Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize that this may be an old topic, but, a search revealed no posts.

My 70k '95 G20 has regular premium oil. It uses and leaks no oil! Yet I am tempted to replace the premium with sythetic oil for the promised reduced friction and duration.

However, I have heard a lot of stories about synthetic oil passing through seals that have been swelled with regular oil.

Any comments, opinions, experiences, advice etc. appreciated.

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
Stick with what you are using...very few people run synthetics...Only the parinoid ones...hehe (you know who you are!) Just keep chaning oil and filter every 3000 miles and youll be doing good...

BTW Ive been running non-synthetic oil and Im at 91K on the odometer.

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
the debate

Where I see synthetics as a benefit is if you have something like a cab where you are running the car in really harsh conditions 12 hours a day or more... OR you are someone who races A LOT... OR you simply want to do the oil change every 6 months instead of every 3 months... synthetic still gets contaminated... also, once you go to synthetic, you are supposed to stick with it.. it costs more than twice the cost of regular oil so I ask, why?

·
Registered
807 Posts
G-Forces said:

Who me? :paranoid:

ME TOO...

I perfer synthetic to regular just because i like to have that added protection when i do race someone or go to the drags. Yeah it costs more but for a low milage motor its better to start early then start later like some of the higher milage motors in here. The problem with synthetic is is cleans out all the old bullshit and will cause a car to smoke until it gets rid of all the deposits and build up of old oil on seals and such. Yeah its probably a waste of money but money is meant to be spent and shit i can handle $20 every 2 or 3 months.:rambo:

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Yahnozha said:
Stick with what you are using...very few people run synthetics...Only the parinoid ones...
That's only because everyone's out to get me.

:paranoid:

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Whats the I hear about changing oil every 7000 miles instead of 3000? Isnt that bad for the engine

·
Registered
58 Posts
Talk about paranoid...

If you drive NORMAL miles you can use the Infiniti recommended interval for oil changes. The 3000 mile cahnge is for SEVERE service and recommended by those in the business of oil changes, including the dealer (they ARE NOT the manufacturer).

As for synthetic, I can tell you what I HAVE seen in my 95 Honda Odyssey. I bought it with 75K miles on it two years ago and changed to synthetic right away. It only uses about 1/3 quart by the NORMAL oil change point of 7500 miles. Also, the synthetic oil does not turn black like regular oil. Even at 7500 miles, it looks like regular oil changed just a week earlier. This tells me even in NORMAL driving, synthetic does NOT BREAKDOWN like regular oil. This confirms the claims of much higher burn off temperatures. Notice, I said NORMAL driving, not racing, high heat, etc. The differences under those conditions should be even more pronouced. Further evidence of synthetic advantages, it is the factory oil on BMW, MB and Corvettes. BMW uses 30K oil changes with their synthetic and filters every 15k. I've adopted a similar change schedule at Honda intervals filter every 7500 and oil every 15K. At these intervals, it is CHEAPER than regular oil every 3000.

As I have stated elsewhere, do you own test. After an engine flush, see how long it takes for synthetic to look dark in your engine. If you drive VERY regular miles, compare MPG between each oil. If you want a REAL test, send you oil out to an oil analysis company every 3K and see which oil last the longest before they recommend it be changed.

Yes, on high mile and low maintained engines, synthetic can CLEAN up the seals of gunk and then start to leak. If you have down regular oil changes or know the history of your car to be well cared for, you should have no problems switching over.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Re: Talk about paranoid...

WTB_95G20t said:
I've adopted a similar change schedule at Honda intervals filter every 7500 and oil every 15K. At these intervals, it is CHEAPER than regular oil every 3000.
How do you change your filter every 7500 without changing your oil? :p That would be quite a challenge.:paranoid:

I think you meant to say:

I've adopted a similar change schedule at Honda intervals filter every 15k and oil every 7500.;)

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
question..

does anyone happen to know if it causes a problem going from synthetic back to normal oil?

I ask because I intend to use Synthetic for my Alaska trip (to avoid multiple oil changes en-route)... and want to go back to normal when I return.

I've heard that once you go to synthetic on an engine, that you have to stick with it!!!

Comments anyone?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Re: Re: Talk about paranoid...

NismoPC said:

How do you change your filter every 7500 without changing your oil? :p That would be quite a challenge.:paranoid:

I think you meant to say:

I've adopted a similar change schedule at Honda intervals filter every 15k and oil every 7500.;)
Step 1) Remove the old filter
Step 2) Install the new filter
Step 3) Top off oil

I change the FILTER every 7500, so new filter material can clean the synthetic for the second 7500 miles. At 15,000 mile intervals, I am changing BOTH the filter and oil. Hence, filter EVERY 7500 and OIL every 15,000.

No, I have never heard of any problems switching back to normal oil, nor can I conceive of any problems this would cause. In fact, any mixing is the same result as the Synthetic blends on the market. FYI: To be considered a blend, in accordance with the law, the oil only needs to be 1% synthetic, that's right 1%!!! So mix your own if you want to use a blend.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The main reason I started this post was that I had heard that if you change from regular oil to synthetic after about 60k; sometimes seals that did not leak with regular oil, suddenly start to leak the synthetic oil. Anyone heard of this before?

Just reread your post WTB_G20T, guess that answers it – Thanks

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
o.k.

I just talked to my resident expert (11 year Infiniti master mechanic)...

....OLD school thinking (what he was taught in school out in Wyoming Tech 12 years ago) is that if you change over to Synthetic, you should do it between 10K and 20K and no later because if can cause problems with seals leaking if you do it later in life... ALSO, OLD SCHOOL learning was that you should stick to synthetic once you change over because it wears differently and is similar to the idea that you should not change direction of the tires once they are used to going in a certain direction.

---NEW SCHOOL thinking these days says it is o.k. to put in synthetic after the first oil change and/or later in life (after 60K)

He told me that he still doesn't think it is a good idea to swap back and forth... so my thinking is that I'll just stick with synthetic after my trip (why not, I'll have longer periods of times before I have to worry about changing the oil this way)

..and he said that the debate is still on whether or not it is bad/good to change too late or too early..

His feeling on the G20's is that the synthetic is a good idea because the SR220DE is picky about oil changes and can sludge very easily... synthetic needs more to break down into sludge therefore allowing the engine to run cleaner longer...

so the choice is ultimately up to you..

Basically, if you do your oil change every 3 months or 3000 miles, there really isn't a need for synthetic..

If you like to wait 4-6 months between oil changes, you should seriously consider synthetic but stick with it once you change..

(This is according to my mechanic)

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Everyone can pay 20 dollars every three months for an oil change, come on now, it's not that expensive.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
oil

It would be a waste of time putting synthetic oil in your motor if it has already done 60 thou or more.you would'nt get the protection it offers at that mileage,because the damage may have already been done.If you are going to use it its better starting with a new engine.As regards the seals it may depend what condition they are in,but if you have used a good quality oil it should'nt make a difference to be honest.So its up to you if you swop over.

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
you do have a point with synthetics, but if your religious about oil changes and filters, I dont see the need. Uless your well modded like Geo's car, bless his soul.

I plan on staying with regular oil and will move to synthetics when the new engine goes in. Keep in mind guys, Ive now got 92K on my odometer, so I change oil pretty regular like...

Oh yeah, buy a magnetic oil drain plug while your at it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts