Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a very noob question, but I've searched and most of the questions I see all relate to lowering the vehicle, which I'm not interested in doing.

My issue is this: the car has an OEM suspension, and it's a bit rough, probably because it has 130k miles on it. What options do I have for making it smoother?

·
P10 FTMFW!!!
2,489 Posts
Replace the struts with new ones...check your bushings...replace them as needed...

·
P10 FTMFW!!!
2,489 Posts
Haha...that was really close in timing =P

guess i can just type slightly faster =D

·
Registered
731 Posts
bushings?? can you guys be more specific?

·
P10 FTMFW!!!
2,489 Posts
All the rubber parts around your suspension...control arms, sway bar links, top and bottom of struts, etc.

they are a bunch of them, and rubber dryrots/cracks/etc over time, also causing harshness or loose feeling in the suspension.

·
Registered
731 Posts
All the rubber parts around your suspension...control arms, sway bar links, top and bottom of struts, etc.

they are a bunch of them, and rubber dryrots/cracks/etc over time, also causing harshness or loose feeling in the suspension.
yes.. i know there's a bunch of them, and i've searched and read countless threads (my job gives me a lotta time to surf)

front sway bar has bushings, control arms have bushings, struts assembly has bushings.. what else should/need to be replaced on a 9 year old/100k+ car?

·
P10 FTMFW!!!
2,489 Posts
Then why did you ask to be more specific if you know where the bushings are?

I would look at the rear ones too...in the same places...

Anything rubber on a 9 year old car you should really check and see how good condition it actually is in...

My radiator hoses were dryrotted to crap...and a couple vacuum lines as well...i still gotta go through and check more of them...but thats all not suspension related.

I would check to see what condition your motor mounts are in...

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
Climb onto the bumper and get the suspension moving up and down, then jump off. If the car continues to bounce, the struts are blown. Do this for both back and front.

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
Struts are shocks with a spring seat built in.

·
Registered
20,808 Posts
Struts are shocks that are also a part of the suspension geometry, like the rear of our cars. The front just uses shocks.

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
so the p11 has struts in the back, shocks in the front?
No, the P11 has shocks at all four corners. The P10 has shocks in the front and struts in the back.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ah okay. After performing the "test" today, I'm feeling I need to replace all four shocks on my p11.

Anything else I should do as well? A coworker of mine said I should check "bumpstops". True or false? What are these?

·
The Emo Kid.
6,673 Posts
Ah okay. After performing the "test" today, I'm feeling I need to replace all four shocks on my p11.

Anything else I should do as well? A coworker of mine said I should check "bumpstops". True or false? What are these?
they are basically little bumpers on your shock that keep your shock from compressing all the way. theres not much reason to check them. he doesnt know what hes talking about.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hrmm...

So will replacing the shocks fix the roughness? Or should I do anything else in addition to replacing them?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts