Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just about had it! I replaced the timing chain tensioner and have not been able to get it to stop leaking ever since, and by leaking I mean bad leaking unable to drive the car. I ordered a brand new gasket from Nissan,put it in and still shiting oil - although I'll be honest I did put a very slight amount of Grey RTV on the gasket before installing...could that be causing it to still leak? I ordered another gasket already that should be here in a few days..
ANY HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED PLZ/THX!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Honestly sounds less like a gasket issue and more like something's broken/missing. I don't think RTV would cause you to lose as much oil as it sounds like you are either. Try the Nissan gasket and see if it helps but otherwise post some pictures so we can help more.

·
Registered
544 Posts
You probably didn't clean all of the oil off the mating surface. Wipe it clean, then use carb cleaner, brake parts cleaner or Super Clean purple degreaser. It is a hard angle to work with when you are trying to wipe and clean that mating surface, because you can't see it very well, but do it over and over until you can see absolutely zero residue of any kind on the rag/ paper towel your are using.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies! Will deff make sure i clean both surfaces extra, probably could have done that better before...
But finally got gasket #2 in the mail the other day, so in the next few days should have time to give it another go. Also , would the O-ring cause a bad leak? I DID replace it although not with a nissan one... And do you guys think i should re-install with the original tensioner that i had removed? I'm a little suspect of the replacement tensioner (got it from Oriely's) and it doesn't have the little arrow on the back of it...
Thanks again!! Ill try to get some pics to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts