more details.

My best guess if it is an auto would be something like this here.

Your car is much newer, but if it stays in lockup, it will stress the engine at low revs and stall it without gas. And if it really is in lockup, you are starting in 4'th gear which may explain the lack of power.
________
Iolite vaporizer

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
golf299 said:
When I start the car in the morning after a cold or cool night the car idles fine. When I put it in drive, it's fine. However, the car has zero power (pedal all the way to the ground and it's hard to get it to 10mph) and when I come to a stop after accelerating the front end of the car vibrates severely and sometimes cuts off. If I use the remote start and let the car warm up for a few minutes before driving it, it's fine...
What do you guys think?
Elkinm: This sounds like a cold start issue. He states that the car is fine after warm up.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The symptoms that were described in the link that elkinm posted above sound exactly like what my problem is.

So what is "lock-up", why does it happen, and how do i prevent that from happening?

Thanks!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Our torque converter has a lockup clutch which locks and creates a direct mechanical link to the engine making it more efficient.
Lock-up is supposed to happen at 40-45 mph in overdrive.
I don't know how exactly it is supposed to act as before, when I released the gas in lockup, the car unlocked imediatelly and had a jerk. Now, after a flush, it stays at lockup above 40 mph, but not below. Jerking occurs at 40-45 mph as it exits and enters lockup. Do you have any jerks like this by any chance?

Something to try, when you start the car, shift into drive and/or reverse, depress the brake and then rev the engine a little. Do NOT do this for very long and do not hold the revs for more then 5 seconds. Mine goes up to about 2000 RPM. This simply warms up the torque converter very quickly, so quickly that if you do this for long cold you can actually damage it. Try it a little to see if it fixes the problem for that drive.

When was the last time you got a complete transmission flush and were. If you are not sure, check your transmission fluid dip-stick, and wipe it on white paper or a paper towel. It should be reddish-pink, but not very dark or brown/black. You can buy some cheap ATF at wal-mart for comparison.
You can try going to Aamco for their free diagnostic service. They might be able to tell you what is wrong, but most likely they will want to do a rebuild or replace the torque converter, but don't do that just yet.

You might want to try get a flush done if it has not been done in a while. If available, ask for synthetic ATF like Mobil 1, if not, as for Mercon V ATF which is a synthetic blend blend that is compatible with Dexron III that our cars use, but should be just a little better.
If you do get a flush, check that they actually do it, and then check the new fluid color, it should look just like new fluid after a proper flush.
________
Amateur tube

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply. I don't notice any hard running after the initial warm-up, so there are no vibrations at higher speeds. I'll give your suggestions a try.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Maybe it means Seattle. I am an east coast guy so what do I know, lol.

·
Registered
973 Posts
hehe we are all taking bets lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts