Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone,
i bought a 2000 G20T with 128,000 miles on it. since the beginning it's ride is very bumpy and noisy. when i drive i feel like something is moving under the steering wheel and makes a thud like noise.
i thought it was due to shocks. so as junknstuff [thanks to him] suggested i bought KYB GR-2 shocks and went to the mechanic to install them. mechanic told me that, KYB shocks are not good for small cars. they are too hard and only good for heavy autos (i.e. SUV, VAN).
he suggested me these:
Monroe shocks [front] + labor = 300
Monroe shocks [rear]+ labor = 270
2 lower arms [he will get it from the dealer] + labor = 496
4 engine mounts [he will get it from the dealer] + labor = 520

engine mounts are really bad i guess. he showed me, when the car is on the engine shakes violently.

so the total estimate is like around 1600$.
i just dont know what to do.

:*(

·
The Emo Kid.
6,673 Posts
buy motor mounts from everythingg20.com
call ask for justin say youre from here, hell hook you up with all 4 for about 300 bucks shipped.

ask him about the lower arms too.

kybs are not bad for our cars. our p10 has them and yes theyre stiff, but maybe get some kyb agxs which have adjustable hardness and are only a bit more expensive

·
The Emo Kid.
6,673 Posts
oh and what you feel and hear under the steering wheel, i had too, on the exact same car. for me it was a motor mount that wore through the rubber and was resting the engine metal on metal.

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
The guy is trying to take you to the cleaners on the shocks. GR2s are a slightly-firmer-than-stock replacement that is up to spec and they work well on all varieties of cars. They are actually especially suited to sports sedans like the G20. If this guy is saying that GR2s are bad shocks for your car and is trying to sell you Monroes instead, I don't trust him at all. Take your business elsewhere.

The mounts may well be bad but I question whether the control arms might be okay considering the fact that he is trying to sell you new struts that you don't need. Get a second or third or fourth opinion.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
^^^

Indeed. I wouldn't trust someone that's telling you what you already have is not good and offering you their product.

In fact, I don't see why the control arms would be bad. Did you crash or something? I think you should fix the motor mounts, put the shocks in, and see if the problem is fixed. It very well may be all that you really need.

Demon

·
Registered
329 Posts
The mechanic is bullshitting you. KYB are really good shocks for the G20 and DO suit it perfectly. Don't even THINK about going for those crappy Monroes.

Take your business to another mechanic that won't try to rip you off.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
With that money get Tein Coiliovers, SuperPro bushings and buy the motor mounts from Justin and change it yourself.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you can, do the work yourself. Saves a bunch of money and you learn more about your car. Shocks aren't that bad to do. Never tried the motor mounts so I would consider paying someone to do those.

At the very least take the car somewhere else to have the work done.

·
Registered
626 Posts
ishti said:
hello everyone,
i bought a 2000 G20T with 128,000 miles on it. since the beginning it's ride is very bumpy and noisy. when i drive i feel like something is moving under the steering wheel and makes a thud like noise.
i thought it was due to shocks. so as junknstuff [thanks to him] suggested i bought KYB GR-2 shocks and went to the mechanic to install them. mechanic told me that, KYB shocks are not good for small cars. they are too hard and only good for heavy autos (i.e. SUV, VAN).
he suggested me these:
Monroe shocks [front] + labor = 300
Monroe shocks [rear]+ labor = 270
2 lower arms [he will get it from the dealer] + labor = 496
4 engine mounts [he will get it from the dealer] + labor = 520

engine mounts are really bad i guess. he showed me, when the car is on the engine shakes violently.

so the total estimate is like around 1600$.
i just dont know what to do.

:*(
If you were close to NH i would help you with this stuff seems like he is tryin to take you to the ckeaners :angry:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Motor mounts will be expensive even with a g20.net discount. I went through my mechanic and it cost around $400 to replace mine. Dealer markup is near 100% so doing it yourself won't save you a grip of money. Concerning the shocks however, that guy's an idiot.

·
no rainguard clips...FML
4,132 Posts
everyone is right about the shocks buddy; gr-2s are nice and cheap OEM replacements. agx's are more expensive but i wouldnt suggest it since youre on a budget and on stock springs and whatnot. i found the gr-2s on ebay for $219 shipped for a full set.

for the motor mounts, please call everythingg20.com and talk to justin. i would ask him for the november special prices on the motor mounts cause he JUST had a sale on them. if everything is cool im sure he'll be able to help you out and that will definitely help lower the costs of things. as for the install, it doesnt take too long to just unbolt and rebolt a new motor mount in because you dont have to do any pressingout or pressing in of anything; new mounts come in new brackets. just basic tools are needed: jack, jack stands, basic wrenching set.

looks like NYC....i know i do this a lot but...i always suggest trying to round up any local members who might be able to spare any time to give you a hand. NYC has a large concentration of sr enthusiasts and g20 enthusiasts as well who im sure will be more then happy to lend you a hand, provided they are fed or something. pm me later.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
kyb's are great, i install them for people all the time, if u can wait till spring ill install those shocks for u for dead cheap.

·
G20 OG
6,684 Posts
motor mounts are easy talk to Justin or someone and get some mounts and we will help you get them installed... it doesnt take that long for the install, i think ti took me an hour to do mine and that was on one jackstand in the cold and a little trouble... all four should take more than tow hours tops

·
uruG 02G
7,417 Posts
I wish there was a motor mount write up (hint). :D

Ishti - a lot of us are on KYB-GR2's (including my self), we would not steer you wrong. I dig the way my car handles, and my springs are even a hair too stiff for the GR2's (not the other way around). I'm on H&R springs. They GR2's are a good choice, this guy's a beef cake, who ever he is. Hopefully not related to you. Peace.

·
G20 OG
6,684 Posts
well as far as i see we are posting more in this thread than he is... im willing to help but he hasnt replyied yet so ill wait on that...

as for a writeup its super easy you dont nee a write up... if you can change your tires you can change the motor mounts

for the front/rear its as simple as jack up car, remove 6 bolts and the cross member and mounts pull down. 4 more bolts to remove the mounts/brackets. Install is th reverse

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
G-ealousy said:
I wish there was a motor mount write up (hint). :D
I heard there is one in the sponsor section.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts