Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

The best mod/upgrade for your car is this!!!!!-->

62K views 51 replies 46 participants last post by  Storm88000 
#1 ·
KNOWLEDGE.

Be a sensible and knowledgeable vehicle owner. :nerd:
Before you mod your vehicle, know how to maintain it. I'm amazed to see how many car/SUV/truck owners are clueless about using the most basic and fundamental part of their vehicle:the owner's manual. It has the info needed to keep your vehicle in a safe and operational condition. What good is it to have a turbocharger, supercharger, NOS(NAWZZZ for those who prefer slang....) a CAI, header, cat-back, lowering springs, aero kits and graphics and who knows what other mods if the vehicle isn't even tuned and running properly? So before you buy any mod or do anything to your ride, learn your ride. Read the owner's manual; see what gap the spark plugs should be set at(both platinum and copper); see where to access and check the levels of the fluids like your brake fluid, transmission fluid, coolant and oil(and while your at it, make sure you're using the right weight of oil, the right kind of brake/tranny fluid, etc........huh, what's that? You say that you don't have an owner's manual? WELL FIND ONE THEN....:angry: ) Hey, if you feel unsure about doing something yourself, fine. But still try to learn about it anyway so if and when you do take your ride to the shop or mechanic you can show them that you have some knowledge about what's wrong, what needs to be fixed and what it does and doesn't take to fix it.

Just remember; your vehicle(s) will be one of the biggest and costliest investments in your life, if you can't make a little time to learn about how to keep it in top shape, don't whine and cry everytime the mechanic gives you an outrageous bill to do the most basic things.......

..........just sell it and take the bus or use some other method of transportation.:sleep:[

See less See more
#27 ·
amen this site helped me a lot understanding some things about my P10 and many thanks for that.
In my case i do what i can and my local garage does the rest and now it has 215 k on it and last week past its yearly test with nothing wrong !! and runs so smooth....knowledge is very important....

#30 ·
THis is really good advice. I bought my 1992 p10 used so I don't have an owner's manual for it. The closest I have been able to find on the web is the 1994 manual. Is there a site where I can go find the manual for my ride or would any of you kind 1992 owners be able to send me one. I don't mind paying. I just need to know my ride is in tip top mechanical shape and I love the car so much, I am going to make it a family heirloom....lol...

#31 ·
I stopped the other day to a car parked in a dodgy position, it Mrs Woman wiv Jonny stuck like a limpet to the inside of the back window ......... She had a punture ........ I quickly found that Mr Man was on the other side of the hedge takin' a wazz & they were waiting for the AA dude to come & change it ...... I asked how comes yas not doing it ya self ....... He says "I dunno how to" ...... I called him a Wanker & left em to it :beard:

#34 ·
YES! I will go find one now...and read it.

#36 ·
i agree. i can do most if not all maintenance stuff myself. have been tinkering since i was 12 or so. but i am mechanically inclined and if i can get a good look at it i can figure it out. because i WANT to know how things work. nobody WANTS to know things anymore, they want it handed to them on a platter.

i enlist help when i am over my head, or do not have the proper equipment, but i am right there with them doing the job. i have not had a car of mine in a shop in years, except for exhaust work and tires. i plan on continuing that trend.

people that can't at least change a tire and oil are pitiful. i have friends like that and i try to help them out, but they want me to do it for them. oh well they pay me good money to change their oil... my pocket doesn't mind.

#43 ·
Oh! I walked right into that one... An army dude told me the same thing...

The most deadly weapon in your arsenal (A rocket launcher? Machette? Homing missles??)

Is your mind... (fail)

#45 ·
Good advice! Remember, to fully realize the potential of most mods, the car needs to be mechanically sound. A $1400 set of coilovers doesn't do alot of good in an almost 20 year old car that has the original bushings. A short throw shifter is almost useless in a G20 with rotted and cracked motor mounts. Before you make your car fast, make sure it is capable of stopping as it was intended to.
I bought my P-10 as a cheap means of transportation to make 20 mile commute to and from work and the car has grown on me soo much that I have started to invest money into her to bring the mechanical systems back to top notch opperating condition. Future plans include SR20DET and an aggressively tuned suspension for street and some autocross. As of now, my money is being invested on bushings, motor mounts, new brake rotors, rear calipers braided brake lines, CV shafts and exhaust that isn't cobbled together and replacing the rubber exhaust hangers. All of this current work isn't exciting by any means, but when it's completed, I will be able to fully enjoy each mod I perform thereafter and more importantly, it's the safe way to start modding my car.
I'm glad I have a place like G20.net to come to when in need of anything having to do with my P-10.....Thanks guys

#46 ·
some of the best advice to those who constantly ask the cliche "whats the best mod"....."cheep"..."quick".... "easy" etc. we all at some point started off as noobs, but what seperated us car enthusiast from one anoher is who took the time to research and read up on the ups and down, top to bottom of their current or potential cars before jumping into a mod/upgrade blindly. i have had my 96g for over 5 yrs kept up on maintenance done subtle "mods" and changes here and there but did the best i could with researching said procedures before doing anything. though i do not have many number of posts status i have been a member for a few years an surf through the forum continuously to better my knowledge of these fine cars an the support of all you fine ladys an gents! heres to everyone on G20.net :thumbsup:

#48 ·
True that ^^^ and sometimes you can save alot of money doing your own troubleshooting
FE: I have an 01 exterra that out of nowhere started to ran like crap after it warmed up but just fine while it was cold...
After a bit of looking around and checking components and doing some research on some forums it came down to being the distributor
End result was a couple days of troubleshooting and research and the third day of replacing the dist. where other x owners spent gobs loads of money takin em to shops that where just throwing parts at em with little to most likely no success
X down for 3days, 250 on dist+cap+rotor w/lifetime warranty an runs like a champ ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.