Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

Super Charger

5K views 45 replies 17 participants last post by  p10der 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok guys all I have seen soo far has been Turbos... I know these have a huge amount of power (once spooled). What I would like to know is. Has any one put a Super charger on there SR20DE??
well guys get back to me on this.. thanks

jared

#2 ·
Re: Supper Charger

macross said:
Ok guys all I have seen soo far has been Turbos... I know these have a huge amount of power (once spooled). What I would like to know is. Has any one put a Supper charger on there SR20DE??

jared
I'm no sure what a supper charger is. Is this better than say a breakfast charger? How about a lunch charger? :confused:

;)

#3 ·
Re: Supper Charger

macross said:
Ok guys all I have seen soo far has been Turbos... I know these have a huge amount of power (once spooled). What I would like to know is. Has any one put a Supper charger on there SR20DE??

jared
Go here and search on supercharger vs turbocharger:

http://www.se-r-list.org/archives/

#4 ·
As of right now there are no bolt on super charger systems for a g20. Anyways why would you go with a super charger those are for mustangs and firebirds not imports. besides you get more a hp out of a turbo anyways. just my 2cents

#6 ·
Yahnozha said:
There is a super charger for the 90-96 Q45 that looks pretty trick...too bad no one makes one for the SR20's

Go Here to see it
Maybe there's a reason no one makes one... :surprised

It's been tried, you can read up on the results with the link that Geo posted earlier in the thread.

#8 ·
slowg20 said:
I know a guy that will custom build a supercharger, and anything else u need. He's workin on a set of racing seats and a itake monifold for me. Just figured i would add that......... if u need something let me know.

91 p10 with 95 sr20de motor
Might as well custom build a turbo kit and get better results. ;)

#10 ·
slowg20 said:
thats why im building my own..... im takin a det manifold turbo and downpipe, then adding det cams, and 350cc injectors. Also a intake manifold and boring the throtle body.
Hope you add some sort of fuel managment to that list...you'll be running like pooh, pooh if you don't.

What's with the intake manifold? Why?

#12 ·
G-Forces said:

Hope you add some sort of fuel managment to that list...you'll be running like pooh, pooh if you don't.

What's with the intake manifold? Why?
If he's going to go with the o2 induction piece http://www.o2induction.com/ From what i've heard it's a really nice piece, and on a boosted car it's supposed to really help the top end. However, it's not designed for street use as there is no emissions fittings designed into the manifold. However, on the throttle body, i'm curious as to why you'd want to run that?

#13 ·
the debate

...the debate between turbo and supercharger has been going one for years...

Jackson Racing makes a great supercharger for the Miata 4cyl.... why not the G20? Probably because of lack of demand is all!

The supercharger gives you instant power and the motor won't run as hot...

The turbo gives you 'free' power from the exhaust 'so-to-speak' but you have to worry about turbo lag and very hot engine area's..

I've owned both turbo, non-turbo and super charged.... my personal vote would be supercharged just because of all the extra car I had to take with the turbo and the lag bugged me... now if you do twin turbo to eliminate lag... that is a different story!

#14 ·
Re: the debate

Chris said:
...the debate between turbo and supercharger has been going one for years...

Jackson Racing makes a great supercharger for the Miata 4cyl.... why not the G20? Probably because of lack of demand is all!

The turbo gives you 'free' power from the exhaust 'so-to-speak' but you have to worry about turbo lag and very hot engine area's..

I've owned both turbo, non-turbo and super charged.... my personal vote would be supercharged just because of all the extra car I had to take with the turbo and the lag bugged me... now if you do twin turbo to eliminate lag... that is a different story!
You're making a lot of bad assumptions and vauge statements here.

#15 ·
no I'm not...

I'm going on my own personal experience with cars...

Even the Audi TT I drove didn't have smooth power but 'lurched' from the boost... perhaps other's don't notice it as much or don't care....

I owned 2 XR4Ti Turbo charged cars... I did all sorts of mods to one of them, air-to-air intercooler, aftermarket waste gate actuator, Cosworth front grill... and the 2nd one that I kept stock I changed only the front grill to get more airflow.. eveything in that engine compartment still got much hotter than usual.. and I always had to be careful to use turbo approved oil.... Those radiator hoses had to be changed more than normal because of how hot it all got..

...now perhaps the newer technology turbo's do not run as hot, that is entirely possible... BUT I have yet to drive a turbo that doesn't have some sort of lag and sudden boost... THE ONLY EXCEPTION in my driving experience is the Porsche 911 Twin Turbo where I did NOT notice any lag.... as I said, even the 2001 Audi TT had some lag and bursts..

Supercharger's traditionally don't have that lag problem (more smooth power band)... AND they tend to not run as hot (traditionally).

...this is all, of course, my personal experience!

#16 ·
Re: no I'm not...

Chris said:
I'm going on my own personal experience with cars...
Right but you are stating personal opinion as fact!

Not true. Superchargers still have lag. The power may seem instant because it's so linear. Not to mention a centrifugal supercharger sure does have lag. As for runing hot? Are you talking about the compressed charge or the actual unit itself? Of course the superchaging unit will be cooler, it doesn't have exhaust flowing through it. It's also a well known fact that aside from centrifugal superchargers they are less efficient than a turbo. They are getting better but in general a compressed charged from a turbo will be cooler than a compressed charge from, say, a roots supercharger.

The reason that superchargers don't use intercoolers in gerneal is to keep the complexity down. Once you add an intercooler to a supercharger you might as well turbo it. Superchargers are all gernerally low boost, less than 10psi so an intercooler isn't necessary.

but you have to worry about turbo lag
This statement is only half true. With a properly sized turbo with bb centers you can size a turbo that feels like a supercharger or a bigger engine even. Granted you'll hurt your top end potential but that is the price you pay for a high power charging system, which I doubt you could make a supercharging kit that could compete.

now if you do twin turbo to eliminate lag... that is a different story!
This is a silly statement unless you're talking about a V motor configuration. A twinturbo setup on a 2.0 I4 is not feasible. OK, it can probably be done, but a well sized single turbo setup will outpeform it in every way, lag included.

I'll agree superchargers have their applications. I prefer turbos. However I'd rather get a VVL swap than put a supercharger on my SR20. ;) I'm not sure exactly where you are located but I'm betting there might be a couple of people in your are with a turbo'd SR20DE that wouldn't change your mind about trubo systems. Just ask Geo.

#17 ·
I used to think SCs were better than turbos.

I used to hate turbos.

Then I got an education. Thank God.

I still prefer NA to turbo, but that's strictly for personal reasons.

FWIW, my Beast engine and my DET put out about similar power. The Beast was more fun at throttle tip-in and the DET is more fun as the revs climb, although after about 6000 rpm the T25 wimps out a bit. I rarely redline the car anymore. Couldn't say that about The Beast (RIP).

I think I would avoid SCs like the plague.

#18 ·
Was the turbo setup oil cooled? Most setups recamend a oil feed line into the turbo. Plus from what i have seen, adding a intake manifold creates more air and better flow aswell as a throttle body. i am also gonna be using 350 injectors for right now and a bigger fuel pup. Im only lookin to make about 300 hp, i have made it before in a eclipse so i know its not that far off.

91 g20 w/ 95 sr20de

#19 ·
i personally like both sc's and turbo's. You have one on demand and u have another onerther one thats kind of what i call a neck breaker. As far as the jackson racing super charger i think its junk... i have heard and witnessed to many bad things (thats for the civic setup). It may work better on the miata i dont know, but i would prefer a turbo.

#20 ·
i guess...

then I just prefer other things to 'turbo' is all.. based on my prior tubo cars and turbo cars I've driven (except the Porsche Twin Turbo).. I don't like the lack of smooth consistant acceleration.

I like raw predictable smooth acceleration .... IE the 2002 Porsche Boxster S has this (no turbo, no supercharger).. the 2002 Audi TT does not.. it is a bit choppy in the powerband.. more power at some points and less in others....

My former Merkur XR4Ti Turbo's had their share of issues... I didn't like how hot the tubo made everything around it... I didn't like the special oil and care that had to be taken.. and I didn't like the 'lag'.

I've driven in a Miata with a Jackson Supercharger and that Miata really needs it to make it worthwhile.. I have not driven in a Turbo Miata so I cannot make a judgement comparison myself.

My personal view is that if the G20 acceleration doesn't suit you, get a new G35 or do some other stuff first before going the expensive (more involved to maintain) turbo route... by the time you spend the money on the turbo conversion, you may as well have bought a different car that has the HP without a turbo or supercharger!

(again, my own personal experience and opinion only)

#21 ·
A supercharger would be a great upgrade for the G20, however I believe they do not have one designed for the G20....yet. I'm not sure if a turbo gives a greater horsepower gain, however a supercharger is better off in any car, no matter American or Import. I have seen incredible gains with a Supercharger in a simple 1994 Civic Si HB, along with upgrades in this car, it beat a Z3 with a M3 engine drop, so please make sure what is said about a Supercharger in an Import.

Anyway, sorry about getting off topic. The benefit of a Supercharger would be the fact that a turbo needs spooling time and a Supercahrger reflects horsepower gains thoughout low and high end, where as turbo is more of a high end gain.

Don't get me wrong though I wouldn't mind having a turbo though.
;)

#22 ·
jdragonprc said:
A supercharger would be a great upgrade for the G20, however I believe they do not have one designed for the G20....yet. I'm not sure if a turbo gives a greater horsepower gain, however a supercharger is better off in any car, no matter American or Import. I have seen incredible gains with a Supercharger in a simple 1994 Civic Si HB, along with upgrades in this car, it beat a Z3 with a M3 engine drop, so please make sure what is said about a Supercharger in an Import.

Anyway, sorry about getting off topic. The benefit of a Supercharger would be the fact that a turbo needs spooling time and a Supercahrger reflects horsepower gains thoughout low and high end, where as turbo is more of a high end gain.

Don't get me wrong though I wouldn't mind having a turbo though.
;)
Did you read any of the previous posts in this thread?
The SR20 motor has had a supercharger tested on it before, with not so great results, especially considering how it compared to a turbo on the same motor. There were some definite negatives associated with the SC on the SR20 motor. They can all be found in the SE-R mailing list archives. Also, you're telling me something like 35hp to the wheels with a JSRC is better than a turbo kit on the same car? here's some numbers from Jackson racing's website:
-The 95 Civic EX on their site gained approx 36whp and 25ft.lbs of torque.
-The Integra GS/LS/RS gained about 31whp and 21ft.lbs of torque
-The Miata gained on avg about 42whp and 35ft.lbs of torque.
-The focus gained about 47hp and almost 19ft.lbs of torque.
-And the Integra Type R gained 48whp and 31ft.lbs. And that's with a couple extra things done on the dyno run with the SC.

Those numbers are pretty weak, i've seen bolt on cars gain more hp than some of those cars would with the JRSC. I know for a fact that a turbo could put down quite a bit more power than those too. I'd also be willing to bet that a properly sized turbo would do it with virtually no lag too. With a big FMIC air intake temps would probably be just as low, if not lower than a SC too.

Also, just out of curiousity how much power was that 94 civic putting to the wheels, stock motor or swap? And what M3 motor was in the Z3?

#23 ·
jdragonprc said:
I'm not sure if a turbo gives a greater horsepower gain
I am.

jdragonprc said:
however a supercharger is better off in any car, no matter American or Import.
Ahem.....

How to say this delicately......????

BULLSHIT

jdragonprc said:
....so please make sure what is said about a Supercharger in an Import.
Well, please make sure you have your ducks in a row (hint: you don't).

jdragonprc said:
Wow, you've bought the horsepucky, hook, line, and sinker.

#25 ·
Numbers aren't anything, it needs to be proven on a real time situation and it also depends on the weight of the car... AND on top of that I wasn't bad mouthing turbos. If you have never been in a SC car AND a turbo one don't speak, cause I have SEEN the results of what a JRSC does. I posted my message IMPLYING that their are benefits in both situations. And if you were really into cars, you wouldn't bad mouth anything that adds hp to your car. Including, I said that I wasn't sure if they had a SC made. And I am sorry if I offended anyone in my previous post.

#26 ·
WOW!

someone opened a huge can o' worms bringing up Turbo vs. Super Charging ---

Ho hum.... I wont' be doing either to my G20 ever.... regardless of how great the turbo is... (and I'm guessing it is a fantastic upgrade) BUT...just not my thing any more... I had my fun with turbo's a while back with my 2 Merkur XR4Ti's...

....now, I like normally aspirated power... Turbo's are more maintenance than normal engines -- but in many cases, it is worth the extra maintenance ...I just don't want to go there with the already picky G20 engine..... ....just me I guess...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.