Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
2 cents

1 cent: Know your mechanical limits. Do what you know you can successfully do. Let mechanic do the stuff you shouldn't.

2 cents: ...about going to a mechanic. Mr Ryte is right. If you take your car in clueless as to what may be the problem, then guess what, you're gonna get ripped! Exploratory, experimental fixes add up. Get the mechanic pointed in the right direction from the get go. It will save you wads.

ok, 3 cents:...Take a peek at recommended mechanics in your area. Don't go in blind if you can avoid it.
http://cartalk.com/content/mechx/

(first thing I got for my car was an owner's manual off eBay):nerd:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Very true, this is my first g20 and I want to upgrade. Hopefully with reading and hands on experience I will know the ins and outs of my car before I put money into it. This is a great site and I will take all the advice and tips from you guys as possible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got a '93 G20 after my nissan maxima blew up. The G20 was $600 and in pretty good condition (It was so cheap because it was a friend of a friend of my mom's). Some things need to be done with it like the motor mounts (which is almost done), the rack and pinion, some suspension stuff and some cosmetic stuff (ie; the sealant on the paint, the tail lights, chips, nicks, dents and dings, etc.). Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew of a good place to get inexpensive parts. I don't mind doing work on my own car, but I am only 18 and have limited funds, so the more inexpensive the better.

Thanks,

exstntlstfrtn

'93 G20 5spd manual

·
Premium Member
6,140 Posts
Exstntlstfrtn said:
I just got a '93 G20 after my nissan maxima blew up. The G20 was $600 and in pretty good condition (It was so cheap because it was a friend of a friend of my mom's). Some things need to be done with it like the motor mounts (which is almost done), the rack and pinion, some suspension stuff and some cosmetic stuff (ie; the sealant on the paint, the tail lights, chips, nicks, dents and dings, etc.). Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew of a good place to get inexpensive parts. I don't mind doing work on my own car, but I am only 18 and have limited funds, so the more inexpensive the better.

Thanks,

exstntlstfrtn

'93 G20 5spd manual
It seems like there is 10x more P10's out there than there are P11's. So I think finding (good) used parts shouldn't be a problem. You came to the best site to find help!

You have a few options:

1. Keep an eye out in the 'Buy/Sell/Trade' forums on a regualr basis. Specifcally in the 'For Sale Items' or 'Cars for Sale / G20 Part Out'

2. eBay - sometimes you can find cheap part-out's there

3. Post what you're specifically looking for in the 'Want to Buy' forum.

4. If you need/want new OEM parts, go to www.everythingg20.com. IF you call them, ask to speak with Justin (justinP10 here on G20.net). Even though I live in Canada, I've been buying all my new OEM parts through Justin. My stealership prices can't even come close the to what I can get through these guys!

Hope this helps

·
Registered
455 Posts
amen this site helped me a lot understanding some things about my P10 and many thanks for that.
In my case i do what i can and my local garage does the rest and now it has 215 k on it and last week past its yearly test with nothing wrong !! and runs so smooth....knowledge is very important....

·
Registered
42 Posts
THis is really good advice. I bought my 1992 p10 used so I don't have an owner's manual for it. The closest I have been able to find on the web is the 1994 manual. Is there a site where I can go find the manual for my ride or would any of you kind 1992 owners be able to send me one. I don't mind paying. I just need to know my ride is in tip top mechanical shape and I love the car so much, I am going to make it a family heirloom....lol...

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
I stopped the other day to a car parked in a dodgy position, it Mrs Woman wiv Jonny stuck like a limpet to the inside of the back window ......... She had a punture ........ I quickly found that Mr Man was on the other side of the hedge takin' a wazz & they were waiting for the AA dude to come & change it ...... I asked how comes yas not doing it ya self ....... He says "I dunno how to" ...... I called him a Wanker & left em to it :beard:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I stopped the other day to a car parked in a dodgy position, it Mrs Woman wiv Jonny stuck like a limpet to the inside of the back window ......... She had a punture ........ I quickly found that Mr Man was on the other side of the hedge takin' a wazz & they were waiting for the AA dude to come & change it ...... I asked how comes yas not doing it ya self ....... He says "I dunno how to" ...... I called him a Wanker & left em to it :beard:
amen

·
Registered
7 Posts
YES! I will go find one now...and read it.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
i agree. i can do most if not all maintenance stuff myself. have been tinkering since i was 12 or so. but i am mechanically inclined and if i can get a good look at it i can figure it out. because i WANT to know how things work. nobody WANTS to know things anymore, they want it handed to them on a platter.

i enlist help when i am over my head, or do not have the proper equipment, but i am right there with them doing the job. i have not had a car of mine in a shop in years, except for exhaust work and tires. i plan on continuing that trend.

people that can't at least change a tire and oil are pitiful. i have friends like that and i try to help them out, but they want me to do it for them. oh well they pay me good money to change their oil... my pocket doesn't mind.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm 16 and just got a 2000 G20t and will hopefully be modding it up after I learn more about how stuff works and what not... I'm just wondering what some of the best ways to learn about the car and how to do things and what the best "first step" is to learning about the car before modding. I already read through the owners manual but I still feel like I don't know enough to start taking things apart and putting new things in the engine, tips would be very apperciated!

21 - 40 of 52 Posts