Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in my ongoing struggle to get my diverside front door functional, ponder the following and see if you have any new suggestions:

Problem: Door will not lock or unlock with power door button. '92 auto P10.

Symptoms: A weird grindy-whirring sound from the actuator/latch mechanism. The bars (such as the ones to the actual lock switch) move, but not enough to actually latch the lock. If I grab the bars manually and push them up, the lock switch latches but even this is a little difficult.

Actions so far: Replaced the door and all door internals with ones from a '96 EXCEPT actuator ('original '92 and another used one), wiring harness (original) and possibly the latch that hooks to the door frame (can't remember if that was compatible). The door is sitting a bit cock-eyed since I couldn't straighten it very well. I don't know if that matters or not.

I guessing that I should try a new latch mechanism or maybe a new actuator? Could the wiring in the harness be bad? All the connections seem fine. Any other suggestions?

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
sounds like something ieither bent or the actuator its self is at fualt. you se you are getting ction in lock and unlock but grinding noise so switches and such are doing ther job but something is binding. you should with the door panel off switch unlock nd lock and seeexctlly what is going on. If you remove the actuator and can freely lock and unlock components manuly in the same position the actuator is at fualt. but if you cn not something is binding or bent putting stress on the actuator and killing it in time

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
p10det said:
If you remove the actuator and can freely lock and unlock components manuly in the same position the actuator is at fualt. but if you cn not something is binding or bent putting stress on the actuator and killing it in time

OK, I replaced the driver door latch as well and all the metal bars that connect the locks and such. Same issue. So I took your advice (sort of) and tried locking and unlocking manually with the car off. All the locks work fine. Hmmmmm.....

So with the car on, not only is the left front door not latching but also the right. So when I try to lock the door from eith left or right front, I get the whiring sound and the locks pop open. Since everything in the left front door has been replaced (except the wiring) I'm thinking its not the acuator in there. Since the right side one also does the same thing now that throws a monkey in the wrench.

So I come to my follow-up: Could it be that a bad actuator (or something else screwy) in the passenger door is causing my issues? Could it be something else, like the power lock console switch? Some bad wiring elsewhere?

Come on people, I need some serious help here. This thing is driving me crazy! I don't want to have to go to the stealership!

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
so the rear doors lock electroniclly? If not the ignition key switch could be bad and reading key alwys in the ingnition. But if the other doors do not have problem then that is unlikely

·
Registered
504 Posts
The power lock center console switch can sometimes cause problems. Before I replaced mine it would stick part way to lock or unlock. Then the remote fob wouldn't work.

One thing for certain is that you must be able to manual lock and unlock smoothly. The other is that actuators do occasionally need to be replaced.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
davemac said:
The power lock center console switch can sometimes cause problems. Before I replaced mine it would stick part way to lock or unlock. Then the remote fob wouldn't work.

One thing for certain is that you must be able to manual lock and unlock smoothly. The other is that actuators do occasionally need to be replaced.

Mine do stick half way sometimes but only when the power is on whether I push the center console button or not. Otherwise everything goes fine when the power is off. The center console button did stop working intermittently before but I haven't had a problem with that for months. Might need to pull that.

As for the back locks, I'm not sure if they lock or not with the power button. There seems to be some kind of failsafe involved. If all the doors are unlocked and I press the lock button with the power on, it tries to lock the doors, goes about half way with whirry-grindy noises (I've only noticed this with the fronts since thats where I'm sitting), then pops them all open. The backs may actually lock then open with the rest of them but I'll have to check that for sure. Sometimes it will keep trying to lock them and get stuck in a loop - open half way, close, open half way, close, etc until I pull the sensor in the door.

So next course of action: Pull the center console buttons and see if putting new(er) ones in will help.

Thanks guys. If anyone else has a suggestion, I'm all ears.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My drivers door was having similar issues recently. I could hear a whirring sound too. I took the door apart and lubed every metal part associated with the locking mechanism. Occassionally, I had a hard time locking the door while inside (by manually pushing on the lock...not the electronic button).

I think something is bent on mine but couldn't see it. It did help to lube it up and only occassionally sticks (which is why I think it is a metal part vs. something electronic).

Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts