Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today at work i wanted to start the engine, i hear some relais clicking and all of a sudden
major smoke from the engine bay. After that no power in the car. The only thing that works are my lights and my clock. Must be shortage in the main wiring loom, all the fuses are ok. I hope i can fix it but it may be the end :( .

Luppo

·
'Luke'
5,319 Posts
Why should it be the end Luppo ? It might take a while to locate it, but then it's just a amtter of replacing a wire. keep us posted.

Kom op man, kost effe tijd/zoekwerk maar het is alleen maar electrisch....

·
Registered
82 Posts
If your battery was low it was probably caused by the starter cable getting really hot from too much resistance. I would start by checking the cable from the battery to the starter and all the wires surrounding it.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really should check what the problem is, but i do need a car for work. Because the lack of time i might need to buy a small car to get me to work and try to fix the eGT in the weekends.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It deffo is the main wiring loom, wich i have to replace. I do happen to have a complete wiring loom lying in the garage wich means she'll be back on the road again. The only thing is i don't have much time on my hands so i looked at another car. I almost bought a
100nx wich i'm gonna look at this saturday.

Luppo

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the eGT up and running again, it ended up beeing the switch behind the ignition key thingy(dunno how to translate :dead: ) Everything works just fine exept the power windows wich i'll have to take a look at. The only thing i'm wondering is why did smoke come from under the hood and why was the battery warm? When i came back from a little spin i checked every loom under the hood again but everything seemed fine. Pretty weird stuff if you ask me.

Luppo

·
Registered
430 Posts
odin said:
it ended up beeing the switch behind the ignition key thingy(dunno how to translate :dead: )
Luppo
the starter relay? or the tumbler? or even the starter selonoid?

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
odin said:
I got the eGT up and running again, it ended up beeing the switch behind the ignition key thingy(dunno how to translate :dead: )

That would be the ignition switch...pretty simple eh :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
huh? ok im used to the american made cars that have like a ten step system to start a car.

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
Well the starter relay and starter solenoid are not behind the ignition key and the tumbler is what the key goes into. On the back of the ignition barrel there is a multi position switch and funnily enough it's called the ignition switch.

The only difference with starting our cars have is that most (including the P10) don't have a clutch interlock switch. They must think we're smart enough to check the gear position before we start the car :lick:

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
markbuts3 said:
The only difference with starting our cars have is that most (including the P10) don't have a clutch interlock switch. They must think we're smart enough to check the gear position before we start the car :lick:
Really? I know my car won't start without the clutch in all the way.

·
Registered
430 Posts
thefultonhow said:
Really? I know my car won't start without the clutch in all the way.
oh ok. makes sence and and for the quote. if its in nuetral it should stert

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
4dollarg20 said:
if its in nuetral it should stert
I can't test right now because my car is halfway down the coast, but I don't think it does. Can anyone confirm?

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
thefultonhow said:
I can't test right now because my car is halfway down the coast, but I don't think it does. Can anyone confirm?
It won't. The neutral switch isn't even in the starting circuit from what I can see.

The clutch must be pressed to allow power to the starter solenoid on US cars.

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
perhaps the ignition switch was stuck momentarily closing the starting circuit, causing the battery cable to get really hot and burn off some stuff. thats my guess for the smoke coming from under the hood. ive seen cables/terminals turn orange before.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts