Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice when I brake to a stop, there is a 'tapping' noise coming from the front right of the car, I suspect it is something to do with the brake pads, or something with the right axel joint. Somebody else mentioned that the ABS sometimes makes noise like that.

The noise doesn't happen EVERYTIME I brake, only when I am braking to a complete stop?? Anybody have any ideas? Help me troubleshoot?

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
It shouldnt be your ABS, that only activates under extreme braking. Do you feel *pulses* when you brake under any circumstance, if so you may have to get your rotors turned. Cant really help with the info you have given, try to pin-point where the sound is coming from.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i thought i heard the same noise. is it a tapping/scraping noise? i thought the sound was coming from the front left brake system, but it was actually the rear left. i still haven't gotten it fixed. i had the people who did my brakes look at it. the rear left caliper is not disengaging all the way. it's heating the pad up against the rotor and causing it to pop whenever the brakes are in operation. i'll probably get it done monday, as long as they do it for free. i didnt have this problem before they changed all the pads and flipped the rotors.

run to your shop, get them to listen for the specific wheel its coming from, and see if they have time to throw it on the lift.

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
Mine is doing this too, I was told my calipers are seizing

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not so much a scraping noise, just a repetitive tapping noise that happens in bursts. it could be the front right caliper not releasing properly. the problem is more apparent when carrying passengers, it figures!

gonna get it checked out soon....

·
Registered
117 Posts
perhaps sticking calipers is a common problem with the p10/p11

ok, the plan is to find two...maybe three more people with this problem, and then we can get nissan to make a recall. that way we wouldn't pay anything

:)

·
Registered
117 Posts
well, my car goes in tommorow morning to fix that stuck caliper. i'll let you guys know what exactly it was, and the cost.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool

that's good if u can let us know what the diagnosis is.....it WOULD b interesting if its a recall job - let us know ASAP - THANKS a lot! when u brake, is there any noticeable defect in the braking system? does it pull 2 one side?

·
Registered
117 Posts
nah, the brakes work perfectly fine...but the noise gets worse as the days go by.

it will be a little longer before the G sees the doctor tho. my grandmother just passed on (she was way overdue) and i gotta do some traveling for the funeral.

i might leave it with the grease monkeys this weekend when i get back tho. bear with me, i'll have the fix soon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah, I have the same problem in my right rear wheel. Thought it was the wheel bearing, but that wheel seems to be putting off some heat, so I will have to check my calipers instead to see if thats the problem with mine.

JRoy

Curious since i looked at the date after if anyone ever found out if the calipers freezing up is common?

·
Registered
68 Posts
CosmicG20T said:
I notice when I brake to a stop, there is a 'tapping' noise coming from the front right of the car, I suspect it is something to do with the brake pads, or something with the right axel joint. Somebody else mentioned that the ABS sometimes makes noise like that.

The noise doesn't happen EVERYTIME I brake, only when I am braking to a complete stop?? Anybody have any ideas? Help me troubleshoot?
i'm having the same problem, did you ever find out what's causing it?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Sticking calipers are a P10 & P11 speciality, use a decent 6 point spanner, it corrodes a lot with all the road muck on there. Clean the slider pins, replace if grooved, dress back to clean if rusty, oil them up and replace. Treat the rubber boot with care.

Mike

·
Registered
68 Posts
locally, there are some guys who have machined a thin groove around the perimeter of the caliper pin shaft in the middle and slipped an O-ring on, and with proper lubrication this seemed to have stopped the noise because the pin fits more snuggly and moves easily on the lubricated o-ring. What do you all think about this?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts