Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to put in possible two 10' in subs in the back, i have enough room. There is a little part in the trunk were it goes back and it can fit in there. Would one 12' make more sound then two 10's. I was just wondering how much it would all cost to get done, with the amp too. I have a pretty good budget, i just would like to know, what the cheapest it would be to get it done. Thanks. :cheeky:

·
Registered
757 Posts
I put two 12s in mine. Custom box by boy built for me so that I could still reach the spare. In theory the 2 tens should be louder than the 1 twelve.

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
G-TWANKY'94 said:
I would like to put in possible two 10' in subs in the back, i have enough room. There is a little part in the trunk were it goes back and it can fit in there. Would one 12' make more sound then two 10's. I was just wondering how much it would all cost to get done, with the amp too. I have a pretty good budget, i just would like to know, what the cheapest it would be to get it done. Thanks. :cheeky:

Sir-C said:
I put two 12s in mine. Custom box by boy built for me so that I could still reach the spare. In theory the 2 tens should be louder than the 1 twelve.

To answer both of your questions its like this. (2) 10" subs = 20"s of subwoofer cone space. (1) 12" is 12"s of cone space. Therefore the (2) 10's move 8" inches of air which in some form is easier to create spl(sound pressure level) = more volume. However, 12" subs I think are usually better as they normally play lower but its just a myth. AS long as the 10" hits the same frequencies as the 12". Frequencies are measured in Hz 12" are known to play more deep bass 50hz and lower some 10's cant hang under 30hz. My (1)Image Dynamics IDQ12 hits something insane like 14.5Hz or something in that region. 10" inch subs are known for punchy bass as they hit into the higher midrange bass as well as a bit of the low end. They usually do much better than the 12" at around 200-250 Hz range. I think the twelves are the best sub on the market as they give you a the bottom end of the mid range and the bottom end of the lower frequencies.

Go 12" if you love deep bass and have good- decent midrange door speakers. Go 10" if you like the mid range punchy type bass.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I roll with dual 10" RF Punches. 12"s have a thicker sound, but 10"s hit quicker :cool:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Depends on the subs and the music you listen two. Spend twice as much on a twelve inch and you may well be better off than buying two tens.

On the whole, twelves are better for deeper bass, mainly cos they move more air at lower frequency than a ten.

Tens are usually better for Detail bass as the lighter cone can react more quickly. Give me an Idea on what sort of effect your looking for and I can go into more detail.

Enclosures are easily as important as the sub itself. If you are after better transient response (how rapidly the bass hits) You looking for a sealed box usually. Typically two boxes are better than one if you go the two sub route.

Ported boxes tend to go louder but the transient response is not so good. Personally, I'd go for a better quality single 12 in a sealed box, rather than two cheaper 10's. I wouldn't be using my subs to turn heads though (boom box style), I'm more concerned about how good it sounds to me.

Good luck with choosing
Rich.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Re: Re: Subwoofer

GTA_G20 said:

10" subs = 20"s of subwoofer cone space. 12" is 12"s of cone space.

Your maths is a little screwed there matey:

two ten inch cones has an equivalent cone area of a single 14 incher. (not that they make 14's) not a 20 inch sub.

Most of what you said was pretty right though. especially about uprating the midrage if your using a seperate sub.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Everyone's telling you the right thing. I'm not even really sure why I'm replying. Anyway - I have 4 shitty 10s. JBL Grand Tourings...don't get me wrong - $50 a sub for the harmon kardon name, double stacked magnets, rubber surrounds, 275W RMS, 1100W Peak, hit down to 20Hz [all that times 4]. I can't really complain at all!

The difference in 10s and 12s is all about the kind of bass you prefer to listen to. If you like the LOUD low boomy notes, then I'd say 12s are the way to go. 10s still produce those low boomy notes, but it's no where near as loud (for some odd reason - only 2 inches bigger?).

If I were you I would get 12s...one or two depending on your budget.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
12's

I'd recommend 12's to anyone... I personally have a sealed box with two 12 Kicker Comps... sounds mad deep in bass. I'd fit two more tens in the corners... but my P10's already heavy as is... and I don't wanna end up with a rattling-ride! I'd say slap two 12's in there and good Mids in Highs inside the car... you'll be a happy mate! ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts