Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:zoinks:Hey guys, I need help on this extremely annoying noise when going over bumps. When I drive over either multiple small bumps or large bumps on the street I get this loud bang or clunking noise near my driver front side of the car. I searched all over the forums & thought I found the solution. Here is what I changed in my car. Changed both Lower Control Arms, upper control arms, sway bar endlinks, 4 new KYB shocks, and new brake pads.

The Infiniti dealer and my mechanic inspected all the suspension and brake parts underneath the car and says everything looks tight. $700+ later and still the NOISE!!! My mechanic looked at the motor mounts the other day and it looks fine. My 1999 P11 has 130k miles on it. Does anyone have any ideas on what the heck it could be and/or what I missed? I'm starting to think I should get a new car....

·
Registered
185 Posts
is the car recently lowered? is it constant clunking? or just one time? can you feel it in the pedal or steering wheel?

sounds suspension related. if you're recently lowered, sometimes it could be your springs settling in. could also be your LCA/UCA being loosely tightened. you can check the bolts on that and see if they're torqued correctly. also check if your wheel is torqued correctly. hopefully you didn't get a bad shock and it just keeps bottoming out on you.

·
Im a organ donor.
4,843 Posts
does it sound like THRIP..PRADDA (or like bigger screw driver being slammed on a wood tabble)cause i got some fucked up issues over bumps too. mine is passenger side. it kinda went away though....i havent heard it in a while. nothing you could hear with the radio up, but in silence it was bad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its not lowered. I know its not the shocks or springs b/c i put the same shocks/springs on a relatives car and no noise at all. The clunking and bang noise only happens when I go over bumps. it definitely feels like something is loose. I checked all the LCA ,UCA, caliper, wheel bolts, strut bolts their all tight.

Driving on smooth road no noise, and no vibrations driving on the highway. The alignment feels straight. The bang noise is like metals hitting hard. :depressed

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
You state that you replaced the sway bar end links, but did you replace the sway bar rubber mounts that attach to the frame?

Also check the sub frame mounting points for worn bushings or loose bolts.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I've had a metal on metal clanking noise from the rear end of my car as well. Since new springs/sturts didn't fix the problem. I'm almost certain it's caused by a rear caliper (missing e-brake bracket). Gonna stop by the dealership after work today.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
yup i had the same problem.....my car is under warranty so, i took a infiniti tech with me and he heard the noise and they were able to fix it.....the part # should be in nj primera's thread

·
Registered
65 Posts
Any updates? Having the same issue mainly over small repeated bumps... feels/sounds like there is something loose in the suspension area. Strut mounts, tie rod end, sway bar link...? I will have it checked by a mechanic but from what Ive seen in other posts, it seems to be very hard to track down

·
Registered
209 Posts
my p10's doing it now :confused:
i've replaced just about everything i can, and still the clunk

next week, i'm going to replace the steering rack bushings, and cross my fingers that helps

i did notice with oversize wheels/tires that the tires hit the inner arch plastic protectors, so maybe that's part of the noise

oh, here's one you haven't heard: the noise goes away at night when it gets cool/damp :baffled:

then comes back again in the mid morning :zoinks:

·
Registered
185 Posts
my p10's doing it now :confused:
i've replaced just about everything i can, and still the clunk

next week, i'm going to replace the steering rack bushings, and cross my fingers that helps

i did notice with oversize wheels/tires that the tires hit the inner arch plastic protectors, so maybe that's part of the noise

oh, here's one you haven't heard: the noise goes away at night when it gets cool/damp :baffled:

then comes back again in the mid morning :zoinks:
sounds more like bad bushings and/or loose UCA/LCA bolts. my truck's lift kit gets like that when it's warmer (noisy/really squeaky suspension) and the bolts on the UCA have to be tightened every once in a while.

·
Registered
209 Posts
update: changed these three items: 1) crossmember bushings 2) sway bar end links 3) strut bumpstop

no more clunk, but am unsure what item in particular was the culprit

·
Premium Member
6,140 Posts
When he replaced his LCA's (I'm assuming he replaced the whole arm) it comes with new ball joints. Hmmm, what about the 'Third Link(s) (#6) A lot of people mistakenly call the upper links (#5), upper control arms. It seems some people have issues with the bearings that the pivot shaft from the knuckle (#7) mate with. Hmmm, another issue (seems rather simple & trivial but does help prevent sound travel) are the 'Shock Absorber Mounting Insulators' Some people don't bother replacing those BUT they are there for a reason. Also, (although not numbered in the pic below) are the Front sway bar bushings? You can replace these for under $20 with Energy suspension ones.

·
Premium Member
6,140 Posts
Hmmm, I'm thinking the cross member bushings. Seeing you got a P10, that means the bushings are at least 12 yrs old. They're rubber and they will eventually wear out ie provide no more isolating. And not matter what a mechanic does with a car on a hoist, there is no way he can reproduce the speed or frequency of any driving scenario by hand to reproduce the noise.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts