Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what's the real diff between strut and springs? ive heard suggestions about just getting springs on stock struts and other suggestions about getting both struts and springs.

·
THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!
13,766 Posts
if you put lowering springs on stock shocks, it will eventually blow the shocks. the stock shocks are meant for stock height springs. so if you're going to lower your car, do it right. i blew my 2 front stock shocks on H&R sport springs, so even if i wanted to go back to stock, i can't.

·
*BANNED FROM G20.NET*
4,911 Posts
P11Gdub said:
if you put lowering springs on stock shocks, it will eventually blow the shocks. the stock shocks are meant for stock height springs. so if you're going to lower your car, do it right.
+420 on that one bloodhound...

Im siting on stech's and stock struts as of right now and the ride es no bueno. Take that back, its fine but you know it'll be so much beter with the right setup. Im just waiting on picing up some TEIN SS's. I was thinking about going the stechs on AGX route but would rather pay a few hundred more for some coilovers. From whatI read, AGX's will end up blowing in a couple years or so...if the SS' need repressurizing, they'll do it for free or something like that...

Jump on the SS group buy, it'll be worth it...

·
Registered
233 Posts
P11Gdub said:
if you put lowering springs on stock shocks, it will eventually blow the shocks. the stock shocks are meant for stock height springs. so if you're going to lower your car, do it right. i blew my 2 front stock shocks on H&R sport springs, so even if i wanted to go back to stock, i can't.
You can use aftermarket shocks with OEM springs. :p

But to the threadstarter, I agree -- if you're going to lower your car, get both springs and shocks at the same time.

Otherwise, if you install new springs and wait for your old shocks to blow, you're just going to have to jack up your car (again) and remove the spring/shock to put in a new shock (again).

Or if you're going to pay someone to do it, you're going to pay said person to do it twice, where you could have saved on labor costs by only getting them to hoist up your car once.

·
THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!
13,766 Posts
Ugly said:
...if the SS' need repressurizing, they'll do it for free or something like that...
according to a Tein customer service rep, the Tein SS coils have a limited lifetime warranty, and as long as the shock body is intact/undamaged, they will repressurize the shock FOR LIFE. Tein FTW...

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
SgtDGun said:
i think you mean coilovers, not struts, the P11 doesn't use struts only shocks and unlike most cars today the P10 has struts on the back and shocks on the front
Neither have shocks, they have dampers :p The rear of the P10 has a Chapman strut suspension arrangement though.

·
THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!
13,766 Posts
SgtDGun said:
ok smarty:) explain the difference between shocks and Dampers besides the fact that Damper is a catch all term that describes a device ie a shock or strut, that controls motion
check your tone when you speak to Mark...

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
SgtDGun said:
ok smarty:) explain the difference between shocks and Dampers besides the fact that Damper is a catch all term that describes a device ie a shock or strut, that controls motion
There is no such thing as a shock (absorber) on a car's suspension, a damper damps spring oscillations. If anything a spring is more of a shock absorber than a damper ;)

Shock absorber is just an incorrect word to describe a damper.

·
uruG 02G
7,417 Posts
I didn't know that about the Teins. Very interesting. I'm looking at some SS's this summer... I think...

Stolen from KYB's web site, impropper grammar and all:

"SHOCKS VS. STRUTS
Struts work just like shocks to dampen the movement of the suspension to help control ride motions and keep the tires in contact with the road. However, unlike shocks, struts are an integral, structural part of the car's suspension. In many front wheel drive applications, the strut forms the mechanical axis around which the front wheel turn.

The hydraulic systems inside struts are very similar to those in twin tube shocks. It's the outside structure that makes struts different than shocks. Some struts are constructed using cartridges that house the hydraulic assembly. These struts can be rebuilt be replacing the cartridge. However most struts use an integrated design and must be completely replaced when they fail or become worn.

While many do-it-yourselfers can tackle changing shocks, replacing struts is a much more complex job requiring specialized equipment. In most cases, when struts are replaced, the car's front end must be aligned."

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
P11Gdub said:
check your tone when you speak to Mark...
I thought the smiley was an indication that i was joking.... no offense was meant.

markbuts3 said:
There is no such thing as a shock (absorber) on a car's suspension, a damper damps spring oscillations. If anything a spring is more of a shock absorber than a damper ;)

Shock absorber is just an incorrect word to describe a damper.
Good answer. Touche. its just that your first reply to me indicated that they were 2 different things. which could have the uninitiated going around in circles when they went shopping for new "Dampers" perhaps they call them shock absorbers to differentiate them from struts. since both are dampers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts