Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 99 p11 when driving at high speed the temp gauge goes all the way to cold.
After let go of the gas the temp gauge goes back to the middle normal. Can someone help me out.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
the exact same thing is happening to me. does it only happen when you go into the upper RPM range?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
thats what i thought it was but i didnt know how to check or replace.

·
'Luke'
5,319 Posts
G20 Touring said:
if the t-stat was faulty then it stay open and the car would overheat
This makes no sense ??? :eh:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I had the same thing go on with my Integra, but I just figured that since I was driving at high speeds the air from outside would be rapidly cooling my coolant and making the temp. needle be lower than normal, but now that I have my P11..it doesn't do that no matter how fast I'm driving. I know this was no help...but bump for you guys :cheese:

·
Registered
233 Posts
G20 Touring said:
if the t-stat was faulty then it stay open and the car would overheat
Only if the T-stat fails closed, which they almost never do (precisely so that the car won't overheat).

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cooling-system8.htm
How it works, essentially, is by acting as a dam for the coolant.

As the car reaches normal operating temperature (gets hotter), the wax begins to melt and the T-stat opens up.

When the T-stat 'fails open,' the wax is perma-open and coolant rushes through, even when it's not supposed to. This is where the car never seems to warm up, because the coolant entered the system too early.

·
'Luke'
5,319 Posts
JustAnotherG20 said:
Only if the T-stat fails closed, which they almost never do (precisely so that the car won't overheat).

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cooling-system8.htm
How it works, essentially, is by acting as a dam for the coolant.

As the car reaches normal operating temperature (gets hotter), the wax begins to melt and the T-stat opens up.

When the T-stat 'fails open,' the wax is perma-open and coolant rushes through, even when it's not supposed to. This is where the car never seems to warm up, because the coolant entered the system too early.
Correct.

A Nismo T-stat p.e. opens earlier, at a lower temp so coolant passes throught the radiator at an earlier stage, thus keeping coolant-temp lower.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
just change your t-stat guarantee it will solve your problem.. had the same issue on a corolla my mom used to drive...

·
'Luke'
5,319 Posts
The Nismo works best in a year-round very warm climate (ask Justin), for normal purposes stay stock.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts