Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which ones do you guys think are better Osrams or Sylvanias? From what I've read the Sylvanias are whiter and the Osrams are brighter and project more light.

·
Premium Member
6,140 Posts
Personally, I've gone through 3 or 4 pairs of the Sylvania 9003 Silverstars, in less that one year! Not good! But I was fortunate enough to keep my receipts and returned them all. I bitched that this is unacceptable for a $28cdn bulb. Oh, I did manage to get 1 pr for free direct from Sylvania Canada under warranty when I also called to complain about their product. I have now switched to Phillips 'Crystal Vision Extreme' bulbs. These are rated 'up to 4000K' I happen to stumble upon them at Costco about the same time my last Silverstar burnt out. And according to the packaging these bulbs (Phillips) are made in Germany. If that's worth noting.

As for what your original question, it what your after that counts. IF you are going for looks and want a brighter looking bulb go with one that has either a 4300K or 6000K rating. However you should know, the higher the 'K' rating the less actual light output (measured in Lumens) you get. It's a big misconception that everyone makes! If you want better visibility, then stick with the lower 'K' rating say 4300K or even 4000K rating.
After all that rambling, from what was mentioned in another thread I read, you can order 'osram' bulbs direct from overseas (UK I think) for a little more than you pay for the Silverstars from a retail store in the US.

Check out this thread. Check out post #31?

Also check out this thread Post #3.

And here's another thread to check out. This one a long thread and discusses PIAA bulbs as well. Member MannyB does a great job explaining colour temp vs output in posts #41-46/7?

·
Registered
233 Posts
AzNhOmEbOi32 said:
Which ones do you guys think are better Osrams or Sylvanias? From what I've read the Sylvanias are whiter and the Osrams are brighter and project more light.
You are correct. Sylvania Silverstars (US spec) are whiter, Osram Silverstars (Euro spec) are brighter.

They're essentially the same bulb, but the US version has a slight bluish tint on the glass -- moving the bulb towards whiter light.

But the blue tint acts like blue sunglasses -- it takes away some of the light in the lower kelvin temperatures, so you lose a bit of brightness.

slimlou is right -- pick whichever one you want. If you don't do a whole lot of night driving, or if you live in a major metropolitan area that has plenty of street lights, you probably wouldn't notice any significant difference in the output. But one is brighter than the other.

·
♥
3,947 Posts
AzNhOmEbOi32 said:
you are correct with your assumption. if you drive alot at night especially back roads or wooded areas, you will find that the euro spec osrams seem to project more light.(but not as white)

i drive mainly in the city, so sylvanias are my choice.

·
Dude, your bed is a car..
4,567 Posts
I would go for Sylvania Silverstars. thinking on buying those for my car...

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54024

I'd go with the Osram Silver Star... They put out more light (which I hope is what you want to begin with) and I think the light is cleaner/brighter. The US Sylvanias have tinted glass which effect light output. I also didn't like driving behind them at night, plus they burnt out every 3 months.

Osram FTW! also cheaper....

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. I knew they were the same company one Euro(Osram) one US(Sylvania) but just wanted to see what ended up being the better choice. I remember those posts and came across them when I was searching. I was leaning more toward the Osrams in the first place. I'd rather put more light on the road. Well now that I know the Sylvanias burn out so quickly... that just assured my choice of going with the Osrams.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts