Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, what I've noticed recently that's *really* annoying is that when my sunroof is completely shut, it's not tight. It doens't leak or anything, but if I push up on it with my hand there is definately play in it. It's really annoying cuz it bounces up and down when I go over bumps and what not..

How do I tighten it up?

·
Registered
102 Posts
i have the same problem i think that they all have the same problem i tried tightening some runners on the track it on made other problems... i hope someone can help us....

·
Registered
199 Posts
Not only is my sunroof loose like yours, but it does leak. Does anybody in Toronto know of places that service sunroofs?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Let me tell you a little about the sunroof hehe =0) Yah...so after mine is broken, I decided to tackle this job.

Now the first time you do this...it *will* be a multi-day job so prepare yourself. Hopefully this can go into the FAQ and I should be adding pictures if i can get them scanned.

The first thing you need to do if you want to get to the sunroof assembly and whatnot is take off the roof liner. I know its a pain...

1) Take off the "o-shit" handles. You need to pull up the little plastic covers on the end and push them onto the handle. There will be a screw on each side...unscrew and remove.

2) Take off sunvisors. Open them up...do the same poping off of the cosmetic cover where the screws are...unscrew.

3) Take off rearview mirror...this actually pulls right off...you can do that or take off the cosmetic cover and unscrew accordingly.

4) Pull off front lamp assembly and middle lamp assembly.

5) Pull off A, B, and C pillar covers. Just grab them and yank fimrly off...they're just attached in by push clips.

6) Pull down on the back of the roof liner...there are 5 push clips that attach it on...and one in the front.

7) Recline both seats so you can turn it sideways and pull it out of the car.

8) Put it somewhere safe so you get no grease on it.

You now can look up and see the whole sunroof rail assembly.

At this point I will describe taking the whole thing off.

1) Where the glass is on the inside, unscrew the two black screws for the cosmetic covers and pull them off on the left and right sides. You should see 3 nuts on each side.

2) Unscrew these nuts and pull the sunroof up right off the guide brackets. Set it somewhere safe so you cannot break it and/or drop it.

***If your sunroof is leaking this may be a good time to order a new seal to put around the edging of your sunroof***

3) Take off the steel spacers and set them aside.

4) Looking at the top of the car you will see a long black metal piece that goes across the whole sunroof opening in the back. Remove it by unscrewing the two screws. This bar serves two purposes. One, when it rains when the sunroof is closed, it channels water to the sides to exit the drains. Second, it pulls the sunshade back when the sunroof goes back.

5) Reconnect the wire harness to the sunroof and completely open the sunroof. You will see the little brackets move back so it'll give you and idea of how it works. At this time you can mess with it to give you a better understanding of how the brackets work.

***Note, before doing this step you MAY want to mark a reference line of the slide along the rail so it will be easy to determine the closed position when installing it next***

6) Pull the sunshade forward. You will see 2 clips on either side. Push them in and pull the sunroof shade up and out.

7) Go inside and unscrew off the bracket that goes around the sunroof motor.

8) Unplug all the wire harnesses to the motor and unscrew the motor (3 screws) and be careful to catch a little blue spacer on the 3rd long back screw. At this point the motor may or may not drop down. Be careful to hold it if it does...if not you may have to turn it a little (either manually or reconnect the switch) and turn it just a tad to loosen the torque it has on the cables.

9) Go to all four corners of the rail assembly and unplug the drain hoses. Also pull off the wire harness to the middle lamp. It should be under some padding on the drivers side where the middle bar is.

10) Unbolt the 4 brackets towards the back of the assembly, 2 on either side.

11) Unscrew the 4 nuts on the front of the assembly.

12) There will be 2 nuts holding it up on each side. Carefully do one at a time.

***Note this is where you need to find a friend if you have one or maybe a bum off the street to help you hold on to it...its not required but nice to have***

13) The whole assembly should come right down. Twist it around and pull it out one of the front doors.

Time for an essential beer.

Now that you have the assembly you can take it apart. In my case, I found that the driver side guide wasnt working properly...it was getting very stuck at one point on the track. At first I thought it was the actual rail that was messing up, but in fact it was the guide that was getting torqued over time from the pulling of the cable.

To take out the cable and guide:

1) Put down some cardboard or stuff if you are working on a floor where you dont want grease on.

2) Unscrew a little screw at the end of the rail, pull that and a little rubber piece off.

3) Unscrew the stopper piece and slide it out.

4) Manually pull the guide back to the end...when you get it close be ready to catch a little spring loaded piece at the end.

***Note careful here...dont break this stuff its a pain. And be careful to keep all the parts...there will be tiny pieces***

5) Keep pulling the guides out and the cable will come out along with it on the track.

This is where you need to look on the bottom of the guide (the one with the cable attached) to see if in the middle of it there is a witness mark to rub. If so, then you need to order a new one. The part number for the drivers side is: K1359-50J10

Get the part, grease it up...make sure it moves freely. You will need to assemble it a bit. It will come with the whole guide and cable.

To install it back in, just do the opposite...but be careful not to really stress the parts and note the correct order you took it out.

Put the rail back in the car, bolt it up but not too tightly. You will need to manually push the guides up to the closed position that you marked off before when you took them off.

Make sure that before you attach the motor that you push the "close" and "down" buttons all the way to put the motor to its stop limits on it (Trust me on this).

Alight the window...make sure to use those spacers and bolt it on...you will need to play to make sure it fits perfectly. Tighten everything up along the inside and the sunroof bolts then you can manually move the brackets from the inside. You can ONLY move the brakcets manually without the motor in place.

Remember to put that sunroof shade in!

Hopefully I will have pics...any questions let me know. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
Mine rattled when I got my car, if you put it into the tilt position, there are two small torx screws that will sort it, they are on the sides, towards the rear....you should be able to spot them, when my gf returns with the car I'll take pics of em for you....

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
markbuts3 said:
Mine rattled when I got my car, if you put it into the tilt position, there are two small torx screws that will sort it, they are on the sides, towards the rear....you should be able to spot them, when my gf returns with the car I'll take pics of em for you....
I like this solution better :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
There are 4 screws that hold the glass in, if you look in the first pic, you'll see I've arrowed the ones on one side. The plastic pieces pop out to allow access with a torx driver...

A close up of one of the screws....

On mine the two screws at the rear were loose, ant the glass rattled (jumped) when going over bumps. I think I may have tightened mine up a little too much though, as the roof flexes as the sunroof is closed from the tilt position...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Per my request before, I was asking about the sunroof assembly for a P10.

When I was at the car wash last week, a ratchet and socket fell through my sunroof glass and came crashing down inside the car. The owners of the car wash were very cool about it. They gave a credit card number to my body shop and asked them to take care of me. Problem is that it is taking forever to get the assembly (which they say is required as the glass cannot be replaced by itself).

Anyway, I am not worried about it costing too much as I am not paying for it. But, I was hoping to get the part number so that I can research alternative sources myself.

Sorry if this should have been a new thread. With the detailed instructions for removal/installation, I figured a part number for the assembly might be appropriate.

THanks!

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
AximMark said:
Per my request before, I was asking about the sunroof assembly for a P10.

When I was at the car wash last week, a ratchet and socket fell through my sunroof glass and came crashing down inside the car. The owners of the car wash were very cool about it. They gave a credit card number to my body shop and asked them to take care of me. Problem is that it is taking forever to get the assembly (which they say is required as the glass cannot be replaced by itself).

Anyway, I am not worried about it costing too much as I am not paying for it. But, I was hoping to get the part number so that I can research alternative sources myself.

Sorry if this should have been a new thread. With the detailed instructions for removal/installation, I figured a part number for the assembly might be appropriate.

THanks!
You can replace the glass, it is held with the 4 torx screws I pictured above....

Nissan part number....

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
AximMark said:
SOrry to be a bother, but I can't quite make out the sunshade part number.

Mind posting that as well?

THanks!
You have to remember these are Nissan part numbers, you could just go to an Infiniti dealer with your VIN number and get them to look up the part numbers.....

·
Registered
710 Posts
Seriously if you're in a bind, goto the local junk yard and tell them to pull off the glass. They'll be happy to sell it for you for like $75 or so while you wait for a new one. Make the place pay for them botH :)

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
DaPCWiz said:
Ok, what I've noticed recently that's *really* annoying is that when my sunroof is completely shut, it's not tight. It doens't leak or anything, but if I push up on it with my hand there is definately play in it. It's really annoying cuz it bounces up and down when I go over bumps and what not..

How do I tighten it up?

Did this get sorted ??

Was it the torx screws ???

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol I don't drive the G20 on a daily basis since I got the 240sx, lol. I have yet to fix the problem. I'll get to it one day... and I'll let u know when I do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts