Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, so I know there's already a thread on this (http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43582&highlight=ipod) but I figure i'd go ahead and post another FAQ to show just how damn easy it is to do this. You'll need a philips and flat head screwdriver, some zipties, and a little bit of patience.

1. Get a P11. I picked up this sweet Metallic Pea one back in August.

2. Get an iPod. My weapon of choice is a $99 refurbished 2GB Nano from Apple.

3. Go on ebay and get a kit from seller integration_solutions. It's a complete kit (~$130 shipped), with everything you need to connect your ipod to the stock radio.

YEAH BABY

4. When you open the box, you'll see all this crap fall out.

The thick cord goes from your head unit to the white thingy, and the thin cord goes from the white thingy to your iPod. The white thingy turns radio signals into iPod signals I guess? Who knows. Questions? Good, lets move on.

5. See the two screws below your head unit holding the bezel in? Take those out.

6. Then, pull away at the bottom first...

7. And work your way to the top with a flathead screwdriver.

8. Yay, it's off!

9. Next, rotate it 180 degrees and sit it on your dashboard, leaving the vents plugged in.

10. Unscrew the 4 gold hex-shaped screws that hold the head unit in. 2 on the right, 1 on the left, 1 on the bottom.

11. Pull the head unit out.

12. Unplug these two turds, and the antenna cable as well (far right).

13. Now you're going to first want to figure out where you want the iPod cable to come from. Not wanting to drill anything, I chose the center console by the e-brake. I removed the little crater below the e-brake by prying it out with a screwdriver.

14. I used a flathead to help run the iPod cable back through the center console to the head unit.

15. And there she is!

16. Okay, here's how to wire the white thingy in. Take the white box, and plug the iPod cable into one end, and the radio cable into the other end. You can drill and screw it in, or use adhesive, but zipties are easier. I ziptied it to this hunk of wires in the middle (the white thingy faced back).

***Note, the radio cable is coming out of the top, and the ipod cable is coming out of the bottom.***

17. Now, you'll see all this crap coming out of your dashboard.

18. Now, one of the connectors from the car will fit into a connector that came with the new cable. Plug them together.

19. Then, plug the remaining connectors into the sockets on the back of the head unit that fit...you will have two connectors from the new cord, one from the car, and the antenna (they are all different and can only go in one way...IT IS INCREDIBLY HARD TO SCREW THIS UP).

20. Note, the socket on the bottom right will be left empty (the black one is filled by a connector from the car)!

20. After that, put your head unit back in, screw it back in, slide the bezel back on, and screw that in. And WHA LA, you can listen to your iPod in your head unit.

Whenever you connect your iPod it'll show as disc 5 in the cd changer. There is a playlist mode, which sucks because the ipod turns off and you only use the buttons on the stereo, so u can't access any song you want at any time. Direct mode is better because you can use the ipod and the stereo buttons. SWEET.

***YOU CAN NOT USE THE EXTERNAL CD CHANGER WITH THIS KIT***

Special thanks to ChickenWing for this thread: http://g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20353&highlight=constant+12v that showed me how to get the head unit out.

Thanks G20.net and integration_solutions :cheese:

·
Registered
180 Posts
So with this kit you can use the ipod to navigate what you listen to?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Nice write up!!!
And i think with the direct mode you can use the ipod to control....if i understood that right....

·
Registered
957 Posts
+1 for the writeup...nicely detailed ^.=

but u noe what, i have a slight problem...your p11 doesnt have gnet license plate frame, u noe, that's one of the most important and illest cosmetic mods to have on ur G. GET ONE! =D

·
Registered
926 Posts
nice write up. thanks for providing all that info to us. can you a clearify a little bit more about direct mode vs play list mode? i'm guessing this integration kit gives you the option to switch?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
so I guess this wont work with aftermarket headunit on a p10? Nice writeup sorry for the side question, don't mean to steal your thunder

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Here's what I found off of the web

What is Direct Mode?

Direct Mode allows you to search and select music on your iPOD directly just as you would in portable use. The sound of the music will play back through your factory car stereo. Use the Track Up/Track Down, fast forward and reverse buttons on your radio to control music playback. All control functions on your iPOD are available to use too.

When the iPOD is connected to the adapter in Direct Mode your iPOD screen will screen will go blank for a few seconds before the normal screen returns. To select your iPOD simplys set source on your radio to CD Changer, at this point the audio of your iPOD will be played back at DISC 5 and TRACK 1.

What is Playlist Mode?

Playlist Mode allows you to operate and control your iPOD like it is a CD Changer. This mode allows you to access up to 5 playlists on your iPOD. This is also referenced as External Control Mode of the iPOD.

When operating your iPOD in PLAYLIST MODE make sure and turn your NISSAN radio ON before connecting your iPOD. After connection, the iPOD will take a few moments to change to external control mode. The screen of your iPOD will then show and you are now able to select your iPOD as a source in Playlist mode.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^^ What he posted is correct. This is the item I picked up - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150035277400 I can get the part number if anyone needs it.

aw11_p10 said:
nice write up. thanks for providing all that info to us. can you a clearify a little bit more about direct mode vs play list mode? i'm guessing this integration kit gives you the option to switch?
Yes, there is a switch on the white thingy that allows you to toggle between playlist and direct modes.

gomd3 said:
so I guess this wont work with aftermarket headunit on a p10? Nice writeup sorry for the side question, don't mean to steal your thunder
Honestly, i'm not sure. The harness is for the stock P11 head unit. I'm sure with some wiring youd be able to get it to work.

CarloSR said:
I already said it's been posted, jackass. Read the first line of the writeup. "I know there's already a thread on this ..."

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Bauley said:
Yes, there is a switch on the white thingy that allows you to toggle between playlist and direct modes.
So you have to have access to that white box if you want to change between mode...right? I guess you just decide which you like better and just go with that :teeth:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
merlin said:
So you have to have access to that white box if you want to change between mode...right? I guess you just decide which you like better and just go with that :teeth:
Correct. Direct mode is better, because you can use the iPod OR the head unit to control the ipod. Playlist mode, you can only use the head unit. Playlist mode sucks :cheese:

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
hey guys I just saw this on my manual... I have an older Alpine HU and I can use the CD changer input as an ipod/ Xm radio imput using an adapter such as this ebay adapter Just giving you guys a heads up, in case it would work for some of you! Wohooo guess I get to hook up an mp3 player to my HU after all :thumbsup: It's an M bus to RCA adapter, then use an RCA to 3.5mm adapter afterwards, they also sell M bus to 3.5mm adapter by itself!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts