Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone else had this problem? The rear bolts from the crossmember ( where the front & rear motor mounts are) are coming loose and the motor is jumping around. Is there anyway to fix this or do I need a whole new subframe assembly? That would suck!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
1PhatG said:
has anyone else had this problem? The rear bolts from the crossmember ( where the front & rear motor mounts are) are coming loose and the motor is jumping around. Is there anyway to fix this or do I need a whole new subframe assembly? That would suck!
Two questions:

QUESTION #1:
Are they actually coming loose? Falling out loose?
ANSWER #1:
If so, tighten them with a torque wrench to the proper specs from the FSM. That should solve your problem.

QUESTION #2:
Or is the crossmember somewhat loose, but the bolts are still tight to the correct specs?
ANSWER #2:
If you look closely, the two bolts up front and the two bolts in back have a rubber washer crushed in there. I will assume that rubber is bad and needs to be replaced. I have never replaced them, but did look at them when I replaced my motor mounts on my old '91 NX2000.

They could possibly be dry-rotted and cracking away.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, they aren't loose, they are being ripped out and it is stripping the threads. 1 bolt already came out. This happened to my friends SE-R and he ended up replacing the whole subframe. I would like to see if there are any other ways around this.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
That just doesn't sound good. Not good at all.

Well, if there is that much force on the crossmember causing it to rip the bolts out, you have a serious problem.

I would say your motor mounts are shot and are causing the engine to jerk excessively hard. This is causing the center support to take all of the force from the engine movement instead of the mounts.

I would seriously have it looked at or if you are mechanically inclined and you have excess miles on the car and the motor mounts have not been replaced, there is where you start.

Replace ALL of the motor mounts and see about getting the holes re-threaded and replace all 4 bolts for the center support.

Personally, if it were my car I wouldn't even be driving it that way. You are just putting more stress on hte supports than are needed which could cause more damage.

·
Registered
47 Posts
this is what appeared to be a problem with my p10. the motor started shaking around like crazy. i figured it was a broken mount, so when i went to replace it i found that the two rear bolts of the crossmember loosened up next to the fact that the mount was actually broken. one of the bolts was a little stripped. so i just ordered two new ones for the rear and i haven't had a problem since.. well, with the crossmember that is. :)

if the threads are stripped on the frame then it might be possible to tap new larger bolts in. if that's not possible, it might not be lookin too good bro. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts