Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So near the end of summer I slid into a median. From the outside of the car you could not tell that it had incurred any damage. However, the suspension of the car was really banged up. I got my car fixed but the suspension really sucks now, its not the G20 i used to drive.

I feel like I am driving a damn buick, whenever I go over little bumps my hood kinda bobbs up and down after the bump, also I feel that my car comes down really hard when I hit bumps at a higher speed, almost like it is bottoming out, I mean my coins in the cup holder get a jolt and you can hear it! The left side (wrecked side) seems to be bouncy-er than the right, so in the car when a bump is hit, you also get this side to side motion, really uncomfortable. If that wasn't enough, hitting bumps with my new suspension lets the steering wheel move alittle when the suspesion is hopping. Guys, this really sucks and driving this car isnt the same.

What are possible problems?? If I upgraded to a Tein SS coilover system later down the road, can I get a better ride back, a more stiff ride??? Will my suspension ever stop SUCKING!!??

·
The Emo Kid.
6,673 Posts
well it sounds like youre taking bumps at like 50 mph :p

it kinda sounds like whatever they replaced they used a longer bumpstop or something so it bottoms out sooner...
as for the hood, thats not suspension related, id check and see if the latch got bent or something and isnt holding it down all the way, thats the only possible cause.

id jack it up and take the wheels off the messed up side, and shake shit around a bit to see if anything feels or looks off. take some ics and post em too

·
La-illaha Il-lallah
2,034 Posts
Have you checked the shocks to make sure they are not blown. Also, I found that if you damage suspension its better to replace pretty much the whole thing. My car was hit on the passenger side fender and I kept having vibrations and ride issues. Eventually I found a partout and bought the entire p/s suspension...hub,knuckle, upper and lower control arm and replaced it with new shocks/springs. Worked like a charm.

·
The Emo Kid.
6,673 Posts
yeah, rereading that it does sound like blown shocks. go to the front of your car, and push it up and down so it really gets rocking over and over again. let go, and it SHOULD bounce up, down then settle. if it keeps bouncing, like its on springs, youve got blown shocks. same for the rear.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys

about the hood, i was just saying the entire front end bobs up and down, not the actually hood itself. Also as for replacing the suspension, almost everything was replaced (on the front, where the damage was) it got really messed up.

I think i also have a problem with my upper control arm, its clanking around when ever I add some gas and it will pop when I change gears. at least thats what the tech at the dealership said was the problem...

uggh.. I hate this kinda stuff, you can spend 6 grand and still not have a normal car

·
I met Gate Cat
4,436 Posts
I'm going to have to go with everyone else on this one on the blown shock. Although I have my AGX's set pretty stiff (front on 3 rear on 6), it doesnt drive like it used too when I first had them installed. I'm guessing it's time for me to get new shocks as well, but I might as well save the extra money for SS. :D

·
P10 FTMFW!!!
2,489 Posts
Dude i have my AGX's/Tein's set to 3/6 for about 2 months now...its stiff as hell but its bouncy as a strippers fake boobies. I've tried every other setting softer and that doesnt help...what do you think? Sorry to hijack your thread btw =P

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so instead of dumping alittle money into fixing my blown shock, can I save my money and invest in some SS??? or am I still screwed, i am such a noob on suspension :/

·
The Emo Kid.
6,673 Posts
youre fine driving with blown shocks, i did for a year, its actually jsut more comfortable in the end because its like floating... haha. it would explain the bobbing of the hood up and down over bumps and such

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2000 G-Twenty-T said:
youre fine driving with blown shocks, i did for a year, its actually jsut more comfortable in the end because its like floating... haha. it would explain the bobbing of the hood up and down over bumps and such
would this also explain the slamming when i go on and off interstate overpass connections on the interstate?

·
The Emo Kid.
6,673 Posts
not sure what you mean. if youre going fast and the car is jerked upward (a sudden steep spot or bump) yeah it could potentially feel like bottoming out. the shocks would have to be pretty bad though. how many miles are on your car/springs? it sounds like slamming might have to do with something else thats loose and take a good jolt to move and hit a solid position. do what i recommended in the second post. the 2 tests and taking wheels off, youll find something if its loose

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i mean, when i hit a bump a moment later, when the suspension should have dampened the bump, i get this smack like the suspension didnt work very well at all. I dont really bounce when hitting the bump instead my wheels just slam. And im not speaking of hitting a speed bump, just cruising down the highway and hitting an overpass seam or dip. it sucks man, i can hear my coins slam in the cupholder, its pretty strong reaction, or rather lack there of

·
P10 FTMFW!!!
2,489 Posts
Yeah its kinda the same way with me...my keys dont ever stop jiggling around even on a pretty good condition highway =P

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
It's really dangerous to drive with a blown schock and with suspension damage, even more if it's the front..

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
A blown shock affects to the balance of the suspension and balance of the car, in braking (negative camber and toe in one front tire), meaning more understeer (blown shock wont hold the weight), less traction and less braking (less tire surface on the ground). Add to that a that the suspension is bouncing continuosly and the car feels like a 79 Impala.

How more dangerous can it be ?

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
Definitely dangerous...

We used to have an advert on British TV showing the difference in braking distance with worn dampers. Iirc, it illustrated it well with the child getting hit by the car with worn dampers.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
where the upper links and lower control arms replaced???

if not, i would say it's your bushings.

my car had the same "bottoming out" feeling. i thought it was the shocks too. replaced the the bushings.... problem solved.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
octotat said:
where the upper links and lower control arms replaced???

if not, i would say it's your bushings.

my car had the same "bottoming out" feeling. i thought it was the shocks too. replaced the the bushings.... problem solved.
wow! thats really odd you would say that. i got a 2nd opinion who thought it was by bushings (which they didnt replace), i might fix it all come spring.

and the whole suspension was replaced for you guys wondering about safety. but it may be that i still have blown shock, but i would have figured that would have been replaced, couldnt have gone bad in a few months. but i definitely notice everything Carlos said about balance and steering, i dont like it. my suspension definately feels out of balance when i hit a bump...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts