Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, I have a 1999 touring <2nd owner> with 170k on it that I accidentally over-oiled and now have 0 compression in 2 cylinders. So the gasket most likely.

It has a brand new clutch with about 5k on it.
I dynamat'd the interior, and installed a rather nice radio.
Bought new wheels, snow tires.
everything prior to the motor issue works... it had a the MAF issue like everyone else (cleaned it 3-4 times a year).
Body's in good shape.

Basically, I love her and want to get her back on the road now that covid's done and my health has improved....

So, do I repair what's there try to upgrade to a slightly better SR20? (I'd love the vvt I think but it might be overreach)

I know she's 20 years old, but everything about her is dandy otherwise.

I am moderately mechanically literate, but all the pieces of a motor swap scare me much more than a gasket. And I'm not even sure I could do the gasket right now, but could pay to have it done. (health stuff and a bit over my head. rebuilt my motorcycle before though).

Do I have the gasket replaced? if so are performance cams and such still around? should I do injectors also (if it was fine before)?
I'm also going to have to flush the tank and lines because I'm sure the ethanol is paint thinner now.

Sorry to ramble... I am looking for advice and possible resources. Like if I could zoom with someone occasionally while changing the engine that would be epic.... oh, and also I wonder if there are filter relocates still out there because I'm ham-fisted.

Thanks!

CJ

·
Super Moderator
15,208 Posts
Over oiled? Meaning you added too much oil? That usually means there was cavitation of the oil pump and fried bearings or other oil related issues. You need to do a tear down to find the issue first.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Zero compression? Even with a failed head gasket and worn rings I'd think you'd have some compression. Zero seems odd.:unsure:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was told zero in... either 1 and 3 or 2 and 4. I was rather ill at the time. I haven't measured it personally, although I have my gauge somewhere in the garage.
Do I play with it or do I look for a JDM? If I open it are there parts I should replace for better economy/power? what abou putting on a vvtl head?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What, in your opinion, is the best resource for never having done a motor before but tearing into a SR20? A guide, or video, or manual, etc?

·
Registered
545 Posts
I found several videos on you tube on SR20 assembly, good for seeing what goes where. There is a series of assembly videos by "Southern Hooning", "Stephanie Drifts" and another by "Alberto BIGBOOST", among others.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found several videos on you tube on SR20 assembly, good for seeing what goes where. There is a series of assembly videos by "Southern Hooning", "Stephanie Drifts" and another by "Alberto BIGBOOST", among others.
thank you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts