Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

stuck rear calipers

2K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  Ugly 
#1 ·
I'm trying to replace my rear brake pads and I can't seem to back the piston back into the caliper. I've done the front pads with no problem and the rears are stuck. I've used two different C clamps and even a cheater bar on the clamp and it doesn't budge. Am I forgetting a step or something. Any help is greatly appreciated. And now I can't seem to get the original pads back in, so no way to get to work tomorrow! :surprised

See less See more
#5 ·
just be glad its not a ford. ford turnbacks suck you need this weird tool and half the time it dont grip right and i end up using channel locks to get them back

#8 ·
I had the same problem, but I also had to replace the calipers as well, but thats another story.

I went to my local auto parts store and they said there are some Jap cars that have this, and I had to buy a special tool with little notches in it for different calipers. You could also go pick that up, I think it was $10 or so.

If you don't know what I'm talking about I can take a picture of it.

#11 ·
Yep..you can pretty much use anything..just make sure you hold on to it tight and press firmly on the pliers, because they can slip and start to chip the metal part of the piston you are trying to put in....I chip it every once in a while, but not enough to cause any problems :cheese:

#14 ·
i'm using channel locks to do the job, and the piston is spinning around no problem, but i dont think the piston is moving in at all. how much do you have to turn it to make it go all the way in?

#18 ·
J..M said:
Get one O these

oddly enough, i had one of those in my toolbox lol...got that ish finished in 10 minutes with that little thing :D

#25 ·
I just experinced the same thing... Is this in a FAQ somewhere?

How does this work internally it surely doesn't screw out but then you have to screw it back in...

It is actually pretty stupid because my rubber boot on the piston also spun and nearly tore because of this design.

-Rich

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.