Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The passenger side struts on my 1999 G20 went bad. The car has 200K on it and I plan to keep it for one more year. While I was inspecting them, I noticed the CV boots are torn as well. No clicking or popping sounds yet so I assume the CV joints themselves might still be okay. I have a couple of questions:

1. Should I replace the CV joints at the same time I replace the struts, I've done quite of bit of work myself on the car but I've never replaced CV joints or struts before. It seems straightforward enough, does it make sense to replace CV joints and struts at the same time?

2. Should I replace both front side struts? The driver side is in good shape but I've heard conflicting reports about whether they should be done in pairs or not!?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I would. You've already got half the CV axle job done by tearing apart the suspension. I've never heard you had to replace both struts at the same time, but at 200K, the other one probably isn't far behind. You're going to be taking it apart enough that I think it would make sense to do both struts and axles at the same time if you can afford it and don't mind having your car out of commission while you do it. Otherwise you could get away with just the bad strut(s) and axle.

Definitely do the axle though, because you've almost got the job done by the time you get that strut out. Just don't forget to break loose your axle nut first before lifting your car up! Tough to get it off without the car's weight to keep the axle from turning.

·
Registered
254 Posts
if they are original nissan axles, I would try to save them and just replace the boots, I heard the nissan OEM axles are really strong.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The passenger side struts on my 1999 G20 went bad. The car has 200K on it and I plan to keep it for one more year. While I was inspecting them, I noticed the CV boots are torn as well. No clicking or popping sounds yet so I assume the CV joints themselves might still be okay. I have a couple of questions:

1. Should I replace the CV joints at the same time I replace the struts, I've done quite of bit of work myself on the car but I've never replaced CV joints or struts before. It seems straightforward enough, does it make sense to replace CV joints and struts at the same time?

2. Should I replace both front side struts? The driver side is in good shape but I've heard conflicting reports about whether they should be done in pairs or not!?

Thanks in advance.
I am currently working on my clutch and CV axle assembly, my passenger wheel side boot is already broken in half.

here are the answers:

1. If you have original NISSAN\Infiniti ( others call it GREEN shaft ) CV axle assembly, you don't hear clicking noise and the shaft is not BENT. Yes go ahead buy yourself a replacement BOOT KIT, my suggestion? go buy the Infiniti boot kit that's what I bought. $36.00 each it comes with everything clips, grease and metal band., no need for crimping tool. I checked the generic autozone dorman brand boot they're thin & looks like they will not fit well compared to the OEM Infiniti part.

Re-boot all four boots. Left and right shaft assembly.

For your struts, I'd suggest go & replace it, I bought KYB GR2, [ approx. $55.00 amazon ] the ride is a little stiff than the original. NO PROBLEMS so far. My p11 2000 has Unisa Jecs front and KYB on rear as original factory installed. Do it in pairs.

here's my thread. got good help with people here.

http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?111107-KYB-GR2-REPLACEMENT-For-P11&highlight=kyb+gforce

Back to your axle, the reason I recommend to just reboot your original infiniti axles:

1. You know that the axle works without problems, you just need boots.
2. Buying a brand new axle from cheapo third party manufacturers, may get you into more problems like the DREADED VIBRATIONS from 30 - 50 mph. The cause of this? The shaft itself is not balanced or a remanufactured bent axle.

here's a sample.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzI-VtLXVQM

Most people here they have good luck with RAXLEs and EMPIs. The EMPI reviews from VW, Honda and Subaru people are pretty scary. Google EMPI cv axle review you'll see. no complaints about RAXLEs

Infiniti part is = $680.00 a piece.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.