Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
couldnt we get a strut tower bar this nice? from some company ?
this one is ac s. for the m3 but we need something this nice
and i think it would look nice too if our engine bay had custom covers like that on components but anyway later
casual

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
let me see a pic it sounds nice
cant strut bars be custom made?
who would be able to make it?

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
With enough money, anything can be made....but your talking some serious $$$$ You would need to find a Machine Shop that has a 48" bed CNC Machining center...mine is only 20" so I couldnt help you out there....the real money comes with the design of the brackets, you only have about 2.5" of room under the hood to work with, thats not a whole lot of room.

If your serious about getting one made, I can shoot you some dimensions that I have for one Im working on for the 2001+ G20's...shit Ive been working on this for a long time now...

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
for the machining achine you got does it work also like if you have the design on a comp the you send it to the machine like you would print a page but unstead of printing its cutting that picture you designed?

as fas as my seriousness for under 300 or 300 i would go for a custom one...
question for you why is yours only for 2001 + g's wouldnt the 99 and 2000 be the same dimension?
yeah send me the pic if you can or the measurements i'm interested in eeing this process

casual

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
I've been contemplating building a front bar my self and adding a third mounting point on the firewall to help stiffen thing up even more, however I am just lacking the time (and a welder) right now to undertake a project of this magnitude. That and I'd have to find a material that's strong enough not to flex under load, yet still be small enough to fit between the IM and the hood.

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
casual said:
for the machining achine you got does it work also like if you have the design on a comp the you send it to the machine like you would print a page but unstead of printing its cutting that picture you designed?
Kinda...but a bit more complicated. You have to do the drawing to scale in a program like Solidworks ($4000), or go low budget and do it in Corel Draw...from there export it as a DXF file and import it into a machining program (mine cost $13,000 for the software) then generate the tool paths, export the machine code and put it into the CNC ($60,000 machine) ...viola' you have programed the part. So there....if you want to talk start up costs...Im your man...hahah :lol:

casual said:
as fas as my seriousness for under 300 or 300 i would go for a custom one...question for you why is yours only for 2001 + g's wouldnt the 99 and 2000 be the same dimension?
yeah send me the pic if you can or the measurements i'm interested in eeing this process
Im designing it for the 2001 because of a redesign on the intake manifold, its a little higher than the 99..or something like that...Boogie said the 99 STB doesnt fit becuse of clearance issues. So if it fits the new intake manifold on the newer versions, it should fit the 99. And BTW, I dont think $300 would cut it on a design like the one pictured....the material alone would run about $150, thats not including design time nor machine time (machine time varies from $60/hour to $100/hour)

JustinP10 said:
I've been contemplating building a front bar my self and adding a third mounting point on the firewall to help stiffen thing up even more, however I am just lacking the time (and a welder) right now to undertake a project of this magnitude. That and I'd have to find a material that's strong enough not to flex under load, yet still be small enough to fit between the IM and the hood.
Aluminium will work just fine, unless you want to be a big baller and go Titanium...how cool would that be...There is already a location to mount a 3-point STB on the 99+ but it would take some cool design work. If you dont mind the weight, a steel tube design would provide the rigidity.

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so i'm learning this valuable info..

ok about 150 for tubular steel to use to do this project how much would it be for titanium enough for this project

so are you a pro at solidworks or corel draw?
aproximately how many hours of manchine time needed for this project just an approx machine time varies from 60 to 10 a hour what about design time? and approx amout of design time need for this?

would the third mounting point be the middle of the firewall to the top or another spot u are thinking of?
i dont want to drain your idea you might want to keep it to yourself

so does this concept work like once the design is created and prototype created and fitted then you can seel more of these at profit so therefore if theres a demand this can be looked at as an investment?

thank you
casual

·
Registered
388 Posts
I've got a seat of Pro E and a huge punch out on the shop floor with some benders. I was going to try and figure out a one piece strut bar that could be folded up out of steel or aluminum. the finish on the steel would be more fun, kinda the computer zinc and gold plating, but weigh more. I can powder coat aluminum. I wanna play around with it. Dimensions would be nice. save me from doing the measuring.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts